serial/parallel port access unde windows and linux

serial/parallel port access unde windows and linux

Petr-9
Hello everyone!
I would like to access a POS printer from VW, which can be connected to
serial or parallel port. Is there a way to write and read from these
ports? I found very little information about this on google and there is
no package to do this in the public repository.
Oh and sorry if you are getting this message again, I tried to send it
through gmane yesterday, but it probably got lost somewhere.

Thanks
Petr

Re: serial/parallel port access unde windows and linux

Janko Mivšek
Petr, there is a parcel named Serial in Goodies/parc (in Contributed on
vw7.4), which enable you to use serial ports both on Win an Linux.

BEst regards
Janko

Petr wrote:

> Hello everyone!
> I would like to access a POS printer from VW, which can be connected to
> serial or parallel port. Is there a way to write and read from these
> ports? I found very little information about this on google and there is
> no package to do this in the public repository.
> Oh and sorry if you are getting this message again, I tried to send it
> through gmane yesterday, but it probably got lost somewhere.
>
> Thanks
> Petr

Re: serial/parallel port access unde windows and linux

Petr-9
great, thanks Janko. And what about the parallel port? I found IOST at
http://www.smalltalking.net/Goodies/VisualWorks/. Anyone knows if it works?

Petr

Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Petr, there is a parcel named Serial in Goodies/parc (in Contributed on
> vw7.4), which enable you to use serial ports both on Win an Linux.
>
> BEst regards
> Janko
>
> Petr wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone!
>> I would like to access a POS printer from VW, which can be connected
>> to serial or parallel port. Is there a way to write and read from
>> these ports? I found very little information about this on google and
>> there is no package to do this in the public repository.
>> Oh and sorry if you are getting this message again, I tried to send it
>> through gmane yesterday, but it probably got lost somewhere.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Petr

Re: serial/parallel port access unde windows and linux/ USB ?

Charles A. Monteiro-2
on a related thread, how would it work to go through USB? I forget is USB
supposed to be a much more optimized form of a serial interface? Being
able to communicate thru serial would be fantastic, nowadays most music
gear even provide midi interface via USB, GPS devices, bio-scanners used
for security apps, etc. I think that USB support would open up a lot of
apps to VW.

-Charles

Charles A. Monteiro

Re: serial/parallel port access unde windows and linux

Petr-9
Janko,
I loaded the Serial package and tried test it. Unfortunately it has no
Windows support (Unix, Mac and OS/2 seems to be there).
Any ideas?

Petr

Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Petr, there is a parcel named Serial in Goodies/parc (in Contributed on
> vw7.4), which enable you to use serial ports both on Win an Linux.
>
> BEst regards
> Janko
>
> Petr wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone!
>> I would like to access a POS printer from VW, which can be connected
>> to serial or parallel port. Is there a way to write and read from
>> these ports? I found very little information about this on google and
>> there is no package to do this in the public repository.
>> Oh and sorry if you are getting this message again, I tried to send it
>> through gmane yesterday, but it probably got lost somewhere.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Petr

Re: serial/parallel port access unde windows and linux/ USB ?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Charles A. Monteiro wrote:
> on a related thread, how would it work to go through USB? I forget is
> USB supposed to be a much more optimized form of a serial interface?
> Being able to communicate thru serial would be fantastic, nowadays
> most music gear even provide midi interface via USB, GPS devices,
> bio-scanners used for security apps, etc. I think that USB support
> would open up a lot of apps to VW.

Mind you, a lot of such devices provide driver APIs that require no
communication with USB interface directly, so it wouldn't be as much of
an issue?

Cheers!

-Boris

> -Charles
>
> On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 06:51:40 -0500, Petr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> great, thanks Janko. And what about the parallel port? I found IOST
>> at http://www.smalltalking.net/Goodies/VisualWorks/. Anyone knows if
>> it works?
>>
>> Petr
>>

>> Janko Mivšek wrote:
>>> Petr, there is a parcel named Serial in Goodies/parc (in Contributed
>>> on vw7.4), which enable you to use serial ports both on Win an Linux.
>>>  BEst regards
>>> Janko

> --Charles A. Monteiro

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Re: serial/parallel port access unde windows and linux/ USB ?

Charles A. Monteiro-2
I guess but I know of at least one GPS app project example where the issue
was one of pumping a protocol through the serial interface. Secondly, and
I may be wrong I believe that pumping midi through USB is just that i.e.
one does the comm thing , open the port whatever, pump in, close etc.
Also, there is a Columbia professor , one of our regulars at NYC Stug,
that for the longest has been working on this robotics project where they
talk to devices via a serial interface and I heard mention of being able
to do that through USB.

Having said that , my Garmin GPS units do have drivers but they are only
available for Windows. If these drivers were just simply talking through
USB, and if I knew the "speak" would I not then be able to support talking
to said devices from other OS platforms?

I'm clueless about USB but I'm of the opinion that anything that is a
standards based comm thing that we ought to be able to support that
natively i.e. rather than depend on being able to DLLCC via a  C/C++ based
driver.

-Charles

Charles A. Monteiro

Re: serial/parallel port access unde windows and linux/ USB ?

Petr-9
As far as I know, GPS usually connect to PC over serial line and the
protocol is pretty easy. Some of the new devices use bluetooth or
whatever, but anyway, I think they still emulate a serial port, so that
you can use them with any map software.
My problem with serial/parallel port is, that I need to do the stuff
muliplatform (unix/windows). And my second problem is, that I am
basically a Smalltalk beginner and I have no idea how to work with such
low level stuff in ST.

Petr

Charles A. Monteiro wrote:

> I guess but I know of at least one GPS app project example where the
> issue  was one of pumping a protocol through the serial interface.
> Secondly, and  I may be wrong I believe that pumping midi through USB is
> just that i.e.  one does the comm thing , open the port whatever, pump
> in, close etc.  Also, there is a Columbia professor , one of our
> regulars at NYC Stug,  that for the longest has been working on this
> robotics project where they  talk to devices via a serial interface and
> I heard mention of being able  to do that through USB.
>
> Having said that , my Garmin GPS units do have drivers but they are
> only  available for Windows. If these drivers were just simply talking
> through  USB, and if I knew the "speak" would I not then be able to
> support talking  to said devices from other OS platforms?
>
> I'm clueless about USB but I'm of the opinion that anything that is a
> standards based comm thing that we ought to be able to support that
> natively i.e. rather than depend on being able to DLLCC via a  C/C++
> based  driver.
>
> -Charles
>
> On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:00:44 -0500, Boris Popov
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Charles A. Monteiro wrote:
>>
>>> on a related thread, how would it work to go through USB? I forget is
>>> USB supposed to be a much more optimized form of a serial interface?
>>> Being able to communicate thru serial would be fantastic, nowadays
>>> most music gear even provide midi interface via USB, GPS devices,
>>> bio-scanners used for security apps, etc. I think that USB support
>>> would open up a lot of apps to VW.
>>

>> Mind you, a lot of such devices provide driver APIs that require no
>> communication with USB interface directly, so it wouldn't be as much of
>> an issue?
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> -Boris
>>

>>> -Charles

>>> --Charles A. Monteiro
>>

>> -Boris

Re: serial/parallel port access unde windows and linux/ USB ?

Charles A. Monteiro-2
Again I'm clueless about USB, but are you saying that when I connect from
my notebook via USB to my Garmin GPS that it is basically doing the same
speak as it would if hooked to a serial device? If so, when one does that
does one still enjoy the increased speeds of USB? It would seem so, the
unit seems pretty responsive.

If anything working with such low level stuff in ST is something that a
Smalltalk beginner would be able to do easieri.e. given that he/she knows
where to find the code, usually one fat class with a clear cut api i.e.
not too many object collaborations. ExternalInterfaces tend to be that way.

-Charles

--
Charles A. Monteiro