sort-of-embedded-SQL in Dolphin

Steve Zara
I'm in the process of porting a large amount of JDBC-using code to
Dolphin, and I have made the system much more consise and readable
by writing some wrapper classes for the Database Connection that allows
the writing of SQL-like staments, with methods such as #insert:,
#delete, #update, and this also simplifies the retrieval of single values,
counts, sums etc. from queries without having to handle ResultSets or rows.

This is still alpha code, but if anyone is interested, I'll make it available.
The aim of this is to allow non-coders who know SQL to write stuff that will
run directly in Dolphin.

Steve Zara

Re: sort-of-embedded-SQL in Dolphin

Pearapon S.
Hi Steve ,

        I am very interested in your "embedded-SQL" package for Dolphin. I
think it will be very useful for the rest of us here.

Regards,
Pearapon S.

Re: sort-of-embedded-SQL in Dolphin

Jan Theodore Galkowski-3
A SERFer wrote:

> I'm in the process of porting a large amount of JDBC-using code to
> Dolphin, and I have made the system much more consise and readable
> by writing some wrapper classes for the Database Connection that allows
> the writing of SQL-like staments, with methods such as #insert:,
> #delete, #update, and this also simplifies the retrieval of single values,
> counts, sums etc. from queries without having to handle ResultSets or rows.
>
> This is still alpha code, but if anyone is interested, I'll make it available.
> The aim of this is to allow non-coders who know SQL to write stuff that will
> run directly in Dolphin.

I'm interested, too.  --jtg

 Jan Theodore Galkowski        ºoº            [hidden email]
 algebraist.com/   wikiweb.com/    atlasti.de/      [hidden email]
 Ask me about the Disney Vacation Club, or see  algebraist.com/dvc.htm
             "Smalltalk?  Yes, it's really that slick."
   Want to know more?  Check out whysmalltalk.com/, object-arts.com/

Jan Theodore Galkowski <[hidden email]> writes:

>A SERFer wrote:>> This is still alpha code, but if anyone is interested, I'll make it available.
>> The aim of this is to allow non-coders who know SQL to write stuff that will
>> run directly in Dolphin.
>
>I'm interested, too.  --jtg

OK  ... I'll put in up as a Dolphin 4 PAC at
http://www.serf.org/steve/Dolphin
tomorrow.

Is this the kind of thing (i.e. notes about the idea and a link to the code)
that is appropriate for the Dolphin Wiki?

Steve

Re: sort-of-embedded-SQL in Dolphin

Blair McGlashan
Steve

You wrote in message news:[hidden email]...
> OK  ... I'll put in up as a Dolphin 4 PAC at
> http://www.serf.org/steve/Dolphin
> tomorrow.
>
> Is this the kind of thing (i.e. notes about the idea and a link to the
code)
> that is appropriate for the Dolphin Wiki?

Yes, absolutely. Actually any kind of information about Dolphin you think
might be useful to others is appropriate. We don't exercise any editorial
control (other than that which any member of the community may exercise to
expunge material they feel is inappropriate, obscene, etc).

Regards

Blair

Re: sort-of-embedded-SQL in Dolphin

Christopher J. Demers
A SERFer <[hidden email]> wrote in message news:[hidden email]...

> I'm in the process of porting a large amount of JDBC-using code to
> Dolphin, and I have made the system much more consise and readable
> by writing some wrapper classes for the Database Connection that allows
> the writing of SQL-like staments, with methods such as #insert:,
> #delete, #update, and this also simplifies the retrieval of single values,
> counts, sums etc. from queries without having to handle ResultSets or
rows.

Yes, I am interested in this as well.  I have previously done most of my DB
work in MS Access.  I want to get away from that and do more in Smalltalk.
I certainly don't miss VBA, but I do miss some of the DB integration.

One thing I noticed on my first Dolphin DB application was that I _had_ to
use a precompiled query if I wanted decent speed.  I am not sure if my
experience was the exception, or the norm.  My program added a few hundred
records to an Access DB via the Database Connection, without precompiled SQL
it was unacceptably slow.  I have not totally decided how I like to handle
precompiled SQL objects yet.  Access used to take care of this for me, so I
have to design things a little differently in Smalltalk.  That might be a
good thing. ;)

I am thinking of looking into wrapping DAO (or ADO if that is more
fashionable these days) in Dolphin.  It might bring me a little closer to
the level of functionality I was used to in Access, at least for rapid
programmatic data manipulation with out worrying about pre-compiling SQL.

Chris