squeak VM 5.0

12

Re: squeak VM 5.0

Michael van der Gulik-2
On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:54 PM, John M McIntosh
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Obviously some bored developer should take one of these handy 64bit images and with a 64bit vm
> fire it up and create oh mmm let's say a 10GB image?  Just to see, don't forget to save it and reopen,
> do a garbage collect all...
>
> Can't recall hearing of anyone trying an image greater than 2 GB...
>
> If you show proof of a 100GB image, then I'll buy you a beer at the next ESUG.

Do you have a computer with 100GB of memory I could borrow? :-).

Gulik.

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: squeak VM 5.0

keith1y

On 17 Dec 2009, at 02:19, Michael van der Gulik wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:54 PM, John M McIntosh
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Obviously some bored developer should take one of these handy 64bit
>> images and with a 64bit vm
>> fire it up and create oh mmm let's say a 10GB image?  Just to see,
>> don't forget to save it and reopen,
>> do a garbage collect all...
>>
>> Can't recall hearing of anyone trying an image greater than 2 GB...
>>
>> If you show proof of a 100GB image, then I'll buy you a beer at the
>> next ESUG.
>
> Do you have a computer with 100GB of memory I could borrow? :-).
>
> Gulik.

Possibly

Keith

Re: squeak VM 5.0

johnmci
Well I did visit the network operations centre for Sprint once, and the main computer in the bunker was *rather* interesting.

But it could be interesting to see if os-x with 200GB of free disk space would let you expand the swap space to 100GB.
Unfortunately you'll need to page in/out all 100GB of memory, that could take awhile.

On 2009-12-16, at 6:19 PM, Michael van der Gulik wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:54 PM, John M McIntosh
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Obviously some bored developer should take one of these handy 64bit images and with a 64bit vm
>> fire it up and create oh mmm let's say a 10GB image?  Just to see, don't forget to save it and reopen,
>> do a garbage collect all...
>>
>> Can't recall hearing of anyone trying an image greater than 2 GB...
>>
>> If you show proof of a 100GB image, then I'll buy you a beer at the next ESUG.
>
> Do you have a computer with 100GB of memory I could borrow? :-).
>
> Gulik.
>
> --
> http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: [Vm-dev] Re: squeak VM 5.0

jannik laval

I modify the variable in the method "clonePreStartup".
So, it works fine.

=====
!SystemTracer2 methodsFor: 'clone startup' stamp: 'ajh 8/22/2002 11:15'!
clonePreStartup
"This will be executed right away when the new clone starts up, before processStartup.  Subclasses may want to rehash all objects or something"
SystemDictionary wordSize: self wordSize.! !
=====

Now, there are some tests which does not pass.
So, I will publish the code and the pharoImage64, and with the community, we can check this.

Cheers,
Jannik

On Dec 17, 2009, at 02:32 , John M McIntosh wrote:

Ok, well I created Mantis
to document.

Personally I would do
Smalltalk wordSize
versus
SystemDictionary wordSize

Also the issue is when to change the WordSize variable.

I think in
SmalltalkImage>>snapshot: andQuit: embedded:
right at the
ifTrue: [self quitPrimitive].
Cursor normal show.
you want to set things so that wordSize is reset.

At quit time you could do the reset before the
"self quitPrimitive"
then you know the value is reset and needs to be recalculated at startup time.
or you can reset it before the
Cursor normal show.
which runs after startup time

Somehow I think there is more risk resetting it after startup since I'm not sure
when something could leap in wanting a valid value.

On 2009-12-16, at 2:44 PM, Laval Jannik wrote:

Hi Eliot, hi John,

This is what I do:
- create a class var in SystemDictionary
- accessors (wordSize and wordSize:), the first one can initialize the variable if nil, the second is to modify the value in case of 64bits image.
Maybe the second one could be integrated in System-Tracing file.
- in CompiledMethod, initialPC use it.

Maybe we could integrate it in pharoCore.

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

12