[squeak-dev] Does Squeak have...

Daniel P Zepeda

... an implementation of Textile, like Ruby's Redcloth?
... some implementation like Ruby's 'Mechanize' library?

Thanks!

DZ

[squeak-dev] Re: Does Squeak have...

Klaus D. Witzel
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 07:25:55 +0200, Daniel P Zepeda wrote:

> ... an implementation of Textile, like Ruby's Redcloth?

Have a look at Pier,

- http://www.piercms.com/doc/syntax

it's written in Smalltalk/Squeak and you can adapt it to any syntax you
like.

> ... some implementation like Ruby's 'Mechanize' library?

Interesting, why would one use 'Mechanize', except for running a http-Spam
bot ? ;)

> Thanks!
>
> DZ

/Klaus

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Does Squeak have...

Randal L. Schwartz

>> ... some implementation like Ruby's 'Mechanize' library?

Klaus> Interesting, why would one use 'Mechanize', except for running a http-Spam
Klaus> bot ? ;)

If Ruby's Mechanize is like Perl's WWW::Mechanize (my guess), then the primary
use is to test web sites from the HTTP level, a very legitimate usage.

google "randal schwartz perl mechanize" for a couple of columns
I did on that.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: [SPAM] Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Does Squeak have...

Daniel P Zepeda

On Jul 26, 2009, at 11:16 AM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

>>> ... some implementation like Ruby's 'Mechanize' library?
>
> Klaus> Interesting, why would one use 'Mechanize', except for
> running a http-Spam
> Klaus> bot ? ;)
>
> If Ruby's Mechanize is like Perl's WWW::Mechanize (my guess), then
> the primary
> use is to test web sites from the HTTP level, a very legitimate usage.

There are lots of things you can do with it besides spamming. Testing
is one, as Randal pointed out. Logging into a different service for
aggregation, think mint.com or any number of services that aggregate
your social networking sites. Doing mashups, like any number of
datasets + google maps. Or, in the corporation, scraping that pesky
legacy system that isn't going to be replaced anytime soon. I've also
used it to put a skin over a site with a really, I mean really, crappy
interface for a friend.

> google "randal schwartz perl mechanize" for a couple of columns
> I did on that.

Thanks! Ruby's Mechanize is very much like Perl's Mechanize. I'll
check it out.

DZ

Re: [SPAM] [squeak-dev] Re: Does Squeak have...

Daniel P Zepeda

On Jul 26, 2009, at 3:26 AM, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 07:25:55 +0200, Daniel P Zepeda wrote:
>

>> ... an implementation of Textile, like Ruby's Redcloth?
>
> Have a look at Pier,

Yes, this is actually what I was trying to get away from. I like Pier,
it would suit the needs of some of my users well, but I shudder to
have to teach them yet another markup language. It was painful enough
to get them to accept Textile. If there was a Textile implementation
in Smalltalk, then I was hoping to just add that to Pier. I don't mind
porting a Textile implementation to Smalltalk, I was just trying to
avoid duplication of effort.

Thanks!

DZ

Re: [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Does Squeak have...

Daniel P Zepeda

> On Jul 26, 2009, at 11:16 AM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
>>
>> google "randal schwartz perl mechanize" for a couple of columns
>> I did on that.
>
> Thanks! Ruby's Mechanize is very much like Perl's Mechanize. I'll
> check it out.

So I did. Unless I'm missing something, this doesn't answer my
question. I'm well aware of Perl's Mechanize (BTW, I didn't realize
until I googled that you are _the_ Randal Schwartz of Perl fame) , I
was asking if there were something similar in Smalltalk.

DZ

Re: [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Does Squeak have...

Randal L. Schwartz

Daniel> So I did. Unless I'm missing something, this doesn't answer my
Daniel> question.

Sorry, I was answering "what is mechanize" not "is there a mechanize for
Smalltalk".

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion