[squeak-dev] Deprecation policy

Ken Causey-3
I would like to suggest that we develop a formal deprecation policy.  It
could be as simple as deprecate in one release, remove in the next.  I
just think we need to be consistent about it and remove no individual
methods without following it.  How this relates to the idea of
repackaging and removing whole categories of classes, I'm not so sure.

Ken

Re: [squeak-dev] Deprecation policy

Ken Causey-3
On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 16:41 -0500, Ken Causey wrote:
> I would like to suggest that we develop a formal deprecation policy.  It
> could be as simple as deprecate in one release, remove in the next.  I
> just think we need to be consistent about it and remove no individual
> methods without following it.  How this relates to the idea of
> repackaging and removing whole categories of classes, I'm not so sure.
>
> Ken

Jecel (on IRC) has reminded me that this is nothing new and is basically
the policy that was used starting with 3.8.

Edgar:  Did you or Ralph remove any methods marked as deprecated prior
to 3.10?  I'm thinking not since there is a package 39Deprecated still
in 3.10.2 and a number of other callers of #deprecated: .

In addition to an overall policy we need a policy on keeping track of
deprecations.  Perhaps it should be standard that the deprecation error
message clearly states the release in which the deprecation occurred.
Or we could continue to follow the example of 3.9.

Ken

Re: [squeak-dev] Deprecation policy

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Ken,

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Ken Causey <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would like to suggest that we develop a formal deprecation policy.  It
could be as simple as deprecate in one release, remove in the next.  I
just think we need to be consistent about it and remove no individual
methods without following it.  How this relates to the idea of
repackaging and removing whole categories of classes, I'm not so sure.

It would be good to add a date, version and selector Deprecation as in

    self deprecated: 'use Foo>>mumble' on: '2009/6/3' in: 'Croquet1.0beta'

Move the preference check into Deprecation defaultAction.  This would allow logging to collect a set of selectors used in a particular run, e.g.
    deprecations := Deprecation deprecationsWhile: [self runMyTests]

as in the attached

Ken

Deprecation.st (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [squeak-dev] Deprecation policy

Igor Stasenko
2009/7/4 Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Ken,
>
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Ken Causey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I would like to suggest that we develop a formal deprecation policy.  It
>> could be as simple as deprecate in one release, remove in the next.  I
>> just think we need to be consistent about it and remove no individual
>> methods without following it.  How this relates to the idea of
>> repackaging and removing whole categories of classes, I'm not so sure.
>
> It would be good to add a date, version and selector Deprecation as in
>     self deprecated: 'use Foo>>mumble' on: '2009/6/3' in: 'Croquet1.0beta'
> Move the preference check into Deprecation defaultAction.  This would allow
> logging to collect a set of selectors used in a particular run, e.g.
>     deprecations := Deprecation deprecationsWhile: [self runMyTests]
> as in the attached

+1

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Deprecation policy

Ken Causey-3
Self-correction: Deprecation policy dates by at least to 3.6 as
evidenced by an email from Doug Way in 2004 and a swiki page he created

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3940

I'm currently leaning towards Eliot's solution and am evaluating it.  If
anyone has any concerns or preferences I would like to hear them.

Oh, and yes, I realize that I asked about deprecation and barely 24
hours later removed entire classes without any deprecation.  Evaluating
this now is part of my intention to address that.

Ken