short spotter demos

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

The recent debates around Spotter, showed that some of its features are not well understood. In an effort to document it more thoroughly I created a couple of (very short) videos. They have no sound. Please take a look and let us know what you think.

Spotting a class with GTSpotter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wIh4fekcD8

Scoping a search to a specific category in GTSpotter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-fY4mN6Isc

Using category shortcuts in GTSpotter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USNZ7_6gLDA

Using preview in GTSpotter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSm5xylmTqM

Using the dive-in action in GTSpotter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7mJBX3Oblw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeDDLLdA1v8

Navigating through files with GTSpotter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHQqXcS0vDI

Refining a search through the dive-in-category action with GTSpotter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IclLett0d6c

Opening a cached playground page with GTSpotter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_yndTSsj8c

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Yesterday is a fact.
 Tomorrow is a possibility.
 Today is a challenge."

Re: short spotter demos

Uko2
This is super cool! But now I need to lookup: “How to make your own Spotter engine(whatever you call the thing)” ;)

Cheers!
Uko

> On 24 Feb 2016, at 21:38, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> The recent debates around Spotter, showed that some of its features are not well understood. In an effort to document it more thoroughly I created a couple of (very short) videos. They have no sound. Please take a look and let us know what you think.
>

> Spotting a class with GTSpotter
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wIh4fekcD8
>
> Scoping a search to a specific category in GTSpotter
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-fY4mN6Isc
>
> Using category shortcuts in GTSpotter
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USNZ7_6gLDA
>
> Using preview in GTSpotter
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSm5xylmTqM
>
> Using the dive-in action in GTSpotter
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7mJBX3Oblw

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeDDLLdA1v8
>
> Navigating through files with GTSpotter
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHQqXcS0vDI
>
> Refining a search through the dive-in-category action with GTSpotter
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IclLett0d6c
>
> Opening a cached playground page with GTSpotter
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_yndTSsj8c
>

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Yesterday is a fact.
> Tomorrow is a possibility.
> Today is a challenge."

Re: short spotter demos

Tudor Girba-2
It’s called a processor :)

Take a look at the help. There is a description of the inner workings. Let me know if this helps.

Cheers,
Doru

> On Feb 24, 2016, at 9:41 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is super cool! But now I need to lookup: “How to make your own Spotter engine(whatever you call the thing)” ;)
>
> Cheers!
> Uko
>
>> On 24 Feb 2016, at 21:38, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The recent debates around Spotter, showed that some of its features are not well understood. In an effort to document it more thoroughly I created a couple of (very short) videos. They have no sound. Please take a look and let us know what you think.
>>

>> Spotting a class with GTSpotter
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wIh4fekcD8
>>
>> Scoping a search to a specific category in GTSpotter
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-fY4mN6Isc
>>
>> Using category shortcuts in GTSpotter
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USNZ7_6gLDA
>>
>> Using preview in GTSpotter
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSm5xylmTqM
>>
>> Using the dive-in action in GTSpotter
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7mJBX3Oblw

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeDDLLdA1v8
>>
>> Navigating through files with GTSpotter
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHQqXcS0vDI
>>
>> Refining a search through the dive-in-category action with GTSpotter
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IclLett0d6c
>>
>> Opening a cached playground page with GTSpotter
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_yndTSsj8c
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "Yesterday is a fact.
>> Tomorrow is a possibility.
>> Today is a challenge."

www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"From an abstract enough point of view, any two things are similar."

Re: short spotter demos

Uko2
I’ve already seen the extending method. I’m doing is “core” processor like spotterStfxFor:. And it’s a bit hard to combine all the pieces into one vision. But slowly I’m getting there.

Uko

> On 24 Feb 2016, at 21:43, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It’s called a processor :)
>
> Take a look at the help. There is a description of the inner workings. Let me know if this helps.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

>> On Feb 24, 2016, at 9:41 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This is super cool! But now I need to lookup: “How to make your own Spotter engine(whatever you call the thing)” ;)
>>
>> Cheers!
>> Uko
>>
>>> On 24 Feb 2016, at 21:38, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The recent debates around Spotter, showed that some of its features are not well understood. In an effort to document it more thoroughly I created a couple of (very short) videos. They have no sound. Please take a look and let us know what you think.
>>>

>>> Spotting a class with GTSpotter
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wIh4fekcD8
>>>
>>> Scoping a search to a specific category in GTSpotter
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-fY4mN6Isc
>>>
>>> Using category shortcuts in GTSpotter
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USNZ7_6gLDA
>>>
>>> Using preview in GTSpotter
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSm5xylmTqM
>>>
>>> Using the dive-in action in GTSpotter
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7mJBX3Oblw

>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeDDLLdA1v8
>>>
>>> Navigating through files with GTSpotter
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHQqXcS0vDI
>>>
>>> Refining a search through the dive-in-category action with GTSpotter
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IclLett0d6c
>>>
>>> Opening a cached playground page with GTSpotter
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_yndTSsj8c
>>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>> www.feenk.com
>>>
>>> "Yesterday is a fact.
>>> Tomorrow is a possibility.
>>> Today is a challenge."

> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "From an abstract enough point of view, any two things are similar."

Re: short spotter demos

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 24 Feb 2016, at 21:41, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is super cool! But now I need to lookup: “How to make your own Spotter engine(whatever you call the thing)” ;)

That is actually surprisingly simple.

To look up known Unicode Characters by partial name:

GTSpotter>>#spotterForUnicodeCharacterFor: aStep
        <spotterOrder: 30>
        aStep listProcessor
                title: 'Unicode Character';
                allCandidates: [ UnicodeCharacterData database values ];
                itemName: [ :each | each name ];
                filter: GTFilterSubstring;
                wantsToDisplayOnEmptyQuery: false

And if you want a preview:

UnicodeCharacterData>>#spotterPreviewIn: aComposite
        <spotterPreview: 10>

  ... same as GT inspector ...

> Cheers!
> Uko
>
>> On 24 Feb 2016, at 21:38, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The recent debates around Spotter, showed that some of its features are not well understood. In an effort to document it more thoroughly I created a couple of (very short) videos. They have no sound. Please take a look and let us know what you think.
>>

>> Spotting a class with GTSpotter
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wIh4fekcD8
>>
>> Scoping a search to a specific category in GTSpotter
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-fY4mN6Isc
>>
>> Using category shortcuts in GTSpotter
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USNZ7_6gLDA
>>
>> Using preview in GTSpotter
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSm5xylmTqM
>>
>> Using the dive-in action in GTSpotter
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7mJBX3Oblw

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeDDLLdA1v8
>>
>> Navigating through files with GTSpotter
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHQqXcS0vDI
>>
>> Refining a search through the dive-in-category action with GTSpotter
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IclLett0d6c
>>
>> Opening a cached playground page with GTSpotter
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_yndTSsj8c
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "Yesterday is a fact.
>> Tomorrow is a possibility.
>> Today is a challenge."

Re: short spotter demos

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Ok, this is more tricky, but it is supported :). Actually this is one of the really cool things about Spotter.

For this we have #filter:item:. Look at the senders to find examples in the image.

For example:
PragmaType>>spotterSendersFor: aStep
        <spotterOrder: 50>
        ^ aStep listProcessor
                title: 'Senders';
                filter: GTFilterSubstring item: [ :filter :context |
                        self keyword senders do: [ :sender |
                                filter value: sender compiledMethod ] ]

or:
GTSpotter>>spotterForReferencesFor: aStep
        <spotterOrder: 32>
        aStep listProcessor
                title: 'References';
                filter: GTNullFilter item: [ :filter :context |
                        context textTrimmed asClassIfPresent: [ :class |
                                SystemNavigation default allReferencesTo: class binding do: filter ] ];
                keyBinding: $n shift meta;
                itemName: [ :method | method gtDisplayString ]

so, the block is being passed a filter which actually behaves like a block :). So, you can pass it to whatever traversal you have, and this will stream the results back to Spotter. I find this so cool that I cannot describe it :).

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers,
Doru

> On Feb 24, 2016, at 10:14 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Also in your case you have `allCandidates`. I don’t have this as I’m going to query a remote service base on input and I want to display all that I will get :)
>
> Uko
>
>> On 24 Feb 2016, at 21:52, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On 24 Feb 2016, at 21:41, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> This is super cool! But now I need to lookup: “How to make your own Spotter engine(whatever you call the thing)” ;)
>>
>> That is actually surprisingly simple.
>>
>> To look up known Unicode Characters by partial name:
>>
>> GTSpotter>>#spotterForUnicodeCharacterFor: aStep
>> <spotterOrder: 30>
>> aStep listProcessor
>> title: 'Unicode Character';
>> allCandidates: [ UnicodeCharacterData database values ];
>> itemName: [ :each | each name ];
>> filter: GTFilterSubstring;
>> wantsToDisplayOnEmptyQuery: false
>>
>> And if you want a preview:
>>
>> UnicodeCharacterData>>#spotterPreviewIn: aComposite
>> <spotterPreview: 10>
>>
>>  ... same as GT inspector ...
>>
>>> Cheers!
>>> Uko

www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Every thing has its own flow."

Re: short spotter demos

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
All very good questions, that should be answered by the Spotter designers.

> On 24 Feb 2016, at 22:14, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Also in your case you have `allCandidates`. I don’t have this as I’m going to query a remote service base on input and I want to display all that I will get :)
>
> Uko
>
>> On 24 Feb 2016, at 21:52, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On 24 Feb 2016, at 21:41, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> This is super cool! But now I need to lookup: “How to make your own Spotter engine(whatever you call the thing)” ;)
>>
>> That is actually surprisingly simple.
>>
>> To look up known Unicode Characters by partial name:
>>
>> GTSpotter>>#spotterForUnicodeCharacterFor: aStep
>> <spotterOrder: 30>
>> aStep listProcessor
>> title: 'Unicode Character';
>> allCandidates: [ UnicodeCharacterData database values ];
>> itemName: [ :each | each name ];
>> filter: GTFilterSubstring;
>> wantsToDisplayOnEmptyQuery: false
>>
>> And if you want a preview:
>>
>> UnicodeCharacterData>>#spotterPreviewIn: aComposite
>> <spotterPreview: 10>
>>
>>  ... same as GT inspector ...
>>
>>> Cheers!
>>> Uko

Re: short spotter demos

Ben Coman
They sure are short :).  Indeed finished before I had read the video title.
It was useful once I worked it out. Thanks Doru.
cheers -ben

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 4:38 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The recent debates around Spotter, showed that some of its features are not well understood. In an effort to document it more thoroughly I created a couple of (very short) videos. They have no sound. Please take a look and let us know what you think.
>

> Spotting a class with GTSpotter
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wIh4fekcD8
>
> Scoping a search to a specific category in GTSpotter
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-fY4mN6Isc
>
> Using category shortcuts in GTSpotter
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USNZ7_6gLDA
>
> Using preview in GTSpotter
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSm5xylmTqM
>
> Using the dive-in action in GTSpotter
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7mJBX3Oblw

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeDDLLdA1v8
>
> Navigating through files with GTSpotter
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHQqXcS0vDI
>
> Refining a search through the dive-in-category action with GTSpotter
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IclLett0d6c
>
> Opening a cached playground page with GTSpotter
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_yndTSsj8c
>

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Yesterday is a fact.
>  Tomorrow is a possibility.
>  Today is a challenge."

Re: short spotter demos

Uko2
Would be cool if you can embed images and videos into help.

Uko

Sent from my iPad