spotter usage - a rough analysis of categories

spotter usage - a rough analysis of categories

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Juraj, Andrei and I did a rough analysis collected from 94 computers over the past 7 months. Of these, only 42 recorded more than 9 sessions so we only focused on these. It can be because the rest switched off the data collection in the meantime. We also excluded the computers of the GT team members.

Of these 34 used the dive-in feature. That is, these users used at least one contextual search.

We looked at the event of acting on an element (pressing Enter), and we collected the parent category. Acting on an item indicates that intent of search. There are 35 categories used in total, with 8 being used by 10 people (25% of the studied population) or more. Below you can see also the amount of computers using it:

'Classes'->40
'Implementors'->38
'History'->34
'Menu'->24
'Packages'->23
'Messages'->19
'Catalog Projects'->12
'Instance methods'->10
'Senders'->9
'Pragmas'->6
'References'->5
'Playground named pages'->5
'Playground cached pages'->4
'Help topics'->4
'Examples'->3
'Super instance methods'->3
'Selectors'->3
'ws.stfx.eu'->2
'GitHub Baselines'->2
'Dirty Monticello packages'->2
'Class methods'->2
'Global variables'->1
'All subclasses'->1
'Example Subjects'->1
'Files'->1
'Monticello Repositories'->1
'Metacello Configurations'->1
'Class instance variables'->1
'Items'->1
'Tags'->1
'Help contents'->1
'Monticello Package'->1
'Instance variables'->1
'Productions'->1
'Methods'->1

Also, in this analysis, some of the categories appear also at deeper levels (Senders, Implementors, References, Instance methods).

As expected, Classes and Implementors are on top. Yet, the third is History, and it is also interesting to see that there is a high usage of a search through the World menu elements, but also of the Packages.

We also note that there is quite a long tail, and this seems to confirm the hypothesis that different people have different needs and that these differences should be supported by the IDE.

This analysis was carried out using the code that Juraj and Andrei put together for analyzing the data from the event recorder.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Value is always contextual."

Re: [Pharo-dev] spotter usage - a rough analysis of categories

abergel
Impressive analysis! This is worth to discuss these findings in an academic venue.

Alexandre

> [...]
> 'Help contents'->1
> 'Monticello Package'->1
> 'Instance variables'->1
> 'Productions'->1
> 'Methods'->1
>
> Also, in this analysis, some of the categories appear also at deeper levels (Senders, Implementors, References, Instance methods).
>
> As expected, Classes and Implementors are on top. Yet, the third is History, and it is also interesting to see that there is a high usage of a search through the World menu elements, but also of the Packages.
>
> We also note that there is quite a long tail, and this seems to confirm the hypothesis that different people have different needs and that these differences should be supported by the IDE.
>
> This analysis was carried out using the code that Juraj and Andrei put together for analyzing the data from the event recorder.

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: spotter usage - a rough analysis of categories

stepharo
Juraj, Andrei and I did a rough analysis collected from 94 computers over the past 7 months. Of these, only 42 recorded more than 9 sessions so we only focused on these. It can be because the rest switched off the data collection in the meantime. We also excluded the computers of the GT team members.

Of these 34 used the dive-in feature. That is, these users used at least one contextual search.

We looked at the event of acting on an element (pressing Enter), and we collected the parent category. Acting on an item indicates that intent of search. There are 35 categories used in total, with 8 being used by 10 people (25% of the studied population) or more. Below you can see also the amount of computers using it:

'Classes'->40
'Implementors'->38
'History'->34
Makes sense
I noticed that menus often show for me and I press stupidly but I do not want them.
'Menu'->24
'Packages'->23
'Messages'->19
I still do not remember the difference between messages and selectors. So may be once a guy understand
something he sticks with it.
'Catalog Projects'->12
'Instance methods'->10
what is it?
'Senders'->9
'Pragmas'->6
'References'->5

I gave up to try to get classes refs with Spotter
and I tried pragmas but I could not find what I wanted so I gave up also
May be other people did the same.

[...]

it means nothing because may be this is one lost guy that tried to understand how to invoke each of them.

This analysis was carried out using the code that Juraj and Andrei put together for analyzing the data from the event recorder.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Value is always contextual."

Re: spotter usage - a rough analysis of categories

Ben Coman

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 2:16 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

A pivot table of User Tag against Spotter Category would be interesting.
 cheers -ben