setting up nautilus on 1.4

Johann Hibschman
Hi all,

I just joined this list for real, although I've been following the RSS
feed for a month now. In short, I'm a rank amateur.

I just tried upgrading to Pharo 1.4. As has been discussed, the
default browser doesn't have any refactoring support, so I tried to
install Nautilus, following Mariano Peck's blog post of 2012-02-26.
(This was actually my first use of Gofer.)

It seems to work, but I can't bring up the browser menu with
Command-click any more. Did the standard "action click" change
somewhere, or is this just an idiosyncrasy of Nautilus? I do most of
my work with a MacBook, so I only have one mouse button. If I do the
"two finger click", I can can bring up the menu, but that's awkward.
Is there a setting somewhere that I can use to bring back
command-click? Control-click is the more standard modified-click on
the Mac, but that seems to be used by some morphic menu.

Basically, since I'm pretty new, I don't know whether this change in
behavior is expected or whether it's due to a mistake of my own. Is
there a Nautilus list I could ask this on? Is there a different
browser that I should try? (I just want method renaming, no "fancy"
refactorings.)

Regards,

Johann

Re: setting up nautilus on 1.4

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Hello Johan,

Welcome !

I hope you'll enjoy Pharo as much as we do.

On 23 Apr 2012, at 15:07, Johann Hibschman wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just joined this list for real, although I've been following the RSS
> feed for a month now. In short, I'm a rank amateur.
>
> I just tried upgrading to Pharo 1.4. As has been discussed, the
> default browser doesn't have any refactoring support, so I tried to
> install Nautilus, following Mariano Peck's blog post of 2012-02-26.
> (This was actually my first use of Gofer.)
>
> It seems to work, but I can't bring up the browser menu with
> Command-click any more. Did the standard "action click" change
> somewhere, or is this just an idiosyncrasy of Nautilus? I do most of
> my work with a MacBook, so I only have one mouse button. If I do the
> "two finger click", I can can bring up the menu, but that's awkward.
> Is there a setting somewhere that I can use to bring back
> command-click? Control-click is the more standard modified-click on
> the Mac, but that seems to be used by some morphic menu.
>
> Basically, since I'm pretty new, I don't know whether this change in
> behavior is expected or whether it's due to a mistake of my own. Is
> there a Nautilus list I could ask this on? Is there a different
> browser that I should try? (I just want method renaming, no "fancy"
> refactorings.)
>
> Regards,
>
> Johann

Yes, you are right:

In Nautilus' Browser, control-click brings up a Morph related menu, as everywhere else in Pharo 1.4.
In the browser's top lists, command-click does not seem to work.
In the browser's code pane, command-click works if you are not on a method name or class,
because then you open a new browser on that symbol.

I personally like the two-finger click on the trackpad for menus.

I cc'ed the dev list (which has more traffic), so Benjamin (Nautilus' author) can comment.

Regards,

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu

Re: setting up nautilus on 1.4

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)

On Apr 23, 2012, at 3:07 PM, Johann Hibschman wrote:

Hi all,

I just joined this list for real, although I've been following the RSS
feed for a month now. In short, I'm a rank amateur.

Welcome :) I hope you will have fun here with us ^^

I just tried upgrading to Pharo 1.4. As has been discussed, the
default browser doesn't have any refactoring support, so I tried to
install Nautilus, following Mariano Peck's blog post of 2012-02-26.
(This was actually my first use of Gofer.)

It seems to work, but I can't bring up the browser menu with
Command-click any more. Did the standard "action click" change
somewhere, or is this just an idiosyncrasy of Nautilus? I do most of
my work with a MacBook, so I only have one mouse button. If I do the
"two finger click", I can can bring up the menu, but that's awkward.
Is there a setting somewhere that I can use to bring back
command-click? Control-click is the more standard modified-click on
the Mac, but that seems to be used by some morphic menu.

It used to be a bug. But it also seems it reappears :)
And proposed a fix :)

Basically, since I'm pretty new, I don't know whether this change in
behavior is expected or whether it's due to a mistake of my own. Is
there a Nautilus list I could ask this on? Is there a different
browser that I should try? (I just want method renaming, no "fancy"
refactorings.)

It comes form the list widget itself, not Nautilus :)
Thanks for your feedback,

Ben

Regards,

Johann

Re: setting up nautilus on 1.4

On Apr 23, 2012, at 3:07 PM, Johann Hibschman wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just joined this list for real, although I've been following the RSS
> feed for a month now. In short, I'm a rank amateur.

Welcome :)

> I just tried upgrading to Pharo 1.4. As has been discussed, the
> default browser doesn't have any refactoring support, so I tried to
> install Nautilus, following Mariano Peck's blog post of 2012-02-26.
> (This was actually my first use of Gofer.)

You can also download nautilus image from the jenkins server.
Now I do not know if there is a version for 1.4

> It seems to work, but I can't bring up the browser menu with
> Command-click any more. Did the standard "action click" change
> somewhere, or is this just an idiosyncrasy of Nautilus? I do most of
> my work with a MacBook, so I only have one mouse button. If I do the
> "two finger click", I can can bring up the menu, but that's awkward.
> Is there a setting somewhere that I can use to bring back
> command-click? Control-click is the more standard modified-click on
> the Mac, but that seems to be used by some morphic menu.
>
> Basically, since I'm pretty new, I don't know whether this change in
> behavior is expected or whether it's due to a mistake of my own. Is
> there a Nautilus list I could ask this on? Is there a different
> browser that I should try? (I just want method renaming, no "fancy"
> refactorings.)
>
> Regards,
>
> Johann

Re: setting up nautilus on 1.4

Johann Hibschman
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 8:35 AM, Benjamin
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Welcome :) I hope you will have fun here with us ^^

Well, so far I'm having fun. It's a nice break from the daily grind.

> It used to be a bug. But it also seems it reappears :)
> I have open a bug
> entry: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5666
> And proposed a fix :)

Thanks, that was quick. For now, I can try to get used to the
two-finger-click, or just move from the couch to the table where I can
plug in my mouse. The two-finger click isn't bad, but I'm not
accustomed to it, and it came as a surprise, since I'd been
cmd-clicking everything else in Pharo. (Also, it sounds like a
euphemism for some rude gesture.)

From a practical point of view, if there is a change, would it appear
in the main Pharo development image, or somewhere else? I'm a little
uncertain what the right way to stay up-to-date is. So far, I've only
used Monticello as a local RCS for my own code, but presumably that's
where I should be pulling in updates to other packages.

Regards,
Johann

Re: setting up nautilus on 1.4

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
You can either download a new image from Jenkins (my choice if there is more than 3-4 version to load) or you can click on World -> System -> Software update (and take a coffee break ^^)

Ben

On Apr 23, 2012, at 4:42 PM, Johann Hibschman wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 8:35 AM, Benjamin
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Welcome :) I hope you will have fun here with us ^^
>
> Well, so far I'm having fun. It's a nice break from the daily grind.
>
>> It used to be a bug. But it also seems it reappears :)
>> I have open a bug
>> entry: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5666
>> And proposed a fix :)
>
> Thanks, that was quick. For now, I can try to get used to the
> two-finger-click, or just move from the couch to the table where I can
> plug in my mouse. The two-finger click isn't bad, but I'm not
> accustomed to it, and it came as a surprise, since I'd been
> cmd-clicking everything else in Pharo. (Also, it sounds like a
> euphemism for some rude gesture.)
>
> From a practical point of view, if there is a change, would it appear
> in the main Pharo development image, or somewhere else? I'm a little
> uncertain what the right way to stay up-to-date is. So far, I've only
> used Monticello as a local RCS for my own code, but presumably that's
> where I should be pulling in updates to other packages.
>
> Regards,
> Johann

Re: setting up nautilus on 1.4

Stéphane Ducasse
Ben
        do you have a version for 1.4 and 2.0?
        because 2.0 will get wild :).

Stef

On Apr 23, 2012, at 4:47 PM, Benjamin wrote:

> You can either download a new image from Jenkins (my choice if there is more than 3-4 version to load) or you can click on World -> System -> Software update (and take a coffee break ^^)
>

> Ben
>
> On Apr 23, 2012, at 4:42 PM, Johann Hibschman wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 8:35 AM, Benjamin
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Welcome :) I hope you will have fun here with us ^^
>>
>> Well, so far I'm having fun. It's a nice break from the daily grind.
>>
>>> It used to be a bug. But it also seems it reappears :)
>>> I have open a bug
>>> entry: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5666
>>> And proposed a fix :)
>>
>> Thanks, that was quick. For now, I can try to get used to the
>> two-finger-click, or just move from the couch to the table where I can
>> plug in my mouse. The two-finger click isn't bad, but I'm not
>> accustomed to it, and it came as a surprise, since I'd been
>> cmd-clicking everything else in Pharo. (Also, it sounds like a
>> euphemism for some rude gesture.)
>>
>> From a practical point of view, if there is a change, would it appear
>> in the main Pharo development image, or somewhere else? I'm a little
>> uncertain what the right way to stay up-to-date is. So far, I've only
>> used Monticello as a local RCS for my own code, but presumably that's
>> where I should be pulling in updates to other packages.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Johann

Re: setting up nautilus on 1.4

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
I still have my build for 1.4 :)

I think I will fork the build (and configuration) soon ;)

Ben

On Apr 23, 2012, at 5:22 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Ben
> do you have a version for 1.4 and 2.0?
> because 2.0 will get wild :).
>
> Stef
>

> On Apr 23, 2012, at 4:47 PM, Benjamin wrote:
>
>> You can either download a new image from Jenkins (my choice if there is more than 3-4 version to load) or you can click on World -> System -> Software update (and take a coffee break ^^)
>>

>> Ben
>>
>> On Apr 23, 2012, at 4:42 PM, Johann Hibschman wrote:

>>> Well, so far I'm having fun. It's a nice break from the daily grind.

>>> Thanks, that was quick. For now, I can try to get used to the
>>> two-finger-click, or just move from the couch to the table where I can
>>> plug in my mouse. The two-finger click isn't bad, but I'm not
>>> accustomed to it, and it came as a surprise, since I'd been
>>> cmd-clicking everything else in Pharo. (Also, it sounds like a
>>> euphemism for some rude gesture.)
>>>
>>> From a practical point of view, if there is a change, would it appear
>>> in the main Pharo development image, or somewhere else? I'm a little
>>> uncertain what the right way to stay up-to-date is. So far, I've only
>>> used Monticello as a local RCS for my own code, but presumably that's
>>> where I should be pulling in updates to other packages.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Johann

Re: setting up nautilus on 1.4

Stéphane Ducasse
ok so that people can load a stable version for 1.4 and we can work on 2.0 :)