small examples to show the tools

Christian Haider

Hi all,

in two weeks, I am going to give a little talk about Smalltalk: http://metameute.de/nook2016/ .

It is 45 min with students who probably never heard of Smalltalk.

I want to concentrate on the liveliness of the environment with the tools: Workspace, Inspector, Browser and Debugger.

For this, I need a simple but nice example.

I will use VisualWorks 8.2 and Mirko, a new Smalltalk lover, will use Pharo 5.

We want to have the computers connected, maybe also a Pi, to show the platform independence of the image concept.

The first idea was a chat client. A client and a server in one image. Then in two images on one machine, on two machines (also the Pi), maybe in two dialects (VW, Pharo).

Possible to transfer code (blocks) across images (that should blow their minds J).

This is cool, but I am not sure if this is not too much and distracting with other technologies.

Another is to read a csv file or web service and parse it into objects. With the right kind of cool data it is fun to mold these objects for the tools.

This not so sexy, but easy to do from scratch. Unfortunately, the different computers would not play a role.

As you see, I am a bit lost and wanted to ask you guys for ideas.

Happy hacking,

                Christian

P.S. Here in Lübeck, a town in northern Germany, the attitude towards Smalltalk is generally positive, interested and curious. Maybe it is time for a Smalltalk renaissance?

Re: small examples to show the tools

stepharo

Hi christian

cool to know. Pay attention not to do too much :)

You can use teapot in Pharo for building a web app in one page of code and I found that quite cool.

Stef

Le 30/10/16 à 08:39, Christian Haider a écrit :

[...]

Re: [vwnc] small examples to show the tools

Nicole de Graaf
Hi Chris,

last year in Brussel (Fosdem 2015) Stephan Eggermond & me , did nearly the same .

Your stepping in very high with your talk. (not a critic but observation last time I did it)

Did you remember the “cool" thinks on Smalltalk:
- Start with a SUnit Test
- Create a method with accept in a Refactoring Browser (Both the same Pharo and VW)
- Debugger is your friend - directly writing code…

The thinks you write down you can do with other languages too.. the question is more why using smalltalk.

Success with you presentation :)

Nic

On 30 Oct 2016, at 08:39, Christian Haider <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Stephan Eggermont-3
I see the next talk is about docker, so live updating  images sounds like the right thing to do. In Pharo I mostly show glamour, roassal and seaside. The rewrite engine might also be interesting to show.

Stephan

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 30 okt. 2016 om 08:39 heeft Christian Haider <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

[...]

NorbertHartl
Relax! 45 minutes is so less time. If you have more than one topic you will have a stressed schedule. Basic things of the language are good because that is what people are interested in. Using a complexer thing to show make sure most of the audience have understood the basics. Doing something across computers is not amazing at all if you do not know some of computer and network basics.

Hope that helps a bit,

Norbert

Am 30.10.2016 um 15:03 schrieb Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

Hi Christian,

I would try also a not so tight schedule for 45 minutes. At our local hackerspace we have regular workshops/hackathons using Pharo and Roassal. Our approach is described here:

[1] https://pharoweekly.wordpress.com/2016/10/26/about-alternate-ways-to-teach-pharo/

So, going to the basics of the syntax and the using it to build a simple app like the Cinemania app using OMDB is good for such short time. I will be updating soon some screenshots for the procedure and notes taken in a Grafoscopio notebook [2] for our ongoing Data Week seven this and next weekends.

[2] http://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/index.en.html

Cheers,

Offray

On 30/10/16 02:39, Christian Haider wrote:

[...]

Richard Sargent (again)
For the idea of transferring the code to another image, look at Dale's work with  "server blocks" between Pharo and GemStone/S.

There is also his work which builds on this called Tugrik.

P.S. Here in Lübeck, a town in northern Germany, the attitude towards Smalltalk is generally positive, interested and curious. Maybe it is time for a Smalltalk renaissance?

Re: [vwnc] small examples to show the tools

kilon.alios
When I made the presentation in the Greek Hackespace in Athens, I tried to illustrate how Smalltalk is a live organism. Took me 10 minutes to do that. The rest, 20 minutes, was spent with me debugging the GUI of ChronosManager, I inserted a bug and show how I fixed it without the GUI stoping and of course demonstrated the use of halos and the inspector.

On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 8:52 PM Richard Sargent <[hidden email]> wrote:
For the idea of transferring the code to another image, look at Dale's work with  "server blocks" between Pharo and GemStone/S.

There is also his work which builds on this called Tugrik.

P.S. Here in Lübeck, a town in northern Germany, the attitude towards Smalltalk is generally positive, interested and curious. Maybe it is time for a Smalltalk renaissance?

Re: [vwnc] small examples to show the tools

stepharo
Nice :)