simple example for a simple man?

LawsonEnglish
Hey all, I've been trying to go through the various materials available,
but I'm having a hard time finding a simple example of the kind of thing
I want to do with seaside, at least as a helloworld project, which is
basically POST arbitrary data to an arbitrary url. I can find plenty of
examples of GUI-related stuff, but not much that shows how to create and
use a simple instance of the HTTP request stuff.

If there's some easy example I've missed, or a mailing list entry that I
haven't found with  googling    site:lists.squeakfoundation.org, I'd
much appreciate a pointer or 3.

Thanks

Lawson

RE: simple example for a simple man?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
If you're using VisualWorks,

(HttpRequest post: 'http://mydomain.com/post-handler.php')
   formData: (Array with: 'hello' -> 'world');
   execute

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

Boris Popov wrote:
> If you're using VisualWorks,
>
> (HttpRequest post: 'http://mydomain.com/post-handler.php')
>    formData: (Array with: 'hello' -> 'world');
>    execute
>
> -Boris

AH thanks, definitely at my level, but I'm using pharo/squeak...

Lawson

Re: simple example for a simple man?

Julian Fitzell-2
On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Lawson English<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Boris Popov wrote:
>>
>> If you're using VisualWorks,
>>
>> (HttpRequest post: 'http://mydomain.com/post-handler.php')
>>   formData: (Array with: 'hello' -> 'world');
>>   execute
>>
>> -Boris
>>

> AH thanks, definitely at my level, but I'm using pharo/squeak...

If you're trying to create an outgoing HTTP connection, Seaside
doesn't deal with that directly. In Squeak, you could use HTTPSocket
(see class-side methods such as #httpPost:args:accept:). I don't love
the implementation, though, and you might also want to look at the
Curl plugin if your needs are at all complex.

Julian

Julian Fitzell wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Lawson English<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Boris Popov wrote:
>>
>>> If you're using VisualWorks,
>>>
>>> (HttpRequest post: 'http://mydomain.com/post-handler.php')
>>>   formData: (Array with: 'hello' -> 'world');
>>>   execute
>>>
>>> -Boris
>>>

>> AH thanks, definitely at my level, but I'm using pharo/squeak...
>>

> If you're trying to create an outgoing HTTP connection, Seaside
> doesn't deal with that directly. In Squeak, you could use HTTPSocket
> (see class-side methods such as #httpPost:args:accept:). I don't love
> the implementation, though, and you might also want to look at the
> Curl plugin if your needs are at all complex.
>
> Julian

Thanks. At this point, my needs are exceedingly simple. But, its not
obvious to me how to get started. At the simplest level, I simply want
to create one or more webpages of arbitrary GUI complexity that can POST
input to some external website from a page served in localhost.

Lawson

Re: simple example for a simple man?

Göran Krampe
Lawson English wrote:
> Thanks. At this point, my needs are exceedingly simple. But, its not
> obvious to me how to get started. At the simplest level, I simply want
> to create one or more webpages of arbitrary GUI complexity that can POST
> input to some external website from a page served in localhost.

The Seaside GUI bit I presume you can easily pick up in Seaside
tutorials (the book) or whatever.

Making POSTs from Squeak can be done using various means - Curl (you
need the plugin though) and HTTPSocket (old "standard" stuff) probably
all can do it - but you also have HttpClient:

http://map.squeak.org/packagebyname/httpclient

I have used that package to build a rather advanced HTTP robot for a
customer and it does POSTS etc quite handily - even through HTTPS using
stunnel as a relay.

regards, Göran

Re: simple example for a simple man?

Philippe Marschall
2009/8/20 Göran Krampe <[hidden email]>:

> Lawson English wrote:
>>
>> Thanks. At this point, my needs are exceedingly simple. But, its not
>> obvious to me how to get started. At the simplest level, I simply want to
>> create one or more webpages of arbitrary GUI complexity that can POST input
>> to some external website from a page served in localhost.
>
> The Seaside GUI bit I presume you can easily pick up in Seaside tutorials
> (the book) or whatever.
>
> Making POSTs from Squeak can be done using various means - Curl (you need
> the plugin though) and HTTPSocket (old "standard" stuff) probably all can do
> it - but you also have HttpClient:
>
> http://map.squeak.org/packagebyname/httpclient

Download link is broken since a long time ago.

Cheers
Philippe

Philippe Marschall wrote:

> 2009/8/20 Göran Krampe <[hidden email]>:
>> Lawson English wrote:
>>> Thanks. At this point, my needs are exceedingly simple. But, its not
>>> obvious to me how to get started. At the simplest level, I simply want to
>>> create one or more webpages of arbitrary GUI complexity that can POST input
>>> to some external website from a page served in localhost.
>> The Seaside GUI bit I presume you can easily pick up in Seaside tutorials
>> (the book) or whatever.
>>
>> Making POSTs from Squeak can be done using various means - Curl (you need
>> the plugin though) and HTTPSocket (old "standard" stuff) probably all can do
>> it - but you also have HttpClient:
>>
>> http://map.squeak.org/packagebyname/httpclient
>
> Download link is broken since a long time ago.

Aha! But the SqueakMap cache has it, so installing/downloading using the
SqueakMap Package Loader should work. Otherwise, download this URL
(lesser known SM trick) and rename to proper filename:

http://map.squeak.org/packagebyname/httpclient/autoversion/1/cache

regards, Göran

PS. I might have some patches for it in that project I built... Ask for
them and I can dig. :)