shared memory

Dziedzic, Peter

Hello,

i have two applications that use the same date.
At moment i am sending the data over my socket connection.

I want tp make the appliaction faster and therefore i came to the iea of a shared memory.

Does somebody habe experience with shared memory between different processes ( my smalltalk appliaction and a C#-application)?
Is it even possible to create a shared memory application between smalltalk and C#?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen - best regards,

Peter Dziedzic

--------------------------------------

Carl Zeiss Industrielle Meßtechnik GmbH/ Industrial Metrology
Softwareentwicklung/Software Development

P e t e r  D z i e d z i c

73446 Oberkochen, Germany

tel: +49 73 64 20-84 48
fax: +49 73 64 20-48 00
e-mail: [hidden email]
http://www.zeiss.de/imt

Carl Zeiss Industrielle Messtechnik GmbH
Carl-Zeiss-Straße 22, 73447 Oberkochen
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr. Dieter Kurz
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Rainer Ohnheiser, Felix Hoben, Hanspeter Mürle
Sitz der Gesellschaft: 73446 Oberkochen, Deutschland
Amtsgericht Ulm, HRB 501561, USt-IdNr.: DE 811 515 346

This message is intended for a particular addressee only and may contain business or company secrets. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the message immediately. Any use of this email, including saving, publishing, copying, replication or forwarding of the message or the contents is not permitted.

Re: shared memory

Georg Heeg

Peter,

Certainly it is possible to use in Smalltalk whatever the operating system provides. Thus if shared memory including appropriate synchronization functions is provided by your operating system, you can make use of it. If this will make your application faster and easier, is a completely different question. You still will need to elaborate a common representation of your data.

Most operating systems use shared memory like technologies to implement local socket communication anyway.

A few weeks ago we discussed binary vs. textual representation of the data you sent over the socket. Did you have any progress on that end?

What I would recommend? Measuring! (Everything else is guessing; measuring is actually part of your company nameJ). On the Smalltalk side you could use Multi Time Profiling.

Georg Heeg

Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812

Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712