some Roassal use cases

Ben Coman
Just to give you an idea of where I would like to end up... referring to
the attached [1] & [2].  I am looking to be able to generate a first
layout from data by applying a layout, but then mostly move nodes around
and draw links manually - then save and load these layouts.  I imagine
that similar might be useful for software analysis wanting to
intuitively arrange a few nodes to annotate together for printing
purposes - saving different zoomed in "views" of the system under analysis.

One thing I am contemplating is whether one of my "busbar" shapes could
be defined to have several regularly spaced attachpoints, with the
attachpoints themselves optionally visible - either full time or when
hovering over a shape.

Also I'd like to be able to group shapes that a layout can act on as a
whole.  A little different from the MOFormsBuilder, it would just be
offsets relative to each other, to the point where interactively you
could multi-select nodes and "Group" them to be acted on by a layout as
a whole.

I've also marked a couple of other ideas on these attached files.
[1] Roassal Use Case - Motor Control Centre Single Line Diagram (small).pdf
[2] Roassal Use Case - Industrial Plant Power Distribution Single Line
Diagram (small).pdf

cheers, -ben

Roassal Use Case - Motor Control Centre Single Line Diagram (small).pdf (144K) Download Attachment
Roassal Use Case - Industrial Plant Power Distribution Single Line Diagram(small).pdf (148K) Download Attachment

Re: some Roassal use cases

abergel
> Just to give you an idea of where I would like to end up... referring to the attached [1] & [2].  I am looking to be able to generate a first layout from data by applying a layout, but then mostly move nodes around and draw links manually - then save and load these layouts.  I imagine that similar might be useful for software analysis wanting to intuitively arrange a few nodes to annotate together for printing purposes - saving different zoomed in "views" of the system under analysis.

We should have a way to compose layouts. Currently, it is really primitive. Maybe something like:

layout := ROCompositeLayout new.
layout forNodes: [ :node | node model = 'alayout' ] use: (ROGridLayout new gapSize: 2).
layout forEdges: [ :edge | edge from model = 'Important node' ] setSpringForce: #strong.
layout defaultNodeLayout: ROTreeLayout.

nodes having 'alayout' as a model will be ordering using a grid layout.
nodes connected to 'important node' will be close to each other.
else a tree layout.

> One thing I am contemplating is whether one of my "busbar" shapes could be defined to have several regularly spaced attachpoints, with the attachpoints themselves optionally visible - either full time or when hovering over a shape.
> Also I'd like to be able to group shapes that a layout can act on as a whole.

a layout places elements. Shapes are solely the graphical representation.

> A little different from the MOFormsBuilder, it would just be offsets relative to each other, to the point where interactively you could multi-select nodes and "Group" them to be acted on by a layout as a whole.

What do you feel is missing in the way nodes may be grouped?
An element may contains other elements. Isn't it enough?

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu