some simple (hopefully!) visualgst ideas

some simple (hopefully!) visualgst ideas

Paolo Bonzini-2
All,

looks like visualgst is healthy and is introducing some interesting
improvements to Smalltalk browsing:

- sidebar sender/implementor
- compilation errors in an infobar
- tabbed browsing

Here are some more ideas to improve VisualGST with respect to this points:

1) finish the transition to BrowserState objects by:
- adding ContextState for the debugger
- adding #state: to the browsers replacing the complicated #select...
methods; setting a state automatically updates the listboxes
- rationale: this should simplify fixing
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/project/issue/505 by reverting to the previous
state upon a compilation error

2) merge the two notebooks
- rationale: the required refactoring will ultimately make it easier to
provide pluggable tools (e.g. sunit browser within GtkLauncher) and
multiple GtkLaunchers

3) improve RBParser to provide fine-grained Exception objects; calling
the parse error block should simply be the default action of the exceptions
- rationale: fine grained exceptions are an easy way to customize the
compilation error infobar and provide squeak's "declare undefined
variable as..." functionality
- could also be used for incremental parsing. making an incomplete but
valid parse tree can help autocompletion

Paolo

Re: some simple (hopefully!) visualgst ideas

MrGwen
Hi Paolo,

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Paolo Bonzini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> looks like visualgst is healthy and is introducing some interesting
> improvements to Smalltalk browsing:
>
> - sidebar sender/implementor
> - compilation errors in an infobar
> - tabbed browsing
>
> Here are some more ideas to improve VisualGST with respect to this points:
>
> 1) finish the transition to BrowserState objects by:
> - adding ContextState for the debugger
> - adding #state: to the browsers replacing the complicated #select...
> methods; setting a state automatically updates the listboxes
> - rationale: this should simplify fixing
> http://smalltalk.gnu.org/project/issue/505 by reverting to the previous
> state upon a compilation error

Good idea

> 2) merge the two notebooks
> - rationale: the required refactoring will ultimately make it easier to
> provide pluggable tools (e.g. sunit browser within GtkLauncher) and multiple
> GtkLaunchers

That should be pretty simple: create a new widget with both notebooks.

> 3) improve RBParser to provide fine-grained Exception objects; calling the
> parse error block should simply be the default action of the exceptions
> - rationale: fine grained exceptions are an easy way to customize the
> compilation error infobar and provide squeak's "declare undefined variable
> as..." functionality

Yes, we should put it in the to do list.

> - could also be used for incremental parsing. making an incomplete but valid
> parse tree can help autocompletion

For the autocompletion there is OCompletion feel free to port it ;-P.

Your idea are good, but also we should focus on these points:

- finish the package builder
- versionning support. Do you want to have everything on your image? I
don't, what
happens if there is a crash ...
- finish the debugger
- test everythings since the soft becomes bigger and bigger everything
 should be tested.

Gwen

> Paolo

Re: some simple (hopefully!) visualgst ideas

MrGwen
I've added your ideas to the refactoring ideas in the VisualGST wiki

On 09/27/2010 10:39 AM, Gwenaël Casaccio wrote:
> - finish the package builder
> - versionning support. Do you want to have everything on your image? I
> don't, what happens if there is a crash ...

These are very much related.  As soon as you have the package builder,
adding a "commit" menu item is a very simple task.

Paolo

Re: some simple (hopefully!) visualgst ideas

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 09/27/2010 10:39 AM, Gwenaël Casaccio wrote:
>> >  2) merge the two notebooks
>> >  - rationale: the required refactoring will ultimately make it easier to
>> >  provide pluggable tools (e.g. sunit browser within GtkLauncher) and multiple
>> >  GtkLaunchers
>
> That should be pretty simple: create a new widget with both notebooks.

I meant "merge the two notebooks" as "have only one strip of tabs". :)

Paolo