sharing sessions through links..

12

sharing sessions through links..

sergio t. ruiz

hey, guys..

one quick question after watching the seaside movie last night..

pretend i have an application like ebay written in seaside..

so, i log into my account..

check my bids..

then, i do a search for something..

during that search, i find something my friend would really like..

so i send the link to my friend..

now.. suppose he immediately clicks it (i sent it over IM..)

does he now have full access to my session, including my account
information?

___
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary
www.village-buzz.com

Re: sharing sessions through links..

Julian Fitzell-3
On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 3:02 PM, sergio <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hey, guys..
>
> one quick question after watching the seaside movie last night..
>
> pretend i have an application like ebay written in seaside..
>
> so, i log into my account..
>
> check my bids..
>
> then, i do a search for something..
>
> during that search, i find something my friend would really like..
>
> so i send the link to my friend..
>
> now.. suppose he immediately clicks it (i sent it over IM..)
>
> does he now have full access to my session, including my account
> information?

Unless you take action to prevent it, yes. This problem isn't unique
to Seaside, of course; any system with session keys in URLs will be
have the same problem. You can, of course, configure the session key
to be stored in cookies, which eliminates the problem. Or you can use
a WASessionProtector to prevent the IP address of the user from
changing.

Note that in either case, you would need to make sure to include
enough information in the URL via #updateUrl: that a new session could
be built pointing to the right item.

Julian

Re: sharing sessions through links..

Randal L. Schwartz

Julian> Unless you take action to prevent it, yes. This problem isn't unique
Julian> to Seaside, of course; any system with session keys in URLs will be
Julian> have the same problem. You can, of course, configure the session key
Julian> to be stored in cookies, which eliminates the problem.

Of course, you trade one problem for another there. If you use session
cookies, you won't be able to have a single browser with two separate sessions
in two separate windows, because the cookie is browser-wide.

Perhaps, you could add a cookie to identify a particular browser, and then use
Seaside sessions in the URL to identify a particular session for a particular
browser.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: sharing sessions through links..

Julian Fitzell-2
On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Randal L. Schwartz
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Julian> Unless you take action to prevent it, yes. This problem isn't unique
> Julian> to Seaside, of course; any system with session keys in URLs will be
> Julian> have the same problem. You can, of course, configure the session key
> Julian> to be stored in cookies, which eliminates the problem.
>
> Of course, you trade one problem for another there. If you use session
> cookies, you won't be able to have a single browser with two separate sessions
> in two separate windows, because the cookie is browser-wide.

Of course.

> Perhaps, you could add a cookie to identify a particular browser, and then use
> Seaside sessions in the URL to identify a particular session for a particular
> browser.

Yup. That would be a good candidate for a RequestFilter (or could be
incorporated into the existing WAProtectionFilter (what
WASessionProtector has become in 2.9). Anybody want to contribute
code? :)

Julian

Re: sharing sessions through links..

Philippe Marschall
2008/10/27 Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]>:

> Julian> Unless you take action to prevent it, yes. This problem isn't unique
> Julian> to Seaside, of course; any system with session keys in URLs will be
> Julian> have the same problem. You can, of course, configure the session key
> Julian> to be stored in cookies, which eliminates the problem.
>
> Of course, you trade one problem for another there.

There are also strange cases of mobile users who change IPs (this
affects WASessionProtector).

Isn't there a Max Payne quote along the lines of:

if the only choice you've got is to do the wrong thing, then it's not
really the *wrong* thing, is it?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: sharing sessions through links..

Randal L. Schwartz

>> Of course, you trade one problem for another there. If you use session
>> cookies, you won't be able to have a single browser with two separate sessions
>> in two separate windows, because the cookie is browser-wide.

Julian> Of course.

Well, if you say "of course", then the message wasn't meant for you. :-) it
was meant for the other readers.
See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: sharing sessions through links..

david54
Wouldn't filtering on IP addresses would be problematic for multi-user hosts?

-david

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 10:45 PM, David Pennell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Wouldn't filtering on IP addresses would be problematic for multi-user
> hosts?
> -david

Like a NAT? It certainly wouldn't be effective in that case. :)

The problem is there is currently no way to check that we have the
right *user*. We can check if they have the right *session token* in
the URL but users pass those around. We can put the *same token* in a
cookie but then you can't have multiple sessions in different tabs. We
can check an IP address but that isn't entirely secure and is
problematic if the user gets disconnected from their VPN or whatever
and gets a new IP. We can check if they have the right *browser* by
profiling the headers sent by the browser or adding another cookie.

The last (which is what Randal was suggesting) is probably the most
reasonable compromise in that you can leave the session key in the URL
and therefore have multiple sessions open and passing the URL to
somebody else doesn't give them access to the session. This (over SSL)
is probably pretty secure. But you still can't decide that the site
isn't working in Firefox and copy and paste the link over to IE.

Without some way to actually confirm the identity of the user behind
the keyboard, of course, we have no choice but to make a compromise
somewhere.

Julian

Re: sharing sessions through links..

Randal L. Schwartz

Julian>  We can check an IP address but that isn't entirely secure and is
Julian> problematic if the user gets disconnected from their VPN or whatever
Julian> and gets a new IP.

Or worse... the canonical example being the walled-garden AOL users who got a
different proxy IP address for every connection *within a single page hit*.
As in, main page 1.2.3.4... first image 1.2.3.5... second image
1.2.3.6... form posted via 1.2.3.22.

I always pull that gem out whenever people mumble "session... IP
authentication".  It Won't Work.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: sharing sessions through links..

radoslav hodnicak

Using HTTP Auth solves this problem quite nicely. The user/password
combination is sent with every browser request, so if it's not there you
know it's not your original user.

rado

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 7:32 AM, radoslav hodnicak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Using HTTP Auth solves this problem quite nicely. The user/password
> combination is sent with every browser request, so if it's not there you
> know it's not your original user.

Except that it requires SSL for every page request to ensure the
password is secure (otherwise someone can hijack not just your session
but your whole account). It also isn't any better than the extra
cookie solution (cookies are also sent on every request) in that it
doesn't actually identify the *user* at the end of the connection;
only the *browser*. If the user has walked away, we won't know. And if
the user has changed browsers, it won't work.

As an aside, this why you should ask for a user's password again (even
if they are in an authenticated session) before making changes to
their account. The session is only identifying (at best) the browser
and could be used by someone who sniffed the (non-SSL-encrypted)
session keys and cookies or at a computer after the legitimate user
walked away. Any privileges granted to a session are as vulnerable as
the session so, if you don't make changing email addresses and
passwords and so on require a password, you are leaving yourself open
for session-hijackings to escalate into account-hijackings.

Julian

On Oct 28, 2008, at 2:32 AM, radoslav hodnicak wrote:

> Using HTTP Auth solves this problem quite nicely. The user/password
> combination is sent with every browser request, so if it's not there
> you know it's not your original user.

hmmm...

this sounds like it might be a plan.. but the only thing that i worry
about is that the recipient of the link will just be presented with an
auth screen.. which is not good..

is there any way to serve up a generic page in the case that http
auth fails?

___
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary
www.village-buzz.com

Re: sharing sessions through links..

Lukas Renggli
> is there any way to serve up a generic page in the case that http  auth
> fails?

Yes, you don't respond with a 401 (authentication failed) but with a
normal response that shows a nice message.

However for the basic-authentication login itself you need to present
the auth-screen to the user sometime. I don't know of another way to
set it.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: sharing sessions through links..

David Farber

On Oct 27, 2008, at 5:15 PM, Julian Fitzell wrote:

> The last (which is what Randal was suggesting) is probably the most
> reasonable compromise in that you can leave the session key in the URL
> and therefore have multiple sessions open and passing the URL to
> somebody else doesn't give them access to the session. This (over SSL)
> is probably pretty secure. But you still can't decide that the site
> isn't working in Firefox and copy and paste the link over to IE.
>
> Without some way to actually confirm the identity of the user behind
> the keyboard, of course, we have no choice but to make a compromise
> somewhere.

Forgive me if I am ignorantly suggesting something that won't work in
Seaside, but I would try this:

1) Keep a token identifying the user in a cookie.
2) Leave the session info in the url.

Since the session is still in the url, you can still have multiple
sessions in the same browser.  And since the user token is in a
cookie, I can paste the URL into any browser where I've already
authenticated.

David

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 5:37 PM, David Farber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Oct 27, 2008, at 5:15 PM, Julian Fitzell wrote:
>
>> The last (which is what Randal was suggesting) is probably the most
>> reasonable compromise in that you can leave the session key in the URL
>> and therefore have multiple sessions open and passing the URL to
>> somebody else doesn't give them access to the session. This (over SSL)
>> is probably pretty secure. But you still can't decide that the site
>> isn't working in Firefox and copy and paste the link over to IE.
>>
>> Without some way to actually confirm the identity of the user behind
>> the keyboard, of course, we have no choice but to make a compromise
>> somewhere.
>
> Forgive me if I am ignorantly suggesting something that won't work in
> Seaside, but I would try this:
>
> 1) Keep a token identifying the user in a cookie.
> 2) Leave the session info in the url.
>
> Since the session is still in the url, you can still have multiple sessions
> in the same browser.  And since the user token is in a cookie, I can paste
> the URL into any browser where I've already authenticated.

Well that's basically what Randal was suggesting and is, I think, the
best we can do currently. It still only identifies the browser,
though: if a user walks away from the browser or someone sniffs the
cookie value, we have no way of knowing that it isn't the same user
anymore. Always using the same key for a particular user does have the
nice property that they can move sessions between browsers but at the
additional risk that you now want that cookie to persist for a much
longer period of time which is bad if the token does get captured.

Julian

Re: sharing sessions through links..

Dave Bauer-3
On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 12:59 PM, Julian Fitzell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 5:37 PM, David Farber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 27, 2008, at 5:15 PM, Julian Fitzell wrote:
>>
>>> The last (which is what Randal was suggesting) is probably the most
>>> reasonable compromise in that you can leave the session key in the URL
>>> and therefore have multiple sessions open and passing the URL to
>>> somebody else doesn't give them access to the session. This (over SSL)
>>> is probably pretty secure. But you still can't decide that the site
>>> isn't working in Firefox and copy and paste the link over to IE.
>>>
>>> Without some way to actually confirm the identity of the user behind
>>> the keyboard, of course, we have no choice but to make a compromise
>>> somewhere.
>>
>> Forgive me if I am ignorantly suggesting something that won't work in
>> Seaside, but I would try this:
>>
>> 1) Keep a token identifying the user in a cookie.
>> 2) Leave the session info in the url.
>>
>> Since the session is still in the url, you can still have multiple sessions
>> in the same browser.  And since the user token is in a cookie, I can paste
>> the URL into any browser where I've already authenticated.
>
> Well that's basically what Randal was suggesting and is, I think, the
> best we can do currently. It still only identifies the browser,
> though: if a user walks away from the browser or someone sniffs the
> cookie value, we have no way of knowing that it isn't the same user
> anymore. Always using the same key for a particular user does have the
> nice property that they can move sessions between browsers but at the
> additional risk that you now want that cookie to persist for a much
> longer period of time which is bad if the token does get captured.

Hi, I have been lurking for a long time, interested in seaside, but
working with other web apps right now. That said, I have experience
developing this type of system. The fact that the session identifier
is not in a cookie doesn't really matter here. You need two cookies
anyway. One for user identity and one for session identity. This way
you can timeout a session, for example and require reauthentication,
or require reauthentication for certain actions, such as amazon.com.
Of course the exact details depend on your application.

You could combine the user identity token with session checking to
timeout a session, or require re-authentication after a certain time
period. Obviously those settings depend on the exact security
requirements of your application. I'd suggest using a hashed value in
the identity cookie and to vary the cookies value randomly. Of course
this again depends on the exact security requirements of your
application, but in general it's a good idea.

Dave

> Julian

Dave Bauer
[hidden email]
http://www.solutiongrove.com

Re: sharing sessions through links..

John Thornborrow
How about something like AES encrypting the session id in the URI, and
storing the AES key in the cookie?

Dave Bauer wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 12:59 PM, Julian Fitzell <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Forgive me if I am ignorantly suggesting something that won't work in
>>> Seaside, but I would try this:
>>>
>>> 1) Keep a token identifying the user in a cookie.
>>> 2) Leave the session info in the url.
>>>
>>> Since the session is still in the url, you can still have multiple sessions
>>> in the same browser.  And since the user token is in a cookie, I can paste
>>> the URL into any browser where I've already authenticated.
>>>
>> Well that's basically what Randal was suggesting and is, I think, the
>> best we can do currently. It still only identifies the browser,
>> though: if a user walks away from the browser or someone sniffs the
>> cookie value, we have no way of knowing that it isn't the same user
>> anymore. Always using the same key for a particular user does have the
>> nice property that they can move sessions between browsers but at the
>> additional risk that you now want that cookie to persist for a much
>> longer period of time which is bad if the token does get captured.
>>

> Hi, I have been lurking for a long time, interested in seaside, but
> working with other web apps right now. That said, I have experience
> developing this type of system. The fact that the session identifier
> is not in a cookie doesn't really matter here. You need two cookies
> anyway. One for user identity and one for session identity. This way
> you can timeout a session, for example and require reauthentication,
> or require reauthentication for certain actions, such as amazon.com.
> Of course the exact details depend on your application.
>
> You could combine the user identity token with session checking to
> timeout a session, or require re-authentication after a certain time
> period. Obviously those settings depend on the exact security
> requirements of your application. I'd suggest using a hashed value in
> the identity cookie and to vary the cookies value randomly. Of course
> this again depends on the exact security requirements of your
> application, but in general it's a good idea.
>
> Dave
>

>> Julian

******************************************************************************************************************************************
This email is from Pinesoft Limited. Its contents are confidential to the intended recipient(s) at the email address(es) to which it has been addressed. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than the addressee(s), nor may it be copied in anyway. If received in error, please contact the sender, then delete it from your system. Although this email and attachments are believed to be free of virus, or any other defect which might affect any computer or IT system into which they are received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free and no responsibility is accepted by Pinesoft for any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use thereof. *******************************************************************************************************************************************

Pinesoft Limited are registered in England, Registered number: 2914825. Registered office: 266-268 High Street, Waltham Cross, Herts, EN8 7EA

Re: sharing sessions through links..

Randal L. Schwartz

Dave> Hi, I have been lurking for a long time, interested in seaside, but
Dave> working with other web apps right now. That said, I have experience
Dave> developing this type of system. The fact that the session identifier
Dave> is not in a cookie doesn't really matter here. You need two cookies
Dave> anyway. One for user identity and one for session identity. This way
Dave> you can timeout a session, for example and require reauthentication,
Dave> or require reauthentication for certain actions, such as amazon.com.
Dave> Of course the exact details depend on your application.

No, you don't need two cookies --- you need only one cookie, as I demonstrated
my magazine article
(http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col61.html). You can't count
on a cookie going away as a means of timing out of session, since the browser
can do whatever it wants and client-side software can lie. So really, all you
need to do is distinguish this browser from all other browsers, and then use
server-side state to manage what that actually means. Fortunately, in Seaside,
we have an easy place to put server-side data, and time it out. Much easier
than when I was doing this with Perl.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: sharing sessions through links..

Dave Bauer-3
On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 1:32 PM, Randal L. Schwartz
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dave> Hi, I have been lurking for a long time, interested in seaside, but
> Dave> working with other web apps right now. That said, I have experience
> Dave> developing this type of system. The fact that the session identifier
> Dave> is not in a cookie doesn't really matter here. You need two cookies
> Dave> anyway. One for user identity and one for session identity. This way
> Dave> you can timeout a session, for example and require reauthentication,
> Dave> or require reauthentication for certain actions, such as amazon.com.
> Dave> Of course the exact details depend on your application.
>
> No, you don't need two cookies --- you need only one cookie, as I demonstrated
> my magazine article
> (http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col61.html). You can't count
> on a cookie going away as a means of timing out of session, since the browser
> can do whatever it wants and client-side software can lie. So really, all you
> need to do is distinguish this browser from all other browsers, and then use
> server-side state to manage what that actually means. Fortunately, in Seaside,
> we have an easy place to put server-side data, and time it out. Much easier
> than when I was doing this with Perl.

Yes you are right! You only need one cookie if you put the session
identifier in the URL. Otherwise you would need two cookies. They are
similar solutions. Since Seaside has session_id in the URL you don't
use a session cookie.

Dave

> <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
> See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

--
Dave Bauer
[hidden email]
http://www.solutiongrove.com

Re: sharing sessions through links..

Randal L. Schwartz

Dave> Yes you are right! You only need one cookie if you put the session
Dave> identifier in the URL. Otherwise you would need two cookies. They are
Dave> similar solutions. Since Seaside has session_id in the URL you don't
Dave> use a session cookie.

Please read the article. I am talking about using a branded browser (a unique
cookie for each browser) as a way of doing a session. In this case, there
would be no session as part of the URL, but it suffers from not having two
tabs having separate sessions.