sixteen items for Squeaklamd 2012

Scott Wallace
Here are the sixteen items currently on the Squeakland Educators' Group's wish-list of changes to try to get into the "Squeakland 2012" release.  This is from an early version of a working document, and does not necessarily represent consensus or priority, but it provides a useful point of departure as we try to kickstart the process of defining and building the release.

Individual items will be addressed in separate emails shortly.

Most of the major items here relate to work (heroically) done by Ricardo Moran in 2010 and 2011, whose results were typically circulated in projects attached to emails sent to this list.  It would be very useful to hear about all experiences (in as much detail as possible) that anyone has had with any of these projects.  Items 1-5 and 7 are all in this category.

--------

1. sectors (graphics) kh/ok add help

2. calendar? (tools) add help  (ask developers about cost of adding projects)

3. graphing tool

4. number line

5. spreadsheet - maybe (in object catalogue?) - Skeleton -

6. input/output

7. Single Step Debugger

8. When saving file display only: Name, Notes and Tags - Remove Subject, Target Age, and Region  - Matches Scratch
(can fold subject entries into tags for existing and older versions)

9. Add Koji Yokokawa's ScratchConnect (game controls and game displays)
This will allow kids to create “game controllers” using Etoys Projects on one set of computers to control a “game display” (another Etoys or Scratch Project) on another computer.

10. re-arrange the objects in supplies
remove Press me (back in object catalog), polygon in supplies instead (to have a non-symmetric object to let kids see heading when moving)

11. On Add Variable: Show options for value type - to make it easier to discover different types besides number (Ex: player, color, etc).

12. When deleting a project icon, change "delete the icon and delete the project" to "delete the icon and remove the project" delete indicates it may delete it from disk. And change wording from "Really delete the project <name> and all its contents? <yes/no>" to "Realy delete the icon and remove the project from Etoys (file will still be saved on disk) <yes/no>"

13. Fix Connector Labels so they display properly in “middle” of connector.
  a. Fix: connector labels so that when added they move to the "middle" of the connector, not "openAtMousePosition"
  b. Fix: connector labels so that repositioning does not place back to position of "openAtMousePosition" relative to move.

14. An "ask" tile to get user input.

15. A Rosetta Stone like (visual display of speech, graph) to help kids learn language and pronunciation).

16. Add perimeter, etc. tiles to polygon tool.

--------

  -- Scott

sixteen items for Squeaklamd 2012 - Item 1: "sectors"

Scott Wallace
> 1. sectors (graphics) kh/ok add help

This item is based on Ricardo Moran's project "Sectors.8.pr" circulated in November and December 2011 on the Squeakland Educators' Google Group.  It provides a new kind of object called a "Sector" which resembles a pie wedge.

The code from that project has now been extracted and submitted separately as a new item on the Squeakland tracker at:

http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-1007

In this version, brief balloon-help messages have been provided, so if people have no objections, it should be good to go.  I also attach a copy of the compressed fileout to this message for convenience in testing.

There has been a certain amount of discussion of this feature in the Educators' Google Group, including one request for a variant in which instead of presenting a true sector of a circle, the endpoints of the arc subtended are connected by a straight line, thus resulting in a triangle.  But in the version described here and posted to the tracker, Ricardo's original circle-segment implementation is used.

Anyone wishing to try this out:  download the proposed fix from the tracker url given above, or use the attachment accompanying this email.  Fire up an up-to-date 4.1 etoys dev image; open a file-list and navigate to the fix file, and "install" it.

Now look in the Objects catalog, under "Graphics", for "Sector".  Drag one out.  Open its Viewer.  Shift-click on the object to get a yellow angle-changing handle.   Change the angle using this handle, and watch the value of "angle" change in the Viewer, and vice-versa.  Try placing a watcher for the "angle" variable right beneath the sector -- you could even embed both a Sector object and a corresponding angle-watcher in a larger structure, such as a Rectangle.

Comments, please!  Any objection to this going into the release?  It would be great for a nice example or two of each new feature to be included in the release.  Something involving pie-charts might be good for this one…

  -- Scott

Sectors.4.cs.gz (2K) Download Attachment

Re: sixteen items for Squeaklamd 2012

Bert Freudenberg

On 24.01.2012, at 21:17, Scott Wallace wrote:

> Here are the sixteen items currently on the Squeakland Educators' Group's wish-list of changes to try to get into the "Squeakland 2012" release.  This is from an early version of a working document, and does not necessarily represent consensus or priority, but it provides a useful point of departure as we try to kickstart the process of defining and building the release.
>
> Individual items will be addressed in separate emails shortly.
>
> Most of the major items here relate to work (heroically) done by Ricardo Moran in 2010 and 2011, whose results were typically circulated in projects attached to emails sent to this list.  It would be very useful to hear about all experiences (in as much detail as possible) that anyone has had with any of these projects.  Items 1-5 and 7 are all in this category.
>
> --------
>
> 1. sectors (graphics) kh/ok add help
>
> 2. calendar? (tools) add help  (ask developers about cost of adding projects)
>
> 3. graphing tool
>
> 4. number line
>
> 5. spreadsheet - maybe (in object catalogue?) - Skeleton -
>
> 6. input/output
>
> 7. Single Step Debugger
>
> 8. When saving file display only: Name, Notes and Tags - Remove Subject, Target Age, and Region  - Matches Scratch
> (can fold subject entries into tags for existing and older versions)
>
> 9. Add Koji Yokokawa's ScratchConnect (game controls and game displays)
> This will allow kids to create “game controllers” using Etoys Projects on one set of computers to control a “game display” (another Etoys or Scratch Project) on another computer.
>
> 10. re-arrange the objects in supplies
> remove Press me (back in object catalog), polygon in supplies instead (to have a non-symmetric object to let kids see heading when moving)
>
> 11. On Add Variable: Show options for value type - to make it easier to discover different types besides number (Ex: player, color, etc).
>
> 12. When deleting a project icon, change "delete the icon and delete the project" to "delete the icon and remove the project" delete indicates it may delete it from disk. And change wording from "Really delete the project <name> and all its contents? <yes/no>" to "Realy delete the icon and remove the project from Etoys (file will still be saved on disk) <yes/no>"
>
> 13. Fix Connector Labels so they display properly in “middle” of connector.
>  a. Fix: connector labels so that when added they move to the "middle" of the connector, not "openAtMousePosition"
>  b. Fix: connector labels so that repositioning does not place back to position of "openAtMousePosition" relative to move.
>
> 14. An "ask" tile to get user input.
>
> 15. A Rosetta Stone like (visual display of speech, graph) to help kids learn language and pronunciation).
>
> 16. Add perimeter, etc. tiles to polygon tool.
>
> --------
>
>  -- Scott

Great list! To help keeping track I renamed the versions in the tracker:

http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Aversions-panel

4.1.2 is now "etoys 2012" and the next one is "future release". All issues we want to solve now should be changed to "etoys 2012", the rest should remain in or be moved to "future release". If developers don't get around to finish an issue scheduled for "etoys 2012" then we'll just move it to a new version upon release.

As soon as we decided on a version name for this release we can rename it in the tracker (reasonable choices would be 4.2 or 5.0 I think).

Sounds good?

- Bert -

sixteen items for Squeaklamd 2012 - item 2: Calendar

Scott Wallace
2. calendar? (tools) add help  (ask developers about cost of adding projects)

This derives from Ricardo Moran's "Calendario" project.  It provides a Calendar object looking like this:

… which can be scripted using tiles found in the "calendar" category of its Viewer:

The date, month, etc., all refer to the calendar's currently "selected date", whose month and year are showing and whose day-of-month is highlighted.  Whenever any value affecting that date is changed (by script or via the UI in a Viewer or Watcher) the calendar will switch to showing the month in which that date occurs, and will highlight the newly selected date.

I've submitted a mildly modified version of Ricardo's code to the Squeakland tracker as item SQ-1008, and propose, pending comments from testers, that it be included in the forthcoming Squeakland 2012 release.

Many good things can be done with this object, and using two calendars side by side suggests further ideas -- e.g it's easy to make a project that instantly computes the number of days between any two dates.  It's also easy to build a little tool that will tell you what day-of-the-week you birthday will fall in any given year, etc.

Many thanks to Richo for this work.

  -- Scott

Re: sixteen items for Squeaklamd 2012

Karl Ramberg

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 7:20 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 24.01.2012, at 21:17, Scott Wallace wrote:

> Here are the sixteen items currently on the Squeakland Educators' Group's wish-list of changes to try to get into the "Squeakland 2012" release.  This is from an early version of a working document, and does not necessarily represent consensus or priority, but it provides a useful point of departure as we try to kickstart the process of defining and building the release.
>
> Individual items will be addressed in separate emails shortly.
>
> Most of the major items here relate to work (heroically) done by Ricardo Moran in 2010 and 2011, whose results were typically circulated in projects attached to emails sent to this list.  It would be very useful to hear about all experiences (in as much detail as possible) that anyone has had with any of these projects.  Items 1-5 and 7 are all in this category.
>
> --------
>
> 1. sectors (graphics) kh/ok add help
>
> 2. calendar? (tools) add help  (ask developers about cost of adding projects)
>
> 3. graphing tool
>
> 4. number line
>
> 5. spreadsheet - maybe (in object catalogue?) - Skeleton -

This is a big package and need review.

> 6. input/output
>
> 7. Single Step Debugger
>
> 8. When saving file display only: Name, Notes and Tags - Remove Subject, Target Age, and Region  - Matches Scratch
> (can fold subject entries into tags for existing and older versions)
>
> 9. Add Koji Yokokawa's ScratchConnect (game controls and game displays)
> This will allow kids to create “game controllers” using Etoys Projects on one set of computers to control a “game display” (another Etoys or Scratch Project) on another computer.
>
> 10. re-arrange the objects in supplies
> remove Press me (back in object catalog), polygon in supplies instead (to have a non-symmetric object to let kids see heading when moving)
>
> 11. On Add Variable: Show options for value type - to make it easier to discover different types besides number (Ex: player, color, etc).

This is good.

> 12. When deleting a project icon, change "delete the icon and delete the project" to "delete the icon and remove the project" delete indicates it may delete it from disk. And change wording from "Really delete the project <name> and all its contents? <yes/no>" to "Realy delete the icon and remove the project from Etoys (file will still be saved on disk) <yes/no>"
>
> 13. Fix Connector Labels so they display properly in “middle” of connector.
>  a. Fix: connector labels so that when added they move to the "middle" of the connector, not "openAtMousePosition"
>  b. Fix: connector labels so that repositioning does not place back to position of "openAtMousePosition" relative to move.
>
> 14. An "ask" tile to get user input.
>
> 15. A Rosetta Stone like (visual display of speech, graph) to help kids learn language and pronunciation).
>
> 16. Add perimeter, etc. tiles to polygon tool.
>
> --------
>
>  -- Scott

Great list! To help keeping track I renamed the versions in the tracker:

I agree.

http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Aversions-panel

4.1.2 is now "etoys 2012" and the next one is "future release". All issues we want to solve now should be changed to "etoys 2012", the rest should remain in or be moved to "future release". If developers don't get around to finish an issue scheduled for "etoys 2012" then we'll just move it to a new version upon release.

As soon as we decided on a version name for this release we can rename it in the tracker (reasonable choices would be 4.2 or 5.0 I think).

Sounds good?

- Bert -

Sounds good to me. I think Etoys 5.0 would be good. Much has changed since last release.

Karl

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 6:17 AM, Scott Wallace <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

17. Way for  textual scripts to remember referenced morphs, in case of lost source/decompile.

Karl

Re: sixteen items for Squeaklamd 2012

LawsonEnglish
On 1/24/12 10:17 PM, Scott Wallace wrote:
> [...]
> 15. A Rosetta Stone like (visual display of speech, graph) to help kids learn language and pronunciation).

If done properly, this would make etoys attractive to adults, also.

Lawson

Re: sixteen items for Squeaklamd 2012

Steve Thomas
On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Lawson English <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 1/24/12 10:17 PM, Scott Wallace wrote:
[...]

15. A Rosetta Stone like (visual display of speech, graph) to help kids learn language and pronunciation).

If done properly, this would make etoys attractive to adults, also.

Yes and combined with something like http://wikiotics.org/en/Introduction  we could easily build a framework where they could develop their own language learning tools to preserve their existing languages and help them learn new ones.

Stephen

On Jan 26, 2012, at 11:59 AM, karl ramberg wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 7:20 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> ...As soon as we decided on a version name for this release we can rename it in the tracker (reasonable choices would be 4.2 or 5.0 I think).
>
> Sounds good?
>
> - Bert -
>

> Sounds good to me. I think Etoys 5.0 would be good. Much has changed since last release.
>
> Karl

Sounds good to me as well.

  -- Scott

On 02.02.2012, at 00:19, Scott Wallace wrote:

> On Jan 26, 2012, at 11:59 AM, karl ramberg wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 7:20 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> ...As soon as we decided on a version name for this release we can rename it in the tracker (reasonable choices would be 4.2 or 5.0 I think).
>>
>> Sounds good?
>>
>> - Bert -
>>

>> Sounds good to me. I think Etoys 5.0 would be good. Much has changed since last release.
>>
>> Karl
>

> Sounds good to me as well.
>
>  -- Scott

Karl: Try going to Jira's "Administration" section, Project "squeakland", "Versions", "Manage". There you should be able to rename "etoys 2012".

- Bert -

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 7:09 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02.02.2012, at 00:19, Scott Wallace wrote:
>
>> On Jan 26, 2012, at 11:59 AM, karl ramberg wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 7:20 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> ...As soon as we decided on a version name for this release we can rename it in the tracker (reasonable choices would be 4.2 or 5.0 I think).
>>>
>>> Sounds good?
>>>
>>> - Bert -
>>>

>>> Sounds good to me. I think Etoys 5.0 would be good. Much has changed since last release.
>>>
>>> Karl
>>

>> Sounds good to me as well.
>>
>>  -- Scott
>

> Karl: Try going to Jira's "Administration" section, Project "squeakland", "Versions", "Manage". There you should be able to rename "etoys 2012".
>
> - Bert -

Done

Karl

Re: sixteen items for Squeaklamd 2012

Karl Ramberg
Update on ongoing activity:

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Here are the sixteen items currently on the Squeakland Educators' Group's wish-list of changes to try to get into the "Squeakland 2012" release.  This is from an early version of a working document, and does not necessarily represent consensus or priority, but it provides a useful point of departure as we try to kickstart the process of defining and building the release.
>
> Individual items will be addressed in separate emails shortly.
>
> Most of the major items here relate to work (heroically) done by Ricardo Moran in 2010 and 2011, whose results were typically circulated in projects attached to emails sent to this list.  It would be very useful to hear about all experiences (in as much detail as possible) that anyone has had with any of these projects.  Items 1-5 and 7 are all in this category.
>
> --------
>
> 1. sectors (graphics) kh/ok add help

added

> 2. calendar? (tools) add help  (ask developers about cost of adding projects)

added
( is it possible to change week day start from sunday to monday)

> 3. graphing tool
>
> 4. number line
>
> 5. spreadsheet - maybe (in object catalogue?) - Skeleton -
>
> 6. input/output
>
> 7. Single Step Debugger

Added

> 8. When saving file display only: Name, Notes and Tags - Remove Subject, Target Age, and Region  - Matches Scratch
> (can fold subject entries into tags for existing and older versions)
>
> 9. Add Koji Yokokawa's ScratchConnect (game controls and game displays)
> This will allow kids to create “game controllers” using Etoys Projects on one set of computers to control a “game display” (another Etoys or Scratch Project) on another computer.
>
> 10. re-arrange the objects in supplies
> remove Press me (back in object catalog), polygon in supplies instead (to have a non-symmetric object to let kids see heading when moving)
>
> 11. On Add Variable: Show options for value type - to make it easier to discover different types besides number (Ex: player, color, etc).

Added

> 12. When deleting a project icon, change "delete the icon and delete the project" to "delete the icon and remove the project" delete indicates it may delete it from disk. And change wording from "Really delete the project <name> and all its contents? <yes/no>" to "Realy delete the icon and remove the project from Etoys (file will still be saved on disk) <yes/no>"
>
> 13. Fix Connector Labels so they display properly in “middle” of connector.
>  a. Fix: connector labels so that when added they move to the "middle" of the connector, not "openAtMousePosition"
>  b. Fix: connector labels so that repositioning does not place back to position of "openAtMousePosition" relative to move.
>
> 14. An "ask" tile to get user input.

Suggestion by Richo. Hate to be looked at.

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 10:53 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Added
>>
>> 12. When deleting a project icon, change "delete the icon and delete the project" to "delete the icon and remove the project" delete indicates it may delete it from disk. And change wording from "Really delete the project <name> and all its contents? <yes/no>" to "Realy delete the icon and remove the project from Etoys (file will still be saved on disk) <yes/no>"
>>
>> 13. Fix Connector Labels so they display properly in “middle” of connector.
>>  a. Fix: connector labels so that when added they move to the "middle" of the connector, not "openAtMousePosition"
>>  b. Fix: connector labels so that repositioning does not place back to position of "openAtMousePosition" relative to move.
>>
>> 14. An "ask" tile to get user input.
>
> Suggestion by Richo. Hate to be looked at.

_Have_ to be looked at :-)

On Feb 15, 2012, at 1:53 PM, karl ramberg wrote:
> Update on ongoing activity:
>
>> 3. graphing tool
>>
>> 4. number line

I'm actively working on a derivative of Richo's work on these, which I hope to circulate a few days from now.

  -- Scott

Re: sixteen items for Squeaklamd 2012

Ricardo Moran

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 4:34 AM, Scott Wallace <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Feb 15, 2012, at 1:53 PM, karl ramberg wrote:
> Update on ongoing activity:
>
>> 3. graphing tool
>>
>> 4. number line

I'm actively working on a derivative of Richo's work on these, which I hope to circulate a few days from now.

Oh, that's really great! I'm looking forward to see your work :)

Cheers,
Richo

 -- Scott

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here are the sixteen items currently on the Squeakland Educators' Group's wish-list of changes to try to get into the "Squeakland 2012" release.  This is from an early version of a working document, and does not necessarily represent consensus or priority, but it provides a useful point of departure as we try to kickstart the process of defining and building the release.
>
> Individual items will be addressed in separate emails shortly.
>
> Most of the major items here relate to work (heroically) done by Ricardo Moran in 2010 and 2011, whose results were typically circulated in projects attached to emails sent to this list.  It would be very useful to hear about all experiences (in as much detail as possible) that anyone has had with any of these projects.  Items 1-5 and 7 are all in this category.
>
> --------
>
> 1. sectors (graphics) kh/ok add help
>
> 2. calendar? (tools) add help  (ask developers about cost of adding projects)
>
> 3. graphing tool
>
> 4. number line
>
> 5. spreadsheet - maybe (in object catalogue?) - Skeleton -
>
> 6. input/output
>
> 7. Single Step Debugger
>
> 8. When saving file display only: Name, Notes and Tags - Remove Subject, Target Age, and Region  - Matches Scratch
> (can fold subject entries into tags for existing and older versions)
>
> 9. Add Koji Yokokawa's ScratchConnect (game controls and game displays)
> This will allow kids to create “game controllers” using Etoys Projects on one set of computers to control a “game display” (another Etoys or Scratch Project) on another computer.
>
> 10. re-arrange the objects in supplies
> remove Press me (back in object catalog), polygon in supplies instead (to have a non-symmetric object to let kids see heading when moving)
>
> 11. On Add Variable: Show options for value type - to make it easier to discover different types besides number (Ex: player, color, etc).
>
> 12. When deleting a project icon, change "delete the icon and delete the project" to "delete the icon and remove the project" delete indicates it may delete it from disk. And change wording from "Really delete the project <name> and all its contents? <yes/no>" to "Realy delete the icon and remove the project from Etoys (file will still be saved on disk) <yes/no>"
>
> 13. Fix Connector Labels so they display properly in “middle” of connector.
>  a. Fix: connector labels so that when added they move to the "middle" of the connector, not "openAtMousePosition"
>  b. Fix: connector labels so that repositioning does not place back to position of "openAtMousePosition" relative to move.
>
> 14. An "ask" tile to get user input.
>
> 15. A Rosetta Stone like (visual display of speech, graph) to help kids learn language and pronunciation).
>
> 16. Add perimeter, etc. tiles to polygon tool.
>
> --------
>
>  -- Scott

A couple of thing that would be nice as well:

Make ColorPickerMorphs and  PaintBoxMorph use event system when
picking color, not polling sensor.
This will fix bugs with event recorder and some other issues.

SketchMorphs have a scalePoint setting that is independent of scale
factor. This is quite confusing. I'm not sure how to consolidate this
issue. Suggestions welcome.
http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-882

Karl