setting Windows Application Title Bar

Ben Coman

These past few days I've had several images open at the same time to
compare the operation of different versions, and found I quickly lost
track of exactly which image was which.  There is a lot of empty space
on application title bar after "Pharo 1.3" where I'd like to display the
directory where pharo.exe was started from.  Can this be changed on the
fly from the image? or a less attractive alternative... how do I query
the pharo.exe location from the Workspace, and/or update some text on
the background on startup.

cheers, Ben

Re: setting Windows Application Title Bar

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Ben Coman wrote
These past few days I've had several images open at the same time to
compare the operation of different versions, and found I quickly lost
track of exactly which image was which.  There is a lot of empty space
on application title bar after "Pharo 1.3" where I'd like to display the
directory where pharo.exe was started from.
+1 on the confusion, but I would want it to show the directory of the image (because I use the same VM for all my images) :) Maybe it could be a setting?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: setting Windows Application Title Bar

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 14 Dec 2011, at 18:12, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> +1 on the confusion, but I would want it to show the directory of the image
> (because I use the same VM for all my images) :) Maybe it could be a
> setting?

Yes that could be useful, although I don't really need it, my images have different names (and I always use the same VM).

It should definitively be a setting.

Re: setting Windows Application Title Bar

Ben Coman
Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
Ben Coman wrote

These past few days I've had several images open at the same time to
compare the operation of different versions, and found I quickly lost
track of exactly which image was which.  There is a lot of empty space
on application title bar after "Pharo 1.3" where I'd like to display the
directory where pharo.exe was started from.

+1 on the confusion, but I would want it to show the directory of the image
(because I use the same VM for all my images) :) Maybe it could be a
setting?

With some serendipity I noticed that the Croquet.exe I used to get ODBC working last night was displaying the image path in the Window Title Bar - pretty much just what I wanted.  I discovered that removing the line "WindowTitle=Pharo 1.3" from "pharo.ini" replicated this. /*grin*/

Regarding the other thread discussing the "startup preferences" across multiple images, could the ability be provided the "delete" preferences already set in the "pharo.ini" that comes with the OneClick download ?

cheers, Ben

Re: setting Windows Application Title Bar

Gary Chambers-4
For Windows (in this example), it is possible (nastily) to change as you like...

(HostWindowProxy new instVarNamed: #windowHandle put: Win32Window getFocus; yourself)
  windowTitle: 'Title here'.

Could add a class to startup to change based on various things, of course...

Just mentioning as we are about to do deployed stuff based on a variable configuration running "fullscreen".

Regards, Gary