[squeak-dev] Browsers slow in 3.9? Don't use rounded window corners.

[squeak-dev] Browsers slow in 3.9? Don't use rounded window corners.

Matthias Berth-2
Hello,

several people have observed slow browser behavior in version 3.9, in
particular that browsers get slower the more of them you open [1].
Benchmarks showed that things were faster in 3.8 [2]. Jerome Peace
narrowed it down to 3.9 alpha, between 6684 and 6686. I have seen the
slowdownn disappear when switching off rounded window corners in my
3.9.1 dev image, see [1] for details.

So for now, if you want faster screen updates with multipe browsres
open, do not use rounded window corners:

  Preferences disable: #roundedWindowCorners.
thanks to everyone who helped with this.

[1] Mantis issue 0002084: Each overlaping browser slows down screen
updates considerably
    http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=2084
[2] Thread "3.9 Browser speed" started by Andreas Raab,
    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.general/108359

[squeak-dev] Re: Browsers slow in 3.9? Don't use rounded window corners.

Matthias Berth-2
I get another factor of 2 speedup when using TrueType fonts in Browsers with:

Installer mantis bug: 6089 fix:'TTFSpeedUp-dgd.2.cs'.

Now browser speed with truetype fonts is comparable to speed with
bitmapped fonts.

The Mantis issue  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6089 says this
improvement will be in 3.10, might be a good idea to have it included
in the next dev image based on 3.9.1 as well :-)

Cheers

Matthias

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 1:28 PM, Matthias Berth
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  several people have observed slow browser behavior in version 3.9, in
>  particular that browsers get slower the more of them you open [1].
>  Benchmarks showed that things were faster in 3.8 [2]. Jerome Peace
>  narrowed it down to 3.9 alpha, between 6684 and 6686. I have seen the
>  slowdownn disappear when switching off rounded window corners in my
>  3.9.1 dev image, see [1] for details.
>
>  So for now, if you want faster screen updates with multipe browsres
>  open, do not use rounded window corners:
>
>   Preferences disable: #roundedWindowCorners.
>  thanks to everyone who helped with this.
>

>  [1] Mantis issue 0002084: Each overlaping browser slows down screen
>  updates considerably
>     http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=2084
>  [2] Thread "3.9 Browser speed" started by Andreas Raab,
>     http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.general/108359

Re: [squeak-dev] Browsers slow in 3.9? Don't use rounded window corners.

stephane ducasse
If I recall there was also a problem with font caching.

stef

On May 2, 2008, at 1:28 PM, Matthias Berth wrote:

> Hello,
>
> several people have observed slow browser behavior in version 3.9, in
> particular that browsers get slower the more of them you open [1].
> Benchmarks showed that things were faster in 3.8 [2]. Jerome Peace
> narrowed it down to 3.9 alpha, between 6684 and 6686. I have seen the
> slowdownn disappear when switching off rounded window corners in my
> 3.9.1 dev image, see [1] for details.
>
> So for now, if you want faster screen updates with multipe browsres
> open, do not use rounded window corners:
>
>  Preferences disable: #roundedWindowCorners.
> thanks to everyone who helped with this.
>

> [1] Mantis issue 0002084: Each overlaping browser slows down screen
> updates considerably
>    http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=2084
> [2] Thread "3.9 Browser speed" started by Andreas Raab,
>    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.general/108359

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Browsers slow in 3.9? Don't use rounded window corners.

stephane ducasse

On May 2, 2008, at 3:21 PM, Matthias Berth wrote:

> I get another factor of 2 speedup when using TrueType fonts in
> Browsers with:
>
> Installer mantis bug: 6089 fix:'TTFSpeedUp-dgd.2.cs'.
>
> Now browser speed with truetype fonts is comparable to speed with
> bitmapped fonts.
>
> The Mantis issue  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6089 says this
> improvement will be in 3.10, might be a good idea to have it included
> in the next dev image based on 3.9.1 as well :-)

Yes I tried but because there is always a but in squeak.
The wonderful pops that are used when MC loads a package use the
fonts...
so it broke and I gave up because not the time to find how to stop the
pop up behavior.
Popup menu and the like are a real plague....

Stef

> Cheers
>
> Matthias
>
> On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 1:28 PM, Matthias Berth
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> several people have observed slow browser behavior in version 3.9, in
>> particular that browsers get slower the more of them you open [1].
>> Benchmarks showed that things were faster in 3.8 [2]. Jerome Peace
>> narrowed it down to 3.9 alpha, between 6684 and 6686. I have seen the
>> slowdownn disappear when switching off rounded window corners in my
>> 3.9.1 dev image, see [1] for details.
>>
>> So for now, if you want faster screen updates with multipe browsres
>> open, do not use rounded window corners:
>>
>>  Preferences disable: #roundedWindowCorners.
>> thanks to everyone who helped with this.
>>

>> [1] Mantis issue 0002084: Each overlaping browser slows down screen
>> updates considerably
>>    http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=2084
>> [2] Thread "3.9 Browser speed" started by Andreas Raab,
>>    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.general/108359

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Browsers slow in 3.9? Don't use rounded window corners.

Matthias Berth-2
I see, so it is another case of the system stepping on its own feet
when updating? I guess using the change set was not an option because
you want everything based on Monticello? I haven't followed all the
discussions around releases, so I'm just guessing.

Would an option for monticello, like "load the next package silently"
or "load the next package with the most primitive progress information
(i.e. no popups)" help in situations like this?

Cheers

Matthias

On May 3, 2008, at 8:24 AM, Matthias Berth wrote:

> I see, so it is another case of the system stepping on its own feet
> when updating? I guess using the change set was not an option because
> you want everything based on Monticello? I haven't followed all the
> discussions around releases, so I'm just guessing.

Yes this was that.
I like to eat our own dog food because this is the only way to really
push it to the limits.

> Would an option for monticello, like "load the next package silently"
> or "load the next package with the most primitive progress information
> (i.e. no popups)" help in situations like this?

Yes (atomic loading would be good too) but yes!
I wanted to have a look at that but was flooded by work.
If you have that feature I would love to use it.

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Browsers slow in 3.9? Don't use rounded window corners.

Matthias Berth-2
Which version of Monticello should I use / patch if I wanted to
implement loading without popups? The one I find in the 3.9.1 dev
image?

Cheers

Matthias

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 5:58 PM, stephane ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>  On May 3, 2008, at 8:24 AM, Matthias Berth wrote:
>

> > I see, so it is another case of the system stepping on its own feet
> > when updating? I guess using the change set was not an option because
> > you want everything based on Monticello? I haven't followed all the
> > discussions around releases, so I'm just guessing.
> >

>  Yes this was that.
>  I like to eat our own dog food because this is the only way to really
>  push it to the limits.
>

> > Would an option for monticello, like "load the next package silently"
> > or "load the next package with the most primitive progress information
> > (i.e. no popups)" help in situations like this?
> >

>  Yes (atomic loading would be good too) but yes!
>  I wanted to have a look at that but was flooded by work.
>  If you have that feature I would love to use it.
>  Stef

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Browsers slow in 3.9? Don't use rounded window corners.

Karl-19
Matthias Berth wrote:
> Which version of Monticello should I use / patch if I wanted to
> implement loading without popups? The one I find in the 3.9.1 dev
> image?
>
> Cheers

Gary Chambers posted this to the UI list a while back:

Unfortunately MC 1.0 having non-atomic loading and a progress bar tends to
interfere...

A workaround is to temporarily modify MCPackageLoader>>basic load to this:

basicLoad
        errorDefinitions := OrderedCollection new.
        [[additions do: [:ea | self tryToLoad: ea].
        removals do: [:ea | ea unload] displayingProgress: 'Cleaning up...'.
        self shouldWarnAboutErrors ifTrue: [self warnAboutErrors].
        errorDefinitions do: [:ea | ea loadOver: (self obsoletionFor: ea)]
displayingProgress: 'Reloading...'.
        additions do: [:ea | ea postloadOver: (self obsoletionFor: ea)]
displayingProgress: 'Initializing...']
                on: InMidstOfFileinNotification
                do: [:n | n resume: true]]
                        ensure: [self flushChangesFile]

Then revert the version after Widgets is loaded.

Karl

> Matthias
>

> On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 5:58 PM, stephane ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  On May 3, 2008, at 8:24 AM, Matthias Berth wrote:
>>

>>> I see, so it is another case of the system stepping on its own feet
>>> when updating? I guess using the change set was not an option because
>>> you want everything based on Monticello? I haven't followed all the
>>> discussions around releases, so I'm just guessing.
>>>

>>  Yes this was that.
>>  I like to eat our own dog food because this is the only way to really
>>  push it to the limits.
>>

>>> Would an option for monticello, like "load the next package silently"
>>> or "load the next package with the most primitive progress information
>>> (i.e. no popups)" help in situations like this?
>>>

>>  Yes (atomic loading would be good too) but yes!
>>  I wanted to have a look at that but was flooded by work.
>>  If you have that feature I would love to use it.
>>  Stef

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Browsers slow in 3.9? Don't use rounded window corners.

Matthias Berth-2
I think I have seen the same problem (loading TTFSpeedUp-dgd.2.cs
fails because the progress is open.). I think the problem can be
avoided by doing

        Installer mantis bug: 6089 fix:'TTFSpeedUp-dgd.2.cs'.
        World doOneCycleNow.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

>  On May 2, 2008, at 3:21 PM, Matthias Berth wrote:
>

> > I get another factor of 2 speedup when using TrueType fonts in Browsers
> with:
> >
> > Installer mantis bug: 6089 fix:'TTFSpeedUp-dgd.2.cs'.
> >
> > Now browser speed with truetype fonts is comparable to speed with
> > bitmapped fonts.
> >
> > The Mantis issue  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6089 says this
> > improvement will be in 3.10, might be a good idea to have it included
> > in the next dev image based on 3.9.1 as well :-)
> >

>  Yes I tried but because there is always a but in squeak.
>  The wonderful pops that are used when MC loads a package use the fonts...
>  so it broke and I gave up because not the time to find how to stop the pop
> up behavior.
>  Popup menu and the like are a real plague....
>
>  Stef
>

> > Cheers
> >
> > Matthias
> >
> > On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 1:28 PM, Matthias Berth
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > several people have observed slow browser behavior in version 3.9, in
> > > particular that browsers get slower the more of them you open [1].
> > > Benchmarks showed that things were faster in 3.8 [2]. Jerome Peace
> > > narrowed it down to 3.9 alpha, between 6684 and 6686. I have seen the
> > > slowdownn disappear when switching off rounded window corners in my
> > > 3.9.1 dev image, see [1] for details.
> > >
> > > So for now, if you want faster screen updates with multipe browsres
> > > open, do not use rounded window corners:
> > >
> > >  Preferences disable: #roundedWindowCorners.
> > > thanks to everyone who helped with this.
> > >

> > > [1] Mantis issue 0002084: Each overlaping browser slows down screen
> > > updates considerably
> > >   http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=2084
> > > [2] Thread "3.9 Browser speed" started by Andreas Raab,
> > >
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.general/108359

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Browsers slow in 3.9? Don't use rounded window corners.

stephane ducasse

> Which version of Monticello should I use / patch if I wanted to
> implement loading without popups? The one I find in the 3.9.1 dev
> image

Yes

Stef