several questions

Bèrto ëd Sèra
Hi!

still asking myself questions after trying to deploy my prototype from
apache. After moving all my static files to
http://fileserver.voxhumanitatis.net everything is served correctly
(for everyone's info I'll add that serving webfonts to Firefox appears
to require some tweaking of apache you find documented here:
http://openfontlibrary.org/wiki/Web_Font_linking_and_Cross-Origin_Resource_Sharing
).

Anyway, I still run into a couple of weird issues.

1) static files that are indicated as contained in Public by the Iliad
code still appear to be loaded from the .star package, which probably
means I didn't fully get your explanations (see the Tree object arrow,
for example).
2) the aja_loader.gif doesn't get loaded at all. I made a customized
version of it in my Public, which works fine on the laptop, but on the
remote server I can't see neither of them (customised and original)
3) On FF only, lately it appears that not being focused anywhere
causes the last used div to flash. This is a common problem for many
sites (Facebook, to name one), but if possible I'd like to know how to
set focus somewhere
4) since I never reload the whole page, which allows me to have heavy
graphics because they only get sent once anyway, I simply do an ajax
update of some widget. I wonder whether it would be possible to inform
the browser that it's loading something, so that apart from the
ajax_loader gif one can also see the usual browser messages.

To get an idea of what I'm talking about you can open
http://www.voxhumanitatis.net/ambaradan (it's only supposed to work
with FF 3.5 or higher). Enter "Fruit" in the search box top right and
search it. Normally you'd see the animated loader gif here, but you
don't. You eventually get your results, anyway.

There no way you can damage data, no matter what you do, so feel free
to experiment, if needed.

Bèrto

--
==============================
Constitution du 24 juin 1793 - Article 35. - Quand le gouvernement
chaque portion du peuple, le plus sacré des droits et le plus
indispensable des devoirs.

Re: several questions

Nicolas Petton
Hi Bèrto!

> 1) static files that are indicated as contained in Public by the Iliad
> code still appear to be loaded from the .star package, which probably
> means I didn't fully get your explanations (see the Tree object arrow,
> for example).

If you want to put your directories to be served without keeping any of
the orginal ones, you can do:

Iliad.ILFileHandler directories: aCollectionOfDirectories

But I would rather simply remove all served directories, since you serve
static content with Apache.

Iliad.ILFileHandler directories: {}

But then be carefull, you have to add iliad.js and jQuery in your
directory served by Apache, else you won't have automatic AJAX. You can
also put your own images there, like a customized ajax_loader.gif

> 2) the aja_loader.gif doesn't get loaded at all. I made a customized
> version of it in my Public, which works fine on the laptop, but on the
> remote server I can't see neither of them (customised and original)

In iliad 0.8 the ajax loader is disabled by default. You can enable it
with: iliad.showAjaxLoader(true)

> 3) On FF only, lately it appears that not being focused anywhere
> causes the last used div to flash. This is a common problem for many
> sites (Facebook, to name one), but if possible I'd like to know how to
> set focus somewhere

I'm not sure I understand. If you want to set the focus to a form
element (input, etc) you can do it with some js code.

jQuery('#someID').focus()

> 4) since I never reload the whole page, which allows me to have heavy
> graphics because they only get sent once anyway, I simply do an ajax
> update of some widget. I wonder whether it would be possible to inform
> the browser that it's loading something, so that apart from the
> ajax_loader gif one can also see the usual browser messages.

What do you mean with usual browser messages?

> To get an idea of what I'm talking about you can open
> http://www.voxhumanitatis.net/ambaradan (it's only supposed to work
> with FF 3.5 or higher). Enter "Fruit" in the search box top right and
> search it. Normally you'd see the animated loader gif here, but you
> don't. You eventually get your results, anyway.

Yes, but it is very slow. It takes 1.5 seconds to get a response. Any
reason why it is so slow? Do you have very slow actions? Iliad should be
much faster than that.

Cheers,
Nico

Re: several questions

Bèrto ëd Sèra
Hi!

> Iliad.ILFileHandler directories: {}
Thanks!

> In iliad 0.8 the ajax loader is disabled by default. You can enable it
> with: iliad.showAjaxLoader(true)
I will need it, searches on huge text databases take time to answer.

> What do you mean with usual browser messages?
Usually I see a "Loading" message on my FF tab. I'm aware that this is
normally not the case on ajax calls, but since large databases may
take up to 4-5 secs to answer... it would be nice to make it crystal
clear that the button was pressed.

> Yes, but it is very slow. It takes 1.5 seconds to get a response. Any
> reason why it is so slow?

The reason is a multigigabyte postgreSQL DB doing a full-text search.
I will work on it for the rest of my carreer to make it as fast as I
can, but I'm afraid it will never be under several secs. it's just too
much stuff in it (up to a couple of billion expressions in thousands
of languages at full load). I can probably make it a bit better by
moving PG to a dedicated server, but I don't think it will make much
difference, in the end.

Bèrto

--
==============================
Constitution du 24 juin 1793 - Article 35. - Quand le gouvernement
viole les droits du peuple, l'insurrection est, pour le peuple et pour
chaque portion du peuple, le plus sacré des droits et le plus
indispensable des devoirs.

Re: several questions

Bèrto ëd Sèra
Oh, if you want to see a "no db answer time" try clicking on a
language (or script/region) name. That stuff is cached at startup, so
you have a dramatic difference in reaction time.

Bèrto

--
==============================
Constitution du 24 juin 1793 - Article 35. - Quand le gouvernement
viole les droits du peuple, l'insurrection est, pour le peuple et pour
chaque portion du peuple, le plus sacré des droits et le plus
indispensable des devoirs.

Re: several questions

Nicolas Petton
Le samedi 08 mai 2010 à 13:52 +0300, Bèrto ëd Sèra a écrit :
> Oh, if you want to see a "no db answer time" try clicking on a
> language (or script/region) name. That stuff is cached at startup, so
> you have a dramatic difference in reaction time.

Yes, I saw that :)

Nico

Re: several questions

Nicolas Petton
Le samedi 08 mai 2010 à 13:41 +0300, Bèrto ëd Sèra a écrit :
> > What do you mean with usual browser messages?
> Usually I see a "Loading" message on my FF tab. I'm aware that this is
> normally not the case on ajax calls, but since large databases may
> take up to 4-5 secs to answer... it would be nice to make it crystal
> clear that the button was pressed.

Ah, I see.

Unfortunately, I don't see a good solution right now.
An ugly trick should work :) Set your search form multipart.

e form beMultipart.

This way it will use the fake ajax upload used to upload files. It's
ugly, but it should work ;)

http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/nico/automatic-ajax-file-upload-iliad

Cheers,
Nico