should we move pharo to use webclient?

Stéphane Ducasse
to replace the old code?

Re: should we move pharo to use webclient?

Adrian Lienhard
Yes, that would be great!

I've not extensively used WebClient so far but from some experimentation it seems to work well and it provides the interface I am expecting. Comparing with the old implementation it can only be better ;)

Adrian

On Jul 6, 2010, at 09:30 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> to replace the old code?
>
> Stef

Re: [SPAM] should we move pharo to use webclient?

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Yes!!

It now loads without patches into Pharo 1.1 rc2
I used its client and server part, seaside adaptor, it all works.

The code is quite readable/understandable/malleable.

I did not yet test the WebClient-HTTP package which patches HTTPSocket to replace the old code,
which is obviously important (it then gets used by MC and the rest of Smalltalk).

The unit tests also have to be double checked.

What do others, like Lukas and other Seaside people think of it ?

The basic point it: it can only be better than the older code.
But on the other hand, maybe the leap could be even bigger still ?
Having a facade for a pluggable http client is one step.

Having a good basic HTTP client and server is very important.

Sven

On 06 Jul 2010, at 09:30, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> to replace the old code?
>
> Stef

Re: [SPAM] should we move pharo to use webclient?

Lukas Renggli
> What do others, like Lukas and other Seaside people think of it ?

I like it, it should be the default in the image.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [SPAM] should we move pharo to use webclient?

Gary Chambers-4
+1

Regards, Gary

>> What do others, like Lukas and other Seaside people think of it ?
>
> I like it, it should be the default in the image.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: should we move pharo to use webclient?

garduino
Yes!

I used WebClient to experiment but also to a (little) commercial project and it works very well.

As Sven said the code is quite readable/understandable/malleable and I would add, easy to extend.

+1 to this idea of add it to Pharo.

Germán.

2010/7/6 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
to replace the old code?

Re: [SPAM] should we move pharo to use webclient?

I agree and this is why I asked.
I'm not good in network but the code of network always made me nearly faint because it was clearly not designed.
Now why interested people would not do a little task forces to bullet proof the integration and we prepare together
its integration...
remember pharo is also your smalltalk :)

On Jul 6, 2010, at 3:04 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Yes!!
>
> It now loads without patches into Pharo 1.1 rc2
> I used its client and server part, seaside adaptor, it all works.
>
> The code is quite readable/understandable/malleable.
>
> I did not yet test the WebClient-HTTP package which patches HTTPSocket to replace the old code,
> which is obviously important (it then gets used by MC and the rest of Smalltalk).
>
> The unit tests also have to be double checked.
>
> What do others, like Lukas and other Seaside people think of it ?
>
> The basic point it: it can only be better than the older code.
> But on the other hand, maybe the leap could be even bigger still ?
> Having a facade for a pluggable http client is one step.
>
> Having a good basic HTTP client and server is very important.
>
> Sven
>
> On 06 Jul 2010, at 09:30, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> to replace the old code?
>>
>> Stef

Re: should we move pharo to use webclient?

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Stéf,

I guess you mean integrating WebClient in 1.2, not 1.1 ?
I am willing to help here, but I am having a vacation starting tomorrow, I'll be back from June 19th.
I deliberately don't touch any computers during that time ;-)

Sven

On 06 Jul 2010, at 21:22, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I agree and this is why I asked.
> I'm not good in network but the code of network always made me nearly faint because it was clearly not designed.
> Now why interested people would not do a little task forces to bullet proof the integration and we prepare together
> its integration...
> remember pharo is also your smalltalk :)
>
> On Jul 6, 2010, at 3:04 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>
>> Yes!!
>>
>> It now loads without patches into Pharo 1.1 rc2
>> I used its client and server part, seaside adaptor, it all works.
>>
>> The code is quite readable/understandable/malleable.
>>
>> I did not yet test the WebClient-HTTP package which patches HTTPSocket to replace the old code,
>> which is obviously important (it then gets used by MC and the rest of Smalltalk).
>>
>> The unit tests also have to be double checked.
>>
>> What do others, like Lukas and other Seaside people think of it ?
>>
>> The basic point it: it can only be better than the older code.
>> But on the other hand, maybe the leap could be even bigger still ?
>> Having a facade for a pluggable http client is one step.
>>
>> Having a good basic HTTP client and server is very important.
>>
>> Sven
>>
>> On 06 Jul 2010, at 09:30, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> to replace the old code?
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: should we move pharo to use webclient?

garduino
If you (Stef/Sven) cand give some guidelines about what do you expect and how to integrate, I can help here also.

Cheers.
Germán.

2010/7/7 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>
Stéf,

I guess you mean integrating WebClient in 1.2, not 1.1 ?
I am willing to help here, but I am having a vacation starting tomorrow, I'll be back from June 19th.
I deliberately don't touch any computers during that time ;-)

Sven

On 06 Jul 2010, at 21:22, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I agree and this is why I asked.
> I'm not good in network but the code of network always made me nearly faint because it was clearly not designed.
> Now why interested people would not do a little task forces to bullet proof the integration and we prepare together
> its integration...
> remember pharo is also your smalltalk :)
>
> On Jul 6, 2010, at 3:04 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>
>> Yes!!
>>
>> It now loads without patches into Pharo 1.1 rc2
>> I used its client and server part, seaside adaptor, it all works.
>>
>> The code is quite readable/understandable/malleable.
>>
>> I did not yet test the WebClient-HTTP package which patches HTTPSocket to replace the old code,
>> which is obviously important (it then gets used by MC and the rest of Smalltalk).
>>
>> The unit tests also have to be double checked.
>>
>> What do others, like Lukas and other Seaside people think of it ?
>>
>> The basic point it: it can only be better than the older code.
>> But on the other hand, maybe the leap could be even bigger still ?
>> Having a facade for a pluggable http client is one step.
>>
>> Having a good basic HTTP client and server is very important.
>>
>> Sven
>>
>> On 06 Jul 2010, at 09:30, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> to replace the old code?
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: should we move pharo to use webclient?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Stéf,

I guess you mean integrating WebClient in 1.2, not 1.1 ?

Yes, 1.2, not 1.1.

2010/7/7 Germán Arduino <[hidden email]>
If you (Stef/Sven) cand give some guidelines about what do you expect and how to integrate, I can help here also.

Open a ticket, send email, publish in the repository PharoTaskForces so that people can start to commit there. Once you have something that works, someone just integrates it.

Cheers

mariano

Cheers.
Germán.

2010/7/7 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>

Stéf,

I guess you mean integrating WebClient in 1.2, not 1.1 ?
I am willing to help here, but I am having a vacation starting tomorrow, I'll be back from June 19th.
I deliberately don't touch any computers during that time ;-)

Sven

On 06 Jul 2010, at 21:22, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I agree and this is why I asked.
> I'm not good in network but the code of network always made me nearly faint because it was clearly not designed.
> Now why interested people would not do a little task forces to bullet proof the integration and we prepare together
> its integration...
> remember pharo is also your smalltalk :)
>
> On Jul 6, 2010, at 3:04 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>
>> Yes!!
>>
>> It now loads without patches into Pharo 1.1 rc2
>> I used its client and server part, seaside adaptor, it all works.
>>
>> The code is quite readable/understandable/malleable.
>>
>> I did not yet test the WebClient-HTTP package which patches HTTPSocket to replace the old code,
>> which is obviously important (it then gets used by MC and the rest of Smalltalk).
>>
>> The unit tests also have to be double checked.
>>
>> What do others, like Lukas and other Seaside people think of it ?
>>
>> The basic point it: it can only be better than the older code.
>> But on the other hand, maybe the leap could be even bigger still ?
>> Having a facade for a pluggable http client is one step.
>>
>> Having a good basic HTTP client and server is very important.
>>
>> Sven
>>
>> On 06 Jul 2010, at 09:30, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> to replace the old code?
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: should we move pharo to use webclient?

> Stéf,
>
> I guess you mean integrating WebClient in 1.2, not 1.1 ?

Yes I'm always in the future :)

> I am willing to help here, but I am having a vacation starting tomorrow, I'll be back from June 19th.
> I deliberately don't touch any computers during that time ;-)
Excellent!

Stef

> Sven
>
> On 06 Jul 2010, at 21:22, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> I agree and this is why I asked.
>> I'm not good in network but the code of network always made me nearly faint because it was clearly not designed.
>> Now why interested people would not do a little task forces to bullet proof the integration and we prepare together
>> its integration...
>> remember pharo is also your smalltalk :)
>>
>> On Jul 6, 2010, at 3:04 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>>
>>> Yes!!
>>>
>>> It now loads without patches into Pharo 1.1 rc2
>>> I used its client and server part, seaside adaptor, it all works.
>>>
>>> The code is quite readable/understandable/malleable.
>>>
>>> I did not yet test the WebClient-HTTP package which patches HTTPSocket to replace the old code,
>>> which is obviously important (it then gets used by MC and the rest of Smalltalk).
>>>
>>> The unit tests also have to be double checked.
>>>
>>> What do others, like Lukas and other Seaside people think of it ?
>>>
>>> The basic point it: it can only be better than the older code.
>>> But on the other hand, maybe the leap could be even bigger still ?
>>> Having a facade for a pluggable http client is one step.
>>>
>>> Having a good basic HTTP client and server is very important.
>>>
>>> Sven

Re: should we move pharo to use webclient?

- Does it load?
- what is teh package structure?
- do the test work?
- Check the interface
- start to see how we can redirect the image code to be based on web
- iterate on the last point.
- remove/deprecate old code.

Stef

On Jul 7, 2010, at 1:02 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:

> If you (Stef/Sven) cand give some guidelines about what do you expect and how to integrate, I can help here also.
>
> Cheers.
> Germán.
>

> 2010/7/7 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>
> Stéf,
>
> I guess you mean integrating WebClient in 1.2, not 1.1 ?
> I am willing to help here, but I am having a vacation starting tomorrow, I'll be back from June 19th.
> I deliberately don't touch any computers during that time ;-)
>
> Sven
>
> On 06 Jul 2010, at 21:22, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
> > I agree and this is why I asked.
> > I'm not good in network but the code of network always made me nearly faint because it was clearly not designed.
> > Now why interested people would not do a little task forces to bullet proof the integration and we prepare together
> > its integration...
> > remember pharo is also your smalltalk :)
> >
> > On Jul 6, 2010, at 3:04 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
> >
> >> Yes!!
> >>
> >> It now loads without patches into Pharo 1.1 rc2
> >> I used its client and server part, seaside adaptor, it all works.
> >>
> >> The code is quite readable/understandable/malleable.
> >>
> >> I did not yet test the WebClient-HTTP package which patches HTTPSocket to replace the old code,
> >> which is obviously important (it then gets used by MC and the rest of Smalltalk).
> >>
> >> The unit tests also have to be double checked.
> >>
> >> What do others, like Lukas and other Seaside people think of it ?
> >>
> >> The basic point it: it can only be better than the older code.
> >> But on the other hand, maybe the leap could be even bigger still ?
> >> Having a facade for a pluggable http client is one step.
> >>
> >> Having a good basic HTTP client and server is very important.
> >>
> >> Sven

Re: should we move pharo to use webclient?

garduino
ok, I will try to build a slice and check that works ok on PharoCore 1.2 to start.

Cheers.

2010/7/7 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
- Does it load?
- what is teh package structure?
- do the test work?
- Check the interface
- start to see how we can redirect the image code to be based on web
- iterate on the last point.
- remove/deprecate old code.

Stef

On Jul 7, 2010, at 1:02 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:

> If you (Stef/Sven) cand give some guidelines about what do you expect and how to integrate, I can help here also.
>
> Cheers.
> Germán.
>

> 2010/7/7 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>
> Stéf,
>
> I guess you mean integrating WebClient in 1.2, not 1.1 ?
> I am willing to help here, but I am having a vacation starting tomorrow, I'll be back from June 19th.
> I deliberately don't touch any computers during that time ;-)
>
> Sven
>
> On 06 Jul 2010, at 21:22, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
> > I agree and this is why I asked.
> > I'm not good in network but the code of network always made me nearly faint because it was clearly not designed.
> > Now why interested people would not do a little task forces to bullet proof the integration and we prepare together
> > its integration...
> > remember pharo is also your smalltalk :)
> >
> > On Jul 6, 2010, at 3:04 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
> >
> >> Yes!!
> >>
> >> It now loads without patches into Pharo 1.1 rc2
> >> I used its client and server part, seaside adaptor, it all works.
> >>
> >> The code is quite readable/understandable/malleable.
> >>
> >> I did not yet test the WebClient-HTTP package which patches HTTPSocket to replace the old code,
> >> which is obviously important (it then gets used by MC and the rest of Smalltalk).
> >>
> >> The unit tests also have to be double checked.
> >>
> >> What do others, like Lukas and other Seaside people think of it ?
> >>
> >> The basic point it: it can only be better than the older code.
> >> But on the other hand, maybe the leap could be even bigger still ?
> >> Having a facade for a pluggable http client is one step.
> >>
> >> Having a good basic HTTP client and server is very important.
> >>
> >> Sven

Re: should we move pharo to use webclient?

garduino
As first step I can say that WebClient-Core, HTTP, Help and Tests load ok on PharoCore 1.2 latest image.

Obviously I not loaded the Seaside adaptor.

The 26 tests passed ok.

Cheers.
Germán.

Germán S. Arduino  <gsa @ arsol.net>   Twitter: garduino
Arduino Software & Web Hosting   http://www.arduinosoftware.com
PasswordsPro  http://www.passwordspro.com

Re: should we move pharo to use webclient?

Stéphane Ducasse
good!

On Jul 7, 2010, at 11:21 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:

> As first step I can say that WebClient-Core, HTTP, Help and Tests load ok on PharoCore 1.2 latest image.
>
> Obviously I not loaded the Seaside adaptor.
>
> The 26 tests passed ok.
>
> Cheers.
> Germán.
>

> 2010/7/7 Germán Arduino <[hidden email]>
> ok, I will try to build a slice and check that works ok on PharoCore 1.2 to start.
>
> Cheers.
>

> 2010/7/7 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>
> - Does it load?
> - what is teh package structure?
> - do the test work?
> - Check the interface
> - start to see how we can redirect the image code to be based on web
> - iterate on the last point.
> - remove/deprecate old code.
>
> Stef
>
> On Jul 7, 2010, at 1:02 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:
>
> > If you (Stef/Sven) cand give some guidelines about what do you expect and how to integrate, I can help here also.
> >
> > Cheers.
> > Germán.
> >

> > 2010/7/7 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>
> > Stéf,
> >
> > I guess you mean integrating WebClient in 1.2, not 1.1 ?
> > I am willing to help here, but I am having a vacation starting tomorrow, I'll be back from June 19th.
> > I deliberately don't touch any computers during that time ;-)
> >
> > Sven
> >
> > On 06 Jul 2010, at 21:22, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> >
> > > I agree and this is why I asked.
> > > I'm not good in network but the code of network always made me nearly faint because it was clearly not designed.
> > > Now why interested people would not do a little task forces to bullet proof the integration and we prepare together
> > > its integration...
> > > remember pharo is also your smalltalk :)

Re: [SPAM] should we move pharo to use webclient?

Philippe Marschall-2
On 07/06/2010 03:04 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
> Yes!!
>
> It now loads without patches into Pharo 1.1 rc2
> I used its client and server part, seaside adaptor, it all works.

The last time I checked multipart POSTs (file uploads) were missing.

Cheers
Philippe

2010/7/8 Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]>
On 07/06/2010 03:04 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
> Yes!!
>
> It now loads without patches into Pharo 1.1 rc2
> I used its client and server part, seaside adaptor, it all works.

The last time I checked multipart POSTs (file uploads) were missing.

I responded to your same comment on June 28 :)