[squak-dev] How do I change the debugger highlighting color?

cbc

[squak-dev] How do I change the debugger highlighting color?

cbc
Because I really, really need too change the color. I can't see where the error is - the 'highlight' color is so faint, it looks like nothing is highlighted at all.  It makes tracking down where the error is really, really hard.

I had a similar issue a few years ago with the Moose guys - they changed the sliders in the windows to be more aesthetically pleasing, but on some LCD monitors (notably, mine), the color is practically not there at all - like, apparently, this highlight color.

Thanks,
cbc

Re: [squak-dev] How do I change the debugger highlighting color?

Karl Ramberg
WorldMenu/apperance/text highlight color

Make sure transparency at the top bar in the color picker is set to more opaque

Karl

cbc

Re: [squak-dev] How do I change the debugger highlighting color?

cbc
Close.  That works for text highlighting:
Inline image 1
but not the debugger:
Inline image 2
That's the one I want to find.  When it is in the middle of a bunch of text - really hard to see.

Now, if I click in the window, the highlight shows up fine - but, of course, it then changes where the highlight is, so that doesn't work well, either.

-cbc

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 10:39 AM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
WorldMenu/apperance/text highlight color

Make sure transparency at the top bar in the color picker is set to more opaque

Karl

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 5:58 PM, Chris Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:
Because I really, really need too change the color. I can't see where the error is - the 'highlight' color is so faint, it looks like nothing is highlighted at all.  It makes tracking down where the error is really, really hard.

I had a similar issue a few years ago with the Moose guys - they changed the sliders in the windows to be more aesthetically pleasing, but on some LCD monitors (notably, mine), the color is practically not there at all - like, apparently, this highlight color.

Thanks,
cbc

Re: [squak-dev] How do I change the debugger highlighting color?

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Chris,

    look at pcRange, and its wrapper contentsSelection.  BTW, looks like selectPC should be deleted.

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: [squak-dev] How do I change the debugger highlighting color?

Karl Ramberg
I tracked it down to
NewParagraph>>selectionColor
| color | Display depth = 1 ifTrue: [^ Color veryLightGray]. Display depth = 2 ifTrue: [^ Color gray]. color := Preferences textHighlightColor. self focused ifFalse: [color := Color gray: 0.9]. ^ color

I liked the previous version of this method better since the
unfocused color reflected the your selection color:

self focused ifFalse: [color := color alphaMixed: 0.2 with: Color veryVeryLightGray].

It's important to see the color of selection in the Debugger even if the pane not has focus

Karl

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 5:58 PM, Chris Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:
Because I really, really need too change the color. I can't see where the error is - the 'highlight' color is so faint, it looks like nothing is highlighted at all.  It makes tracking down where the error is really, really hard.

I had a similar issue a few years ago with the Moose guys - they changed the sliders in the windows to be more aesthetically pleasing, but on some LCD monitors (notably, mine), the color is practically not there at all - like, apparently, this highlight color.

Thanks,
cbc

Re: [squak-dev] How do I change the debugger highlighting color?

marcel.taeumel
Hi,

that change was related to this: http://forum.world.st/Deceptive-focus-cue-in-4-6-browsers-td4827358.html

I would rather not revert it but add some additional selection ranges + colors to paragraphs. You need those anyway to display, for example, search term matches in text boxes.

Such an additional range could then be used to highlight the current PC. The button "Where" would not be needed anymore. Hey, we can "save a button"! :)

Best,
Marcel
cbc

Re: [squak-dev] How do I change the debugger highlighting color?

cbc
Thank you Karl for tracking this down.  I have reverted it in my image.

the problem with the gray is that I just cannot see it.  The monitor/my eyes combination just can't make out Color gray: 0.9 as a highlight color - I might as well not have a highlight.

-cbc

On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 10:14 AM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
I tracked it down to
NewParagraph>>selectionColor
| color | Display depth = 1 ifTrue: [^ Color veryLightGray]. Display depth = 2 ifTrue: [^ Color gray]. color := Preferences textHighlightColor. self focused ifFalse: [color := Color gray: 0.9]. ^ color

I liked the previous version of this method better since the
unfocused color reflected the your selection color:

self focused ifFalse: [color := color alphaMixed: 0.2 with: Color veryVeryLightGray].

It's important to see the color of selection in the Debugger even if the pane not has focus

Karl

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 5:58 PM, Chris Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:
Because I really, really need too change the color. I can't see where the error is - the 'highlight' color is so faint, it looks like nothing is highlighted at all.  It makes tracking down where the error is really, really hard.

I had a similar issue a few years ago with the Moose guys - they changed the sliders in the windows to be more aesthetically pleasing, but on some LCD monitors (notably, mine), the color is practically not there at all - like, apparently, this highlight color.

Thanks,
cbc

Re: [squak-dev] How do I change the debugger highlighting color?

Karl Ramberg
I knew I had seen this discussion before :-)
Solving one problem creates another.
I agree that the additional range would be nice here.

Karl

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 1:07 PM, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

that change was related to this:
http://forum.world.st/Deceptive-focus-cue-in-4-6-browsers-td4827358.html

I would rather not revert it but add some additional selection ranges +
colors to paragraphs. You need those anyway to display, for example, search
term matches in text boxes.

Such an additional range could then be used to highlight the current PC. The
button "Where" would not be needed anymore. Hey, we can "save a button"! :)

Best,
Marcel

Re: [squak-dev] How do I change the debugger highlighting color?

Karl Ramberg
No problem :-)

Karl

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 5:06 PM, Chris Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you Karl for tracking this down.  I have reverted it in my image.

the problem with the gray is that I just cannot see it.  The monitor/my eyes combination just can't make out Color gray: 0.9 as a highlight color - I might as well not have a highlight.

-cbc

On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 10:14 AM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
I tracked it down to
NewParagraph>>selectionColor
| color | Display depth = 1 ifTrue: [^ Color veryLightGray]. Display depth = 2 ifTrue: [^ Color gray]. color := Preferences textHighlightColor. self focused ifFalse: [color := Color gray: 0.9]. ^ color

I liked the previous version of this method better since the
unfocused color reflected the your selection color:

self focused ifFalse: [color := color alphaMixed: 0.2 with: Color veryVeryLightGray].

It's important to see the color of selection in the Debugger even if the pane not has focus

Karl

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 5:58 PM, Chris Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:
Because I really, really need too change the color. I can't see where the error is - the 'highlight' color is so faint, it looks like nothing is highlighted at all.  It makes tracking down where the error is really, really hard.

I had a similar issue a few years ago with the Moose guys - they changed the sliders in the windows to be more aesthetically pleasing, but on some LCD monitors (notably, mine), the color is practically not there at all - like, apparently, this highlight color.

Thanks,
cbc

Re: [squak-dev] How do I change the debugger highlighting color?

Chris Cunnington-4
I have a Mac Mini plugged into a 23" LG screen and the highlighting does not appear at all. I have a Mac PowerBook 13" and the light gray highlighting is clearly visible. I suspect that this is varying depending on the screen. I'm reverting for my LG screen.

Chris

On 2015-09-21 11:06 AM, Chris Cunningham wrote:
Thank you Karl for tracking this down.  I have reverted it in my image.

the problem with the gray is that I just cannot see it.  The monitor/my eyes combination just can't make out Color gray: 0.9 as a highlight color - I might as well not have a highlight.

-cbc

On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 10:14 AM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
I tracked it down to
NewParagraph>>selectionColor
| color | Display depth = 1 ifTrue: [^ Color veryLightGray]. Display depth = 2 ifTrue: [^ Color gray]. color := Preferences textHighlightColor. self focused ifFalse: [color := Color gray: 0.9]. ^ color
I liked the previous version of this method better since the
unfocused color reflected the your selection color:
self focused ifFalse: [color := color alphaMixed: 0.2 with: Color veryVeryLightGray].
It's important to see the color of selection in the Debugger even if the pane not has focus
Karl

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 5:58 PM, Chris Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:
Because I really, really need too change the color. I can't see where the error is - the 'highlight' color is so faint, it looks like nothing is highlighted at all.  It makes tracking down where the error is really, really hard.

I had a similar issue a few years ago with the Moose guys - they changed the sliders in the windows to be more aesthetically pleasing, but on some LCD monitors (notably, mine), the color is practically not there at all - like, apparently, this highlight color.

Thanks,
cbc

Re: [squak-dev] How do I change the debugger highlighting color?

marcel.taeumel
Well, there is a configurable textHighlightColor already. Why not making that other one also configurable?

Best,
Marcel

Re: [squak-dev] How do I change the debugger highlighting color?

Chris Muller-3
On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 11:12 AM, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well, there is a configurable textHighlightColor already. Why not making that
> other one also configurable?

_Everything_ w.r.t. colors should be configurable.  We need skins / themes.

Re: [squak-dev] How do I change the debugger highlighting color?

timrowledge

On 21-09-2015, at 11:09 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 11:12 AM, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Well, there is a configurable textHighlightColor already. Why not making that
>> other one also configurable?
>
> _Everything_ w.r.t. colors should be configurable.  We need skins / themes.

ColorTheme and 9 subclasses…
Yet another bunch of stuff that isn’t complete and properly used.

tim
Useful random insult:- One too many lights out in his Christmas tree.

Re: [squak-dev] How do I change the debugger highlighting color?

Karl Ramberg
What should the unfocused selection highlight be called ?

textHighlightUnfocusedColor ?

Karl

cbc

Re: [squak-dev] How do I change the debugger highlighting color?

cbc
Good question.

If I get around to it, I'd allow specific color selection, legacy option (which is whever the highlight color was alpha: 2 with light gray), and (if I got really ambitious) playing with the alpha/other color.

I won't have time very soon to do any of this, but if it sticks around long enough, I might get to it.

Karl, maybe
textUnfocusedHighlightColor ?