speedup to window activation

Torsten Bergmann
comment from Morphic-Windows-edc.2.mcz in http://source.squeak.org/trunk

"Adds a nice speedup to window activation by removing a bit of code intended as optimization but actually causing significnt slowdowns when opening new windows. Speeds up the overall browser benchmark by 20-25%."

Maybe someone with a little bit time is able to have a look if
this can be applied for pharo too...

Re: speedup to window activation

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks!
I'm going over CUIS changesets and will integrate some of them as soon
as marcus fix
the dirty packages (but his laptop just broke).

Stef

On Jul 22, 2009, at 11:02 PM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> comment from Morphic-Windows-edc.2.mcz in http://source.squeak.org/trunk
>
> "Adds a nice speedup to window activation by removing a bit of code
> intended as optimization but actually causing significnt slowdowns
> when opening new windows. Speeds up the overall browser benchmark by
> 20-25%."
>
> Maybe someone with a little bit time is able to have a look if
> this can be applied for pharo too...

Re: speedup to window activation

Damien Cassou
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:02 PM, Torsten Bergmann<[hidden email]> wrote:
> comment from Morphic-Windows-edc.2.mcz in http://source.squeak.org/trunk
>
> "Adds a nice speedup to window activation by removing a bit of code intended as optimization but actually causing significnt slowdowns when opening new windows. Speeds up the overall browser benchmark by 20-25%."
>
> Maybe someone with a little bit time is able to have a look if
> this can be applied for pharo too...

Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: speedup to window activation

torsten

I spent some time to find what would be this great improvement but I
could not identify it.
If you find it let me know
Stef
On Jul 22, 2009, at 11:02 PM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> comment from Morphic-Windows-edc.2.mcz in http://source.squeak.org/trunk
>
> "Adds a nice speedup to window activation by removing a bit of code
> intended as optimization but actually causing significnt slowdowns
> when opening new windows. Speeds up the overall browser benchmark by
> 20-25%."
>
> Maybe someone with a little bit time is able to have a look if
> this can be applied for pharo too...

Re: speedup to window activation

I found it

passivate
        "Make me unable to respond to mouse and keyboard"

        self setStripeColorsFrom: self paneColorToUse.
        model modelSleep.

        "Control boxes remain active, except in novice mode"
        self submorphsDo: [:m |
                m == labelArea ifFalse:
                        [m lock]].
        labelArea ifNotNil:
                [labelArea submorphsDo: [:m |
                        (m == closeBox or: [m == collapseBox])
                                ifTrue:
                                        [Preferences noviceMode ifTrue: [m lock]]
                                ifFalse:
                                        [m lock]]]
                ifNil: "i.e. label area is nil, so we're titleless"
                        [self adjustBorderUponDeactivationWhenLabeless].
        self world ifNotNil:  "clean damage now, so dont merge this rect with
new top window"
                [self world == World ifTrue: [self world displayWorld]].

apparently these are the last two lines

Re: speedup to window activation

Stéphane Ducasse
but the pharo version looks like this

passivate
        "Make me unable to respond to mouse and keyboard"

        super passivate.
        self setStripeColorsFrom: self paneColorToUse.
        model modelSleep.
        "Control boxes remain active, except in novice mode"
        self lockInactivePortions.
        labelArea ifNil: "i.e. label area is nil, so we're titleless"
                [self adjustBorderUponDeactivationWhenLabeless]

so we were already fast ;)