shared/distributed objects

12

Re: shared/distributed objects

Frank Sergeant
"Roberto Lupi" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> On Thu, 8 Feb 2001 15:45:52 -0600,
> Frank Sergeant <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >If OmniBase had been available at the time and if I had known about it,
> >in Chamond Liu's book).  I am very happy with MetaKit and with Python.

> Have you tought about using Zope-related technologies (ZODB & ZPublisher
in
> aprticular) for the server part? You'd get a object database supporting

Yes, I've thought about it.  When I first took a quick look at ZODB, I
couldn't get a handle on how to use it.  Since then, it looks like much
better documentation is available.  If I ever get caught up, I will be
interested in taking another look at it.

> If you don't like python,

I like Python.

> Zope has been adapted to use Perl (ack!)... well,

Also, there is Erlang, which seems to have an automatically replicating
database.  I wonder about the possibility of using it to provide the
database for Dolphin.  Unfortunately, I am not likely to find time for such
"playing" in the near future.

-- Frank

Re: shared/distributed objects

Roberto Lupi
On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 03:21:19 -0600,
Frank Sergeant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Also, there is Erlang, which seems to have an automatically replicating
>database.  I wonder about the possibility of using it to provide the
>database for Dolphin.  Unfortunately, I am not likely to find time for such
>"playing" in the near future.

Well, erlang database engine (mnesia) is relational, it isn't an oodbms, and
it's fine-tuned for the kind of databases used in soft-realtime
telecommunication & networking software.

I'd use some sort of SQL server instead of mnesia, if I had/want to use a
relational DBMS. I don't think mnesia fits well with a client/server
application written in Dolphin (unless that app is just an interface to an
erlang app).

--
Roberto Lupi

12