spotter preview

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

The Glamorous Team is happy to present a new feature in Spotter: preview (you toggle it with Cmd+p). We think this boosts the usefulness of the Spotter interface significantly.

Inline image 1

For more details, please take a look at:

This is available in the Moose image, and it will soon be integrated in the Pharo one.

Please let us know what you think.

Cheers,
Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: spotter preview

nacho
Really cool.
What's the key combination for Windows?
Thanks Doru

Lic. Ignacio Sniechowski, MBA
Prosavic SRL

Tel: (011) 4542-6714

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 6:02 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

The Glamorous Team is happy to present a new feature in Spotter: preview (you toggle it with Cmd+p). We think this boosts the usefulness of the Spotter interface significantly.

Inline image 1

For more details, please take a look at:

This is available in the Moose image, and it will soon be integrated in the Pharo one.

Please let us know what you think.

Cheers,
Doru

--

"Every thing has its own flow"

Nacho Smalltalker apprentice. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: spotter preview

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

The keybindings are:
- trigger Spotter with Shift+Enter.
- toggle preview with Cmd+P (or Alt+P on Windows/Linux)

Doru

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 10:06 PM, Ignacio Sniechowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: spotter preview

Marcus Denker-4

On 02 Feb 2015, at 22:02, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

The Glamorous Team is happy to present a new feature in Spotter: preview (you toggle it with Cmd+p). We think this boosts the usefulness of the Spotter interface significantly.

<spotter-method-preview.png>

For more details, please take a look at:

This is available in the Moose image, and it will soon be integrated in the Pharo one.

This is now in Pharo4 update 473 (the latest one from today).

Marcus

Re: spotter preview

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
nacho wrote
Really cool.
Yes, awesome!! Why not preview by default (like Mac's Spotlight)? At Smalltalk's high-granularity, I would guess there's not much of a lag, no?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: spotter preview

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

We thought that the visual space occupied when in preview mode might be too much.

But, once you open the preview, it stays opened for subsequent usages.

Cheers,
Doru

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
nacho wrote
> Really cool.

Yes, awesome!! Why not preview by default (like Mac's Spotlight)? At
Smalltalk's high-granularity, I would guess there's not much of a lag, no?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: spotter preview

Peter Uhnak
The keybindings are:
- trigger Spotter with Shift+Enter.
- toggle preview with Cmd+P (or Alt+P on Windows/Linux)

It would be great to have all the keybindings (also moving inside the Spotter) written somewhere in one place (for all platforms) so one doesn't need to go scavenge blogs and source code for them.
And also as someone pointed out during Pharo Days... to have tooltips above the buttons showing the shortcut.

But I love this thing... you always add something cool. :)

Peter

Re: spotter preview

kilon.alios
"And also as someone pointed out during Pharo Days... to have tooltips above the buttons showing the shortcut."

+1

GT tools have greatly enhanced the Pharo experience. I do think that GTInspector and GTPlayground could use a GUI cleanup in their design but GTSpotter is gorgeously well done. The nice thing about this tool is that the way its designed it can replace pretty much every single tool inside Pharo.
I could imagine myself coding solely inside it. Who knows maybe in the future :)

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 6:35 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
The keybindings are:
- trigger Spotter with Shift+Enter.
- toggle preview with Cmd+P (or Alt+P on Windows/Linux)

It would be great to have all the keybindings (also moving inside the Spotter) written somewhere in one place (for all platforms) so one doesn't need to go scavenge blogs and source code for them.
And also as someone pointed out during Pharo Days... to have tooltips above the buttons showing the shortcut.

But I love this thing... you always add something cool. :)

Peter

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: [Pharo-dev] spotter preview

NorbertHartl

Am 03.02.2015 um 13:25 schrieb Marcus Denker <[hidden email]>:

On 02 Feb 2015, at 22:02, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

The Glamorous Team is happy to present a new feature in Spotter: preview (you toggle it with Cmd+p). We think this boosts the usefulness of the Spotter interface significantly.

<spotter-method-preview.png>

Really cool. I updated my pharo4 to 474 and can see the preview. But once switched on it seems to stay that way. Cmd+P does not remove the preview. Closing and opening the spotter again shows the preview opened.

Norbert

For more details, please take a look at:

This is available in the Moose image, and it will soon be integrated in the Pharo one.

This is now in Pharo4 update 473 (the latest one from today).

Marcus

Re: [Pharo-dev] spotter preview

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Hmm. I cannot reproduce your problem. I do this:
- Shift+Enter - Spotter is opened without preview
- Cmd+P - preview is opened
- Esc
- Shift+Enter - Spotter is opened with preview
- Cmd+P - preview is closed
- Shift+Enter - Spotter is opened without preview

Does this not work for you in this way?

Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Am 04.02.2015 um 13:54 schrieb Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>:

Hi,

Hmm. I cannot reproduce your problem. I do this:
- Shift+Enter - Spotter is opened without preview
- Cmd+P - preview is opened
- Esc
- Shift+Enter - Spotter is opened with preview
- Cmd+P - preview is closed
- Shift+Enter - Spotter is opened without preview

Does this not work for you in this way?

Hmm, now it works. Sorry for the confusion. Now I have another problem. I had it twice that an inspector that was minimized for some time declines to be edited. Let's see what I can figure out.

Norbert

[...]

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: spotter preview

laurent laffont

I really like Spotter. The preview feature makes me think that would be useful to have it in code completion.  So often I use the wrong method because completion does not display class name. The ability to have code preview in code completion (and maybe class hierarchy too) would make me open far less browser I think.

An easy first step may be that when I type Shift+enter to open Spotter it copies the word where the cursor is placed in a text editor in the Spotter search field.

Cheers,

Laurent