smalltalk workshops (building a webserver) after code-in

smalltalk workshops (building a webserver) after code-in

Martin Bähr
hi,

Google Code-In is over (i'll probably write more about that later)
and there are a few students who have started their path to smalltalk.

because there was interest among the students to continue learning, we have
started a series of workshops to learn the elements of building a webserver.

i have created a screencast for the first topic: FileSystem

you can read more about the workshop and find the screencast here:
http://societyserver.org/mbaehr/training/Using-the-FileSystem-class-in-Pharo-Smalltalk

being new to smalltalk myself, there are probably some mistakes, and things
that could be done better, however i believe the screencast is usable for
learning.

i recorded this mostly without interruption except for a few times where i was
lost and had to stop and look up what i was going to do.

i am open to feedback and criticism of any kind, from pointing out redundant
()s or ways to improve the code to tips for debugging and testing.

the next workshop will be saturday the

greetings, martin.

--
eKita                   -   the online platform for your entire academic life
Martin Bähr          working in china        http://societyserver.org/mbaehr/

Re: smalltalk workshops (building a webserver) after code-in

stepharo
This is excellent!!!!
I'm working on new teaching material and I would love to have a simple
chat app in a couple of lines :)

Stef

Le 29/1/15 05:52, Martin Bähr a écrit :

> hi,
>
> Google Code-In is over (i'll probably write more about that later)
> and there are a few students who have started their path to smalltalk.
>
> because there was interest among the students to continue learning, we have
> started a series of workshops to learn the elements of building a webserver.
>
> i have created a screencast for the first topic: FileSystem
>
> you can read more about the workshop and find the screencast here:
> http://societyserver.org/mbaehr/training/Using-the-FileSystem-class-in-Pharo-Smalltalk
>
> being new to smalltalk myself, there are probably some mistakes, and things
> that could be done better, however i believe the screencast is usable for
> learning.
>
> i recorded this mostly without interruption except for a few times where i was
> lost and had to stop and look up what i was going to do.
>
> i am open to feedback and criticism of any kind, from pointing out redundant
> ()s or ways to improve the code to tips for debugging and testing.
>
> the next workshop will be saturday the
>
> greetings, martin.

Re: smalltalk workshops (building a webserver) after code-in

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
This is awesome

We needed this!

small feeback: the player didn’t work on Safari OS X and in Chrome the streaming was too poor. YouTube or Vimeo usually removes all those issues for you

Thanks for sharing and keep up that excellent work!

> On Jan 29, 2015, at 2:52 AM, Martin Bähr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> hi,
>
> Google Code-In is over (i'll probably write more about that later)
> and there are a few students who have started their path to smalltalk.
>
> because there was interest among the students to continue learning, we have
> started a series of workshops to learn the elements of building a webserver.
>
> i have created a screencast for the first topic: FileSystem
>
> you can read more about the workshop and find the screencast here:
> http://societyserver.org/mbaehr/training/Using-the-FileSystem-class-in-Pharo-Smalltalk
>
> being new to smalltalk myself, there are probably some mistakes, and things
> that could be done better, however i believe the screencast is usable for
> learning.
>
> i recorded this mostly without interruption except for a few times where i was
> lost and had to stop and look up what i was going to do.
>
> i am open to feedback and criticism of any kind, from pointing out redundant
> ()s or ways to improve the code to tips for debugging and testing.
>
> the next workshop will be saturday the
>
> greetings, martin.
>
> --
> eKita                   -   the online platform for your entire academic life
> --
> chief engineer                                                       eKita.co
> pike programmer      pike.lysator.liu.se    caudium.net     societyserver.org
> secretary                                                      beijinglug.org
> mentor                                                           fossasia.org
> foresight developer  foresightlinux.org                            realss.com
> unix sysadmin
> Martin Bähr          working in china        http://societyserver.org/mbaehr/

Re: smalltalk workshops (building a webserver) after code-in

Martin Bähr
Excerpts from Sebastian Sastre's message of 2015-01-29 15:04:46 +0100:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3961142

> and in Chrome the streaming was too poor.

seems chrome doesn't do much buffering ahead but favors frequent interruptions.
it also gets the playback speed wrong and plays back about 5-10% faster. (not
that that's a real issue in itself)
firefox is buffering a lot more.

the video has high resolution and bitrate. (300MB for 75 minutes) so a fast
connection is needed to stream. otherwise there is always right-click and save...

> YouTube or Vimeo usually removes all those issues for you

but they cause other problems, most notoriously they are hard to download from
which annoys me a lot. they are also blocked in china. i would have to upload
to multiple sites to make the video accessible to everyone, so i prefer to just
host my own.

greetings, martin.

--
eKita                   -   the online platform for your entire academic life
--
chief engineer                                                       eKita.co
pike programmer      pike.lysator.liu.se    caudium.net     societyserver.org
secretary                                                      beijinglug.org
mentor                                                           fossasia.org
foresight developer  foresightlinux.org                            realss.com
unix sysadmin
Martin Bähr          working in china        http://societyserver.org/mbaehr/

session two: serving files with FileSystem (is: smalltalk workshops (building a webserver) after code-in)

Martin Bähr
Excerpts from Martin Bähr's message of 2015-01-29 05:52:52 +0100:
> you can read more about the workshop and find the screencast here:
> http://societyserver.org/mbaehr/training/Using-the-FileSystem-class-in-Pharo-Smalltalk

part two is here:
http://societyserver.org/mbaehr/training/Serving-files-through-FileSystem-in-Pharo-Smalltalk

> i am open to feedback and criticism of any kind, from pointing out redundant
> ()s or ways to improve the code to tips for debugging and testing.

can't stress this enough :-)
i am looking forward to feedback.

greetings, martin.

--
eKita                   -   the online platform for your entire academic life
--
chief engineer                                                       eKita.co
pike programmer      pike.lysator.liu.se    caudium.net     societyserver.org
secretary                                                      beijinglug.org
mentor                                                           fossasia.org
foresight developer  foresightlinux.org                            realss.com
unix sysadmin
Martin Bähr          working in china        http://societyserver.org/mbaehr/

session three: a static webapplication on moose (is: smalltalk workshops (building a webserver) after code-in)

Martin Bähr
Excerpts from Martin Bähr's message of 2015-02-03 06:48:19 +0100:
> > you can read more about the workshop and find the screencast here:
> > http://societyserver.org/mbaehr/training/Using-the-FileSystem-class-in-Pharo-Smalltalk
> part two is here:
> http://societyserver.org/mbaehr/training/Serving-files-through-FileSystem-in-Pharo-Smalltalk

session 3 starts from scratch, using what was learned in the first two sessions.

this session also features moose 5.0 instead of plain pharo just to see what is different.

this is not really intended to explore all moose features, but just use it as i
normally would use pharo to find out how it would affect the development.

this series is intended to show how developing in pharo is like, i show and use
features as i discover them myself.

i'd appreciate some feedback on how i could take more advantage of pharo and
moose features, so that i can show them off in the next session. (next time i
plan to use moose 5.1 and i'll finally look at zinc-REST)

greetings, martin.

--
eKita                   -   the online platform for your entire academic life
--
chief engineer                                                       eKita.co
pike programmer      pike.lysator.liu.se    caudium.net     societyserver.org
secretary                                                      beijinglug.org
mentor                                                           fossasia.org
foresight developer  foresightlinux.org                            realss.com
unix sysadmin
Martin Bähr          working in china        http://societyserver.org/mbaehr/

session three: a static webapplication on moose (is: smalltalk workshops (building a webserver) after code-in)

Martin Bähr
(it probably helps to include a link :-)

http://societyserver.org/mbaehr/training/a-static-webapplication-hosted-on-pharo-smalltalk

[...]

session four: a API with Zinc-REST on moose 5.1 (is: smalltalk workshops (building a webserver) after code-in)

Martin Bähr
Excerpts from Martin Bähr's message of 2015-02-13 10:57:50 +0100:
> > > you can read more about the workshop and find the screencast here:
> > > http://societyserver.org/mbaehr/training/Using-the-FileSystem-class-in-Pharo-Smalltalk
> > part two is here:
> > http://societyserver.org/mbaehr/training/Serving-files-through-FileSystem-in-Pharo-Smalltalk
> session 3 starts from scratch, using what was learned in the first two sessions.
> http://societyserver.org/mbaehr/training/a-static-webapplication-hosted-on-pharo-smalltalk

in session 4 we build a small RESTful API using the Zinc-REST package.
http://societyserver.org/mbaehr/training/building-an-api-with-zinc-rest-in-pharo-smalltalk

it was easier than expected to just copy from the Zinc-REST tests with small modifications.

this screencast is going to be the contents of my workshop at FOSSASIA in
singapore this month.

since moose 5.0 worked quite well last time, except for being pharo 3, this
time i am using the latest build of moose 5.1 which is using the latest pharo 4.

greetings, martin.