smalltalkhub is down

Tudor Girba-2
smalltalkhub is down:

Doru

--

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: smalltalkhub is down

Marcus Denker-4
Yes, and exactly as last week I can not do *anything*. And everyone who could do something is in Argentina, I guess sleeping right now.

We really need to change this. And best before we have exactly the same next saturday, again.
(Sadly, as said, I can do *absolutely* nothing, I can not even do anything to change that I can do nothing.)

Something is fundamentally wrong here.

   Marcus

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
smalltalkhub is down:

Doru

--

"Every thing has its own flow"

Marcus Denker  --  [hidden email]
http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: smalltalkhub is down

kilon.alios
Find whoever is responsible for this and make him listen to Justin Bieber for 6 hours straight, problem solved. I know its cruel , but its the only way to ensure this wont happen again.

Does that mean that smalltalkhub has become increasingly popular or its unrelated to traffic load ?

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 11:51 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, and exactly as last week I can not do *anything*. And everyone who could do something is in Argentina, I guess sleeping right now.

We really need to change this. And best before we have exactly the same next saturday, again.
(Sadly, as said, I can do *absolutely* nothing, I can not even do anything to change that I can do nothing.)

Something is fundamentally wrong here.

   Marcus

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
smalltalkhub is down:

Doru

--

"Every thing has its own flow"

Marcus Denker  --  [hidden email]
http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: smalltalkhub is down

Johan Brichau-2

> On 02 Nov 2013, at 05:51, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Something is fundamentally wrong here.

Yes. And it is hurting the trust people have in smalltalkhub. This is not the way to promote the community either.

I hope there are at least monitoring and auto-restart services running!

Johan

Re: smalltalkhub is down

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

On 02 Nov 2013, at 12:23, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 02 Nov 2013, at 05:51, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Something is fundamentally wrong here.
>
> Yes. And it is hurting the trust people have in smalltalkhub. This is not the way to promote the community either.
>
> I hope there are at least monitoring and auto-restart services running!
>
> Johan

I suspect that the problem is that a database (Mongo DB) is involved so that before each (potentially automatic) restart a human has to make sure that the database is not corrupt. If the application/webapp and the DB are really very well separated then that should be less of a problem.

That being said, the situation should definitively be improved ;-)

Re: smalltalkhub is down

kilon.alios
and its alive again !

If anyone cares about my personal opinion, and I hope not many people do , I think it would be better for Pharoers to embrace Github. Not because smalltalkhub is more prone to crashes , not because it has much less features, but because of the amount of exposer it can give to our community.

I think that if more and more Github users, and there are tons of them out there, starting seeing Pharo project popping around like mushrooms , they may ask the question "What the hell is Pharo" and maybe just maybe this bring more people to our side that may try Pharo , love it and want to help us make it more awesome.

So if we could make committing to Gihub as convenient as committing to  Smalltalkhub then its a matter of porting projects to it. Imagine what would happen if one of those great smalltalkhub projects became the project of the month for Github.

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 1:36 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 02 Nov 2013, at 12:23, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 02 Nov 2013, at 05:51, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Something is fundamentally wrong here.
>
> Yes. And it is hurting the trust people have in smalltalkhub. This is not the way to promote the community either.
>
> I hope there are at least monitoring and auto-restart services running!
>
> Johan

I suspect that the problem is that a database (Mongo DB) is involved so that before each (potentially automatic) restart a human has to make sure that the database is not corrupt. If the application/webapp and the DB are really very well separated then that should be less of a problem.

That being said, the situation should definitively be improved ;-)

Re: smalltalkhub is down

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am happy you are excited about the promise of GitHub.

The only thing left to do is to make it happen, and I kindly invite you to join the others interested in precisely making it happen. Just send a message around showing your availability to code in this direction, and I am sure that people will point you to what is left to do.

Doru

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
and its alive again !

If anyone cares about my personal opinion, and I hope not many people do , I think it would be better for Pharoers to embrace Github. Not because smalltalkhub is more prone to crashes , not because it has much less features, but because of the amount of exposer it can give to our community.

I think that if more and more Github users, and there are tons of them out there, starting seeing Pharo project popping around like mushrooms , they may ask the question "What the hell is Pharo" and maybe just maybe this bring more people to our side that may try Pharo , love it and want to help us make it more awesome.

So if we could make committing to Gihub as convenient as committing to  Smalltalkhub then its a matter of porting projects to it. Imagine what would happen if one of those great smalltalkhub projects became the project of the month for Github.

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 1:36 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 02 Nov 2013, at 12:23, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 02 Nov 2013, at 05:51, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Something is fundamentally wrong here.
>
> Yes. And it is hurting the trust people have in smalltalkhub. This is not the way to promote the community either.
>
> I hope there are at least monitoring and auto-restart services running!
>
> Johan

I suspect that the problem is that a database (Mongo DB) is involved so that before each (potentially automatic) restart a human has to make sure that the database is not corrupt. If the application/webapp and the DB are really very well separated then that should be less of a problem.

That being said, the situation should definitively be improved ;-)

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: smalltalkhub is down

EstebanLM

On Nov 2, 2013, at 8:36 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02 Nov 2013, at 12:23, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>> On 02 Nov 2013, at 05:51, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Something is fundamentally wrong here.
>>
>> Yes. And it is hurting the trust people have in smalltalkhub. This is not the way to promote the community either.
>>
>> I hope there are at least monitoring and auto-restart services running!
>>
>> Johan
>
> I suspect that the problem is that a database (Mongo DB) is involved so that before each (potentially automatic) restart a human has to make sure that the database is not corrupt. If the application/webapp and the DB are really very well separated then that should be less of a problem.

the problem is external semaphores saturation and errors while cleaning them.
Now, the real problem is that shit always happens when there is no one available to provide a real fix, so for now we are just restarting the service each time it crashes, and we will (bah, Nico will) provide a real solution after holidays :)

Esteban

> That being said, the situation should definitively be improved ;-)

Re: smalltalkhub is down

kilon.alios
For me its not even a question of willing to contribute. The project I am working on will need convenient ways of distributing libraries and Github was always on the top of my list,  so I was planning on working on this anyway. But yes I will start a new thread for discussing this.

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am happy you are excited about the promise of GitHub.

The only thing left to do is to make it happen, and I kindly invite you to join the others interested in precisely making it happen. Just send a message around showing your availability to code in this direction, and I am sure that people will point you to what is left to do.

Doru

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
and its alive again !

If anyone cares about my personal opinion, and I hope not many people do , I think it would be better for Pharoers to embrace Github. Not because smalltalkhub is more prone to crashes , not because it has much less features, but because of the amount of exposer it can give to our community.

I think that if more and more Github users, and there are tons of them out there, starting seeing Pharo project popping around like mushrooms , they may ask the question "What the hell is Pharo" and maybe just maybe this bring more people to our side that may try Pharo , love it and want to help us make it more awesome.

So if we could make committing to Gihub as convenient as committing to  Smalltalkhub then its a matter of porting projects to it. Imagine what would happen if one of those great smalltalkhub projects became the project of the month for Github.

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 1:36 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 02 Nov 2013, at 12:23, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 02 Nov 2013, at 05:51, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Something is fundamentally wrong here.
>
> Yes. And it is hurting the trust people have in smalltalkhub. This is not the way to promote the community either.
>
> I hope there are at least monitoring and auto-restart services running!
>
> Johan

I suspect that the problem is that a database (Mongo DB) is involved so that before each (potentially automatic) restart a human has to make sure that the database is not corrupt. If the application/webapp and the DB are really very well separated then that should be less of a problem.

That being said, the situation should definitively be improved ;-)

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: smalltalkhub is down

philippeback
Load the filetree configuration from the configuration browser (Pharo 2.0 here) and you'll be good to go.

It works with any git repo. With the filtetree:// repository, it will put the files in your local workspace. Then you can use whatever git client to commit and push stuff out. I do use SourceTree from Atlassian successfully on both OSX and Windows8.

Sample (simple) repo: https://github.com/philippeback/filetreedemo in case you want to see what you'll get out of this.

This is all nice and well but frankly, basic Mczs aren't that bad after all :-)

Phil

Re: smalltalkhub is down

philippeback
What kind of thing creates that semaphore saturation ?

Just curious,

Phil

Re: smalltalkhub is down

EstebanLM

On Nov 2, 2013, at 10:21 AM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

and its alive again !

If anyone cares about my personal opinion, and I hope not many people do , I think it would be better for Pharoers to embrace Github. Not because smalltalkhub is more prone to crashes , not because it has much less features, but because of the amount of exposer it can give to our community.

that's our path in the long term... now it is not easy to move our tools, etc. (and specially our culture), so it will take time... and in the mean time, smalltalkhub has to work properly :)

I think that if more and more Github users, and there are tons of them out there, starting seeing Pharo project popping around like mushrooms , they may ask the question "What the hell is Pharo" and maybe just maybe this bring more people to our side that may try Pharo , love it and want to help us make it more awesome.

So if we could make committing to Gihub as convenient as committing to  Smalltalkhub then its a matter of porting projects to it. Imagine what would happen if one of those great smalltalkhub projects became the project of the month for Github.

yes, IMNSHO, github (or any other of the services around, but github is the most popular) is the way to go because tons of good reasons (and one of them is that we should stop spending time in something that others can solve for us).
but as I said... it will take time :)

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 1:36 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 02 Nov 2013, at 12:23, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 02 Nov 2013, at 05:51, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Something is fundamentally wrong here.
>
> Yes. And it is hurting the trust people have in smalltalkhub. This is not the way to promote the community either.
>
> I hope there are at least monitoring and auto-restart services running!
>
> Johan

I suspect that the problem is that a database (Mongo DB) is involved so that before each (potentially automatic) restart a human has to make sure that the database is not corrupt. If the application/webapp and the DB are really very well separated then that should be less of a problem.

That being said, the situation should definitively be improved ;-)

Re: smalltalkhub is down

gcotelli
Phil,
when you use filetree and change only some methods in the package and later save it, filetree only re-generates the files for the changes or for the whole package?.

I want to use GitHub for a small project, but if filetree generates all the files on every save (and not only the changes) it won't be useful for me.

Thanks
Gabriel

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 10:45 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Load the filetree configuration from the configuration browser (Pharo 2.0 here) and you'll be good to go.

It works with any git repo. With the filtetree:// repository, it will put the files in your local workspace. Then you can use whatever git client to commit and push stuff out. I do use SourceTree from Atlassian successfully on both OSX and Windows8.

Sample (simple) repo: https://github.com/philippeback/filetreedemo in case you want to see what you'll get out of this.

This is all nice and well but frankly, basic Mczs aren't that bad after all :-)

Phil

Re: smalltalkhub is down

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

On 02 Nov 2013, at 20:39, Gabriel Cotelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Phil,
> when you use filetree and change only some methods in the package and later save it, filetree only re-generates the files for the changes or for the whole package?.
>
> I want to use GitHub for a small project, but if filetree generates all the files on every save (and not only the changes) it won't be useful for me.
>
> Thanks
> Gabriel

It saves them all, but git sees that only a couple have changed, so there is no problem: you’ll get the correct change set to add and commit. Anyway, that is how I think it works.

> On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 10:45 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Load the filetree configuration from the configuration browser (Pharo 2.0 here) and you'll be good to go.
>
> Some more here: https://github.com/dalehenrich/filetree
>
> It works with any git repo. With the filtetree:// repository, it will put the files in your local workspace. Then you can use whatever git client to commit and push stuff out. I do use SourceTree from Atlassian successfully on both OSX and Windows8.
>
> Sample (simple) repo: https://github.com/philippeback/filetreedemo in case you want to see what you'll get out of this.
>
> This is all nice and well but frankly, basic Mczs aren't that bad after all :-)
>
> Phil

Re: smalltalkhub is down

kilon.alios
Thats correct , git compares files with their registered date of modification, if the file is more recent it becomes part of the commit. New files are  (new as new filename) ignored unless git add is applied to them. Git commits whole files and not parts of them.

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 11:11 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 02 Nov 2013, at 20:39, Gabriel Cotelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Phil,
> when you use filetree and change only some methods in the package and later save it, filetree only re-generates the files for the changes or for the whole package?.
>
> I want to use GitHub for a small project, but if filetree generates all the files on every save (and not only the changes) it won't be useful for me.
>
> Thanks
> Gabriel

It saves them all, but git sees that only a couple have changed, so there is no problem: you’ll get the correct change set to add and commit. Anyway, that is how I think it works.

> On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 10:45 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Load the filetree configuration from the configuration browser (Pharo 2.0 here) and you'll be good to go.
>
> Some more here: https://github.com/dalehenrich/filetree
>
> It works with any git repo. With the filtetree:// repository, it will put the files in your local workspace. Then you can use whatever git client to commit and push stuff out. I do use SourceTree from Atlassian successfully on both OSX and Windows8.
>
> Sample (simple) repo: https://github.com/philippeback/filetreedemo in case you want to see what you'll get out of this.
>
> This is all nice and well but frankly, basic Mczs aren't that bad after all :-)
>
> Phil

SmalltalkHub is down

roberto.minelli@usi.ch
:’(