sources

Herby Vojčík
Hello,

not sure if this is a good idea, but it came to my mind (thinking about
classical Smalltalks' img.sources file): should the code be packaged as
it is now - pkg.js and pkg.deploy.js, where code is redundant, just in
the first case it has additional info for IDE? What about saving those
two infos separately - foo.js for classes and methods only (as now in
.deploy.js) and foo.meta.js for IDE metadata (category, args, source,
messageSends, referencedClasses)? IDE can then load the additional info
itself, and if IDE is not run, it is not loaded.

Herby

Re: sources

paul-3
Hi,
sound's logical your way. But what about the diffing?

Hey and what about adding a third file for real deployment? :-)

foo.js
foo.meta.js
foo.mini.js

Kind regards,
Paul

Am Donnerstag, 3. Mai 2012 21:49:24 UTC+2 schrieb Herby:
Hello,

not sure if this is a good idea, but it came to my mind (thinking about
classical Smalltalks' img.sources file): should the code be packaged as
it is now - pkg.js and pkg.deploy.js, where code is redundant, just in
the first case it has additional info for IDE? What about saving those
two infos separately - foo.js for classes and methods only (as now in
.deploy.js) and foo.meta.js for IDE metadata (category, args, source,
messageSends, referencedClasses)? IDE can then load the additional info
itself, and if IDE is not run, it is not loaded.

Herby

Re: sources

Nicolas Petton
Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> writes:

Hi!

The IDE uses this infos, but it's not just infos for the IDE. I would
expect to load all the infos, including the source code, when running
the REPL or running Amber on top of node.js for instance. In fact, I
would want all the infos all the time except for deployment. That's
why I think the *.js files should stay as they are.

I see the *.deploy.js files as a convenience for deployment, nothing
more. We could think about not generating them automatically and produce
them through bin/amberc, but I think it's convenient this way.

Cheers,
Nico

> Hello,
>
> not sure if this is a good idea, but it came to my mind (thinking
> about classical Smalltalks' img.sources file): should the code be
> packaged as it is now - pkg.js and pkg.deploy.js, where code is
> redundant, just in the first case it has additional info for IDE? What
> about saving those two infos separately - foo.js for classes and
> methods only (as now in .deploy.js) and foo.meta.js for IDE metadata
> (category, args, source, messageSends, referencedClasses)? IDE can
> then load the additional info itself, and if IDE is not run, it is not
> loaded.
>
> Herby

Re: sources

Herby Vojčík
I see. I always thought of *.deploy.js as the base and *.js as the
"enhanced". It would be fine if they could be not generated, making them
is easy later (even from *.js themselves, by mocking the few methods
they call and outputting the calls with stripped args).

Herby