setter method

Kateryna Aloshkina
Hi everybody!

I've just joined the community:) and have a question
How to write the method count: such that, when invoked on an instance of Counter, instance variable is set to the argument given to the message?
so that
Counter new count: 7
would set the value of a new Counter instance to 7
(It is a little exercise from http://rmod-pharo-mooc.lille.inria.fr/MOOC/Exercises/Exo-Counter.pdf)

Best wishes,
Kateryna

Re: setter method

Ben Coman
On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 1:39 AM, Kateryna Aloshkina
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everybody!
>
> I've just joined the community:) and have a question
> How to write the method count: such that, when invoked on an instance of
> Counter, instance variable is set to the argument given to the message?
> so that
> Counter new count: 7
> would set the value of a new Counter instance to 7
> (It is a little exercise from
> http://rmod-pharo-mooc.lille.inria.fr/MOOC/Exercises/Exo-Counter.pdf)
>

> Best wishes,
> Kateryna

Welcome Kateryna,
I hope you are having fun and Pharo changes the way you think about programming.

Referring to Figure 1.2, assuming you've already created the class,
first make sure you are on the instance-side rather than the class-side
of the class such that the class definition in the bottom (code) pane
looks just like Figure 1.2.  Click the <Class> button to toggle which
side you look at.

Now in the third (protocols) pane on "no messages"
and you will get a method template in the code pane

Change... messageSelectorAndArgumentNames
to... count:

then change.... statements
to an assignment to the instance variable.
and <Accept> the the code to save & compile the method.

cheers -ben

Re: setter method

stepharong

Hi everybody!

I've just joined the community:) and have a question
How to write the method count: such that, when invoked on an instance of Counter, instance variable is set to the argument given to the message?
so that
Counter new count: 7
would set the value of a new Counter instance to 7
(It is a little exercise from http://rmod-pharo-mooc.lille.inria.fr/MOOC/Exercises/Exo-Counter.pdf)

did you check the videos?
because this is shown

count: anInteger