should installTode allowed to specify whether to snapshot or not?

should installTode allowed to specify whether to snapshot or not?

GLASS mailing list
Dale,

I found out that the `upgradeStone` ends up creating a extent backup before installing tODE.
In the case of the `upgradeStone` is VERY much likely we have already made a backup before starting the process. And extent snapshots are very expensive on disk. Wouldn't it be nice if the `upgradeStone` would allow a parameter whether to backup or not and pass that to `installTode` ?

Thanks in advance,

Re: should installTode allowed to specify whether to snapshot or not?

GLASS mailing list
Mariano,

Since you say that "extent snapshots are very expensive on disk", I assume that you never really want installTode to do extent backups....

If that is true, then you can customize the script that does the extent backup by copying the file $GS_HOME/sys/default/client/tode-scripts/installServerTode2 to $GS_HOME/sys/local/client/tode-scripts and then remove the backups and or snapshots as you'd like.

BTW, the extent backup is made AFTER tode is installed, because before tODE is installed there is no tODE to do the command...

Any, here is the default installServerTode2:

  script --script=setUpSys      # set up the in-image tODE /sys structure
  bu backup --commit tode.dbf   # backup of initial tODE install with /sys structures in place
  bu snapshot --commit tode.dbf # make a snapshot of initial tODE install with /sys structures in place

And you can remove both or one of the backups made ... the setUpSys is the important bit...

Dale

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 6:25 PM, Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

OK, thanks Dale. I guess that at least for the upgrade process I can change these files. Or..maybe I will remove the snapshots for sure (maybe I let backups, I will see).

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 6:33 PM, Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
BTW, there are other script in the tode-scripts directory that do `bu snapshot` so you'd probably want to customize them all while you are at it ...

mmm I have seen one named preUpdate.dbf.gz. But neither a grep nor a find string give me an answer. Do you know where that one is done?

Cheers,

On 10/25/15 2:59 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

[...]

Yeah I think letting you make a system-wide decision like never make snapshots and/or backups is much better than trying to manage the passing of the arguments all over the place when there is one spot where you simply make your decision ... it's also why I've split the scripts up into pieces so the decision to make pre/post backup/snapshot is independent of the actual work being done ...

normally I would expect you to change the setUpSys or rebuildSys scripts themselves unless you have additional structure that you want to build at that point ...

Dale

On 10/25/15 3:01 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 6:33 PM, Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
BTW, there are other script in the tode-scripts directory that do `bu snapshot` so you'd probably want to customize them all while you are at it ...

mmm I have seen one named preUpdate.dbf.gz. But neither a grep nor a find string give me an answer. Do you know where that one is done?

Cheers,

These are three scripts where backup/snapshots are done:

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/blob/master/sys/default/client/tode-scripts/installServerTode2
[2] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/blob/master/sys/default/client/tode-scripts/rebuildServerTode
[3] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/blob/master/sys/default/client/tode-scripts/updateServerTode

I'm currently working on Seaside support (moved here[4] from $GS_HOME/shared/projects/seaside31) and there are more cases of doing backup/snapshot, but I haven't quite settled on how I want to handle overrides for these ... they might just end up in your $GS_HOME/sys/local structure or ??? but I will want to make it possible to customize without having to "dirty" the git checkout with private changes ....

Dale

[4] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_seaside31