smalltalk.gnu.org is down

Andrew Engelbrecht
Hello Smalltalk community,

I'm Andrew, a sysadmin at the FSF. Someone brought smalltalk.gnu.org to
our attention, and it looks like the site's currently down. If you know
who manages this site, could you please let them know?

Thanks, : )
Andrew

Re: smalltalk.gnu.org is down

Holger Freyther

> On 25. Jan 2020, at 01:46, Andrew Engelbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Andrew,

> I'm Andrew, a sysadmin at the FSF. Someone brought smalltalk.gnu.org to
> our attention, and it looks like the site's currently down. If you know
> who manages this site, could you please let them know?

I added you to a RT ticket with the GNU sysadmin. tl;dr: We will move to
a static page and wait for DNS records to be changed.

cheers
        holger

Re: smalltalk.gnu.org is down

Blake McBride-2
It's now April.  I take it that GNU Smalltalk is being abandoned.

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 3:11 AM Holger Freyther <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 25. Jan 2020, at 01:46, Andrew Engelbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> Hi Andrew,
>

> > I'm Andrew, a sysadmin at the FSF. Someone brought smalltalk.gnu.org to
> > our attention, and it looks like the site's currently down. If you know
> > who manages this site, could you please let them know?
>
> I added you to a RT ticket with the GNU sysadmin. tl;dr: We will move to
> a static page and wait for DNS records to be changed.
>
> cheers
>         holger

Re: smalltalk.gnu.org is down

Johnksellers
All you have to is for you all to get out there and stir the pot a bit to
wake up whoever is sleeping at the wheel.

*Seniorius Lurkius*

On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 11:59 AM Blake McBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's now April.  I take it that GNU Smalltalk is being abandoned.
>

> On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 3:11 AM Holger Freyther <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> > > On 25. Jan 2020, at 01:46, Andrew Engelbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >

> > Hi Andrew,
> >

> > > I'm Andrew, a sysadmin at the FSF. Someone brought smalltalk.gnu.org
> > > our attention, and it looks like the site's currently down. If you know
> > > who manages this site, could you please let them know?
> >
> > I added you to a RT ticket with the GNU sysadmin. tl;dr: We will move to
> > a static page and wait for DNS records to be changed.
> >
> > cheers
> >         holger

Seniorius Lurkius

Re: smalltalk.gnu.org is down

bill-auger
it is true - nagging helps

Re: smalltalk.gnu.org is down

Holger Freyther
Not abandoned. Let me chase the GNU sysadmins to be able to point this to a static page. Now that there is interest. Anyone of you can help to create a static site? :)

cheers
        holger

> On 2. Apr 2020, at 03:35, bill-auger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> it is true - nagging helps

Re: smalltalk.gnu.org is down

Derek Zhou-4

Holger Freyther writes:

> Not abandoned. Let me chase the GNU sysadmins to be able to point this to a static page. Now that there is interest. Anyone of you can help to create a static site? :)

It is good decision to go static.

There are many static site builders out there. I personally have used
Nikola before and like it, and I've also heard good review with Jekyll.

Derek

Re: smalltalk.gnu.org is down

bill-auger
On Thu, 02 Apr 2020 10:20:59 -0400 Derek wrote:
> Holger Freyther writes:
> > Anyone of you can help to create a static site? :)
>
> There are many static site builders out there

i can "web-dev" - i have the best "static-site-builder" of all:
a text editor :)

archive.org has some of the data - probably not all though
https://web.archive.org/web/20191108204054/http://smalltalk.gnu.org/

it was more than a simple website though - there was an issue
tracker, a wiki, a news feed "blog", and so on - the obvious
question is: "who has the original data now?" - i.e. can it be
replicated, or is this starting from zero?