setting up a blog?

johnmci
Ok, I'm not clear on how to setup a blog given the base pier
installation from MC. There is an
add blog cmd in the command, then a number of blog components in the
add component logic.

However I'm not quite sure what the steps are to put a blog into a new
wiki are? Plus any changes
to the environment that are needed.

Right now if I add a blog, then add a blog archive I just get "no blog
found"  since

findBlog
        ^ self context structure parents reverse
                detect: [ :each | each isKindOf: PBBlog ]
                ifNone: [ nil ]

doesn't find the PBBlog

Obviously some structure/steps are required beyond the let's try this
and see what happens.

--
=
=

Re: setting up a blog?

Damien Cassou-3
On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 7:00 AM, John M McIntosh
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, I'm not clear on how to setup a blog given the base pier installation
> from MC. There is an
> add blog cmd in the command, then a number of blog components in the add
> component logic.
>
> However I'm not quite sure what the steps are to put a blog into a new wiki
> are? Plus any changes
> to the environment that are needed.
>
> Right now if I add a blog, then add a blog archive I just get "no blog
> found"  since
>
> findBlog
>        ^ self context structure parents reverse
>                detect: [ :each | each isKindOf: PBBlog ]
>                ifNone: [ nil ]
>
> doesn't find the PBBlog
>
> Obviously some structure/steps are required beyond the let's try this and
> see what happens.

You may want to download Pier-Setup and execute 'PRDistribution new
register'. That will erase default Pier kernel and replace with with a
new one, with a good-looking css some default pages and a blog. Here
is the list of packages I install in a new pharo-web image related to
Pier:

       instClass := Smalltalk at: #Installer.

        instClass lukas
                project: 'pier';
                answer:  'Would you like.*' with: true;
                answer:  '.*name of your Pier kernel.*' with: 'Pier';
                answer:  '.*entry point.*' with: 'pier';
                answer:  '.*port number.*' with: '8080';
                installQuietly: 'Pier-All';
                install: 'Pier-Squeak-Persistency'.

        instClass lukas
                project: 'pieraddons';
                install: 'Pier-Design';
                install: 'Pier-Documents';
                install: 'Pier-EditorEnh';
                install: 'Pier-Google';
                install: 'Pier-LightBox';
                answer:  '.*SlideShare.*' with: '';
                install: 'Pier-Links';
                install: 'Pier-Randomizer';
                install: 'Pier-Setup';
                install: 'Pier-SyntaxHighlighter';
                install: 'Pier-TagCloud';
                install: 'Pier-Titles';
                install: 'Pier-Twitter';
                install: 'Sitemap'.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: setting up a blog?

johnmci

On 9-Apr-09, at 12:50 AM, Damien Cassou wrote:
> You may want to download Pier-Setup and execute 'PRDistribution new
> register'. That will erase default Pier kernel and replace with with a
> new one, with a good-looking css some default pages and a blog. Here
> is the list of packages I install in a new pharo-web image related to
> Pier:

Yes, but I want to do it via Add Components so I can fill out

http://www.mobilewikiserver.com/Wiki_Add_Blog.html

Although I could supply a premade one via smalltalk objects creating
the required objects, it
likely someone would like to do it manually from a browser.
--
=
=
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
=
=
=

Re: setting up a blog?

Tudor Girba-3
Hi,

I added the followings to the faq:

How to setup a blog?
        • Invoke the Add command and select Blog from the dropdown menu.
        • To get the archive in the blog, add an Blog Archive component
somewhere else, and embed it in the environment of the Blog
How to post to a blog?
        • Go to the blog
        • Invoke the Add command and select Post
        • Entry the content
        • If you want to publish it for everyone to see, enter the
publication date (you can also click on the current button)

Does this help?

Cheers,
Doru

On 10 Apr 2009, at 11:01, John M McIntosh wrote:

> On 9-Apr-09, at 12:50 AM, Damien Cassou wrote:
>> You may want to download Pier-Setup and execute 'PRDistribution new
>> register'. That will erase default Pier kernel and replace with
>> with a
>> new one, with a good-looking css some default pages and a blog. Here
>> is the list of packages I install in a new pharo-web image related to
>> Pier:
>
> Yes, but I want to do it via Add Components so I can fill out
>
> http://www.mobilewikiserver.com/Wiki_Add_Blog.html
>
> Although I could supply a premade one via smalltalk objects creating
> the required objects, it
> likely someone would like to do it manually from a browser.
> --
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://
> www.smalltalkconsulting.com
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =

www.tudorgirba.com

"Relationships are of two kinds: those we choose and those that
happen. They both matter."

Re: setting up a blog?

Lukas Renggli
> Right now if I add a blog, then add a blog archive I just get "no blog
> found"  since
>
> findBlog
>        ^ self context structure parents reverse
>                detect: [ :each | each isKindOf: PBBlog ]
>                ifNone: [ nil ]
>
> doesn't find the PBBlog

Right now all the blog related components (with the exception of the
block ticker), expect to be used within the context of a blog.
Otherwise they display the error message "no blog found".

I agree that this is not ideal in many cases, because it forces users
of a blog to create a new environment. Below you find a few possible
solutions, but none of them really convinces me:

- Blog related components could just hide when being displayed outside
of a blog. Maybe that's confusing too, if you add something and but
can't see it?

- Blog related components could expect you to specify a blog in their
settings. That would make everything very declarative, but would
prevent from reusing the templates on different blogs. However the
widgets could also be part of documents or displayed as a summary on
the home page. Maybe that solution isn't that bad after all?

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: setting up a blog?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 6:35 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I added the followings to the faq:

How to setup a blog?
       • Invoke the Add command and select Blog from the dropdown menu.

To get the archive in the blog, add an Blog Archive component somewhere else, and embed it in the environment of the Blog

Doru, thanks for the help.

I didn't understand this point. I don't have Blog Archive component. I only have PBPostArchive. However, I don't know how to embed it into the enviorment of the blog. Add command in blog, only shows me "post".

Sorry for the newbies questions :)

Mariano

[...]

Hi Mariano,

The Environment is the page that defines the template for the current
structure :). You can see it via the Edit Design Command.

In the Pier 1.1.1 distribution, the environment of /blog is /
blogenvironment. If you go to /blog and Edit Design, you will see that
you have a +/environment/blogarchive+. This means that the component
blogarchive resides somewhere else (in this case under /environment)
and it is embedded when the blog is rendered.

Indeed, the class is PBPostArchive, but in the ui menu it appears
under the name of 'Archive' in the 'Blog' grouping.

For the code to produce this setup, please take a look in
PRDistribution from the Pier-Setup package.

Cheers,
Doru

On 14 Apr 2009, at 04:21, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 6:35 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I added the followings to the faq:
>
> How to setup a blog?
>        • Invoke the Add command and select Blog from the dropdown
> menu.
>

> To get the archive in the blog, add an Blog Archive component
> somewhere else, and embed it in the environment of the Blog
>
> Doru, thanks for the help.
>
> I didn't understand this point. I don't have Blog Archive component.
> I only have PBPostArchive. However, I don't know how to embed it
> into the enviorment of the blog. Add command in blog, only shows me
> "post".
>
> Sorry for the newbies questions :)
>
> Mariano
>

> How to post to a blog?
>        • Go to the blog
>        • Invoke the Add command and select Post
>        • Entry the content
>        • If you want to publish it for everyone to see, enter the
> publication date (you can also click on the current button)
>

> Does this help?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 10 Apr 2009, at 11:01, John M McIntosh wrote:
>

> On 9-Apr-09, at 12:50 AM, Damien Cassou wrote:
> You may want to download Pier-Setup and execute 'PRDistribution new
> register'. That will erase default Pier kernel and replace with with a
> new one, with a good-looking css some default pages and a blog. Here
> is the list of packages I install in a new pharo-web image related to
> Pier:
>
> Yes, but I want to do it via Add Components so I can fill out
>
> http://www.mobilewikiserver.com/Wiki_Add_Blog.html
>
> Although I could supply a premade one via smalltalk objects creating
> the required objects, it
> likely someone would like to do it manually from a browser.
> --
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://
> www.smalltalkconsulting.com
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Relationships are of two kinds: those we choose and those that
> happen. They both matter."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Speaking louder won't make your point worthier."