[squeak-dev] Etoys documentation in Spanish

[squeak-dev] Etoys documentation in Spanish

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
  Hello,

  I came back from an OLPC event held in Cambridge, MA and saw a lot
of people from Latin America countries.  Uruguay and Peru are
officially deploying hundreds of thousands of XO laptops, and other
countries are trying to do similar or smaller scale pilot test.  The
"vibe" (as Alan wrote) or the feeling of "making progress" was very
strong.

  During the event, I was asked a lot of times about documentation in
Spanish.  I know there are bunch of documentation done in Spanish (in
Latin America and in Spain), but I couldn't point out many of them by
myself.  I merely managed to point to the translation of the Powerful
Ideas book but that was it.

  I think it would be nice to have a place to share these
documentations, and have a single location to look at.  Let us say if
we have a good "documentation and curriculum" section on
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys/lang-es, and people who have done
documentations in Spanish add theirs to it, that would be nice.

  If you think it is a good idea, please start the section on the wiki
and add the documentations?  I will later check the page and let the
people who are doing deployment and contents making in these countries
know about it.

  Thank you!

-- Yoshiki

[squeak-dev] Re: Etoys documentation in Spanish

SergeStinckwich
Yoshiki Ohshima a écrit :

>   Hello,
>
>   I came back from an OLPC event held in Cambridge, MA and saw a lot
> of people from Latin America countries.  Uruguay and Peru are
> officially deploying hundreds of thousands of XO laptops, and other
> countries are trying to do similar or smaller scale pilot test.  The
> "vibe" (as Alan wrote) or the feeling of "making progress" was very
> strong.
>
>   During the event, I was asked a lot of times about documentation in
> Spanish.  I know there are bunch of documentation done in Spanish (in
> Latin America and in Spain), but I couldn't point out many of them by
> myself.  I merely managed to point to the translation of the Powerful
> Ideas book but that was it.

There is a spanish book : "Programando con Smalltalk", by Diego Gómez
Deck. Unfortunatly no english translation :-(

http://wiki.gnulinex.org/LibroProgramacionSmalltalk/10

Re: [squeak-dev] Etoys documentation in Spanish

garduino
The swiki of the now dead SmallLand project (also started by Diego GD)
is (fortunately) online yet at: http://swiki.agro.uba.ar/small_land.

We've done a lot of work in such project, may be now be useful to some people.

Cheers.

--
Germán S. Arduino
http://www.arsol.biz

2008/5/25 Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]>:

>  Hello,
>
>  I came back from an OLPC event held in Cambridge, MA and saw a lot
> of people from Latin America countries.  Uruguay and Peru are
> officially deploying hundreds of thousands of XO laptops, and other
> countries are trying to do similar or smaller scale pilot test.  The
> "vibe" (as Alan wrote) or the feeling of "making progress" was very
> strong.
>
>  During the event, I was asked a lot of times about documentation in
> Spanish.  I know there are bunch of documentation done in Spanish (in
> Latin America and in Spain), but I couldn't point out many of them by
> myself.  I merely managed to point to the translation of the Powerful
> Ideas book but that was it.
>
>  I think it would be nice to have a place to share these
> documentations, and have a single location to look at.  Let us say if
> we have a good "documentation and curriculum" section on
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys/lang-es, and people who have done
> documentations in Spanish add theirs to it, that would be nice.
>
>  If you think it is a good idea, please start the section on the wiki
> and add the documentations?  I will later check the page and let the
> people who are doing deployment and contents making in these countries
> know about it.
>
>  Thank you!
>
> -- Yoshiki

Re: [squeak-dev] Etoys documentation in Spanish

José Luis Redrejo
From Spain, the best Squeak access point is http://squeak.educarex.es
There you can find documentation, tutorials, example projects and links to the rest of the documentation in spanish.
Cheers

2008/5/26 Germán Arduino <[hidden email]>:
The swiki of the now dead SmallLand project (also started by Diego GD)
is (fortunately) online yet at: http://swiki.agro.uba.ar/small_land.

We've done a lot of work in such project, may be now be useful to some people.

Cheers.

--
Germán S. Arduino
http://www.arsol.biz
http://www.arsol.net

2008/5/25 Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]>:
>  Hello,
>
>  I came back from an OLPC event held in Cambridge, MA and saw a lot
> of people from Latin America countries.  Uruguay and Peru are
> officially deploying hundreds of thousands of XO laptops, and other
> countries are trying to do similar or smaller scale pilot test.  The
> "vibe" (as Alan wrote) or the feeling of "making progress" was very
> strong.
>
>  During the event, I was asked a lot of times about documentation in
> Spanish.  I know there are bunch of documentation done in Spanish (in
> Latin America and in Spain), but I couldn't point out many of them by
> myself.  I merely managed to point to the translation of the Powerful
> Ideas book but that was it.
>
>  I think it would be nice to have a place to share these
> documentations, and have a single location to look at.  Let us say if
> we have a good "documentation and curriculum" section on
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys/lang-es, and people who have done
> documentations in Spanish add theirs to it, that would be nice.
>
>  If you think it is a good idea, please start the section on the wiki
> and add the documentations?  I will later check the page and let the
> people who are doing deployment and contents making in these countries
> know about it.
>
>  Thank you!
>
> -- Yoshiki

[squeak-dev] Re: [Squeakland] Etoys documentation in Spanish

stéphane ducasse-2
Excellent.
I really hope that these kids will really learned a lot!
For BotsInc I'm aware of a private spanish translation. I'm still
trying to negociate to get the
rights for the book.
For squeakbyexample, I do not know the status of the translation.

Stef

On May 26, 2008, at 3:12 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

>  Hello,
>
>  I came back from an OLPC event held in Cambridge, MA and saw a lot
> of people from Latin America countries.  Uruguay and Peru are
> officially deploying hundreds of thousands of XO laptops, and other
> countries are trying to do similar or smaller scale pilot test.  The
> "vibe" (as Alan wrote) or the feeling of "making progress" was very
> strong.
>
>  During the event, I was asked a lot of times about documentation in
> Spanish.  I know there are bunch of documentation done in Spanish (in
> Latin America and in Spain), but I couldn't point out many of them by
> myself.  I merely managed to point to the translation of the Powerful
> Ideas book but that was it.
>
>  I think it would be nice to have a place to share these
> documentations, and have a single location to look at.  Let us say if
> we have a good "documentation and curriculum" section on
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys/lang-es, and people who have done
> documentations in Spanish add theirs to it, that would be nice.
>
>  If you think it is a good idea, please start the section on the wiki
> and add the documentations?  I will later check the page and let the
> people who are doing deployment and contents making in these countries
> know about it.
>
>  Thank you!
>
> -- Yoshiki

[squeak-dev] Re: [Squeakland] Etoys documentation in Spanish

Kim Rose-2
Yoshiki,

There is an excellent list of books in Spanish on the "Squeakoplis
site" here:  (Perhaps this is the same place you found the "Powerful
Ideas" book, though?)

http://squeak.educarex.es/Squeakpolis/38

  -- Kim

On May 25, 2008, at 6:12 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

>   Hello,
>
>   I came back from an OLPC event held in Cambridge, MA and saw a lot
> of people from Latin America countries.  Uruguay and Peru are
> officially deploying hundreds of thousands of XO laptops, and other
> countries are trying to do similar or smaller scale pilot test.  The
> "vibe" (as Alan wrote) or the feeling of "making progress" was very
> strong.
>
>   During the event, I was asked a lot of times about documentation in
> Spanish.  I know there are bunch of documentation done in Spanish (in
> Latin America and in Spain), but I couldn't point out many of them by
> myself.  I merely managed to point to the translation of the Powerful
> Ideas book but that was it.
>
>   I think it would be nice to have a place to share these
> documentations, and have a single location to look at.  Let us say if
> we have a good "documentation and curriculum" section on
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys/lang-es, and people who have done
> documentations in Spanish add theirs to it, that would be nice.
>
>   If you think it is a good idea, please start the section on the wiki
> and add the documentations?  I will later check the page and let the
> people who are doing deployment and contents making in these countries
> know about it.
>
>   Thank you!
>
> -- Yoshiki

[squeak-dev] Re: [Squeakland] Etoys documentation in Spanish

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
  Thank you for the information.

  I edited the English page (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys) and made
a section for Spanish documentation.  Please add more, and update the
Spanish page as well!  (There should be tons of more Etoys related
documentation.  Or, perhaps linking to the presentations done at past
SqueakFests might be good.)

-- Yoshiki

Yoshiki Ohshima a écrit :
>   Thank you for the information.
>
>   I edited the English page (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys) and made
> a section for Spanish documentation.  Please add more, and update the
> Spanish page as well!  (There should be tons of more Etoys related
> documentation.  Or, perhaps linking to the presentations done at past
> SqueakFests might be good.)

I add also a section about french documentation.

--
Serge Stinckwich
http://blog.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Squeakland] Etoys documentation in Spanish

Victor Rodriguez-5
On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Kim Rose <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yoshiki,
>
> There is an excellent list of books in Spanish on the "Squeakoplis site"
> here:  (Perhaps this is the same place you found the "Powerful Ideas" book,
> though?)
>
> http://squeak.educarex.es/Squeakpolis/38

Unfortunately many of the links on that page are to small-land.org,
which now belongs to cybersquatters.  Hopefully the material is still
available somewhere...

Saludos,

Victor Rodriguez.

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 10:13 AM, stéphane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For squeakbyexample, I do not know the status of the translation.

Is there an ongoing effort to translate SBE to Spanish?

Victor.

> Stef
>
> On May 26, 2008, at 3:12 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
>
>>  Hello,
>>
>>  I came back from an OLPC event held in Cambridge, MA and saw a lot
>> of people from Latin America countries.  Uruguay and Peru are
>> officially deploying hundreds of thousands of XO laptops, and other
>> countries are trying to do similar or smaller scale pilot test.  The
>> "vibe" (as Alan wrote) or the feeling of "making progress" was very
>> strong.
>>
>>  During the event, I was asked a lot of times about documentation in
>> Spanish.  I know there are bunch of documentation done in Spanish (in
>> Latin America and in Spain), but I couldn't point out many of them by
>> myself.  I merely managed to point to the translation of the Powerful
>> Ideas book but that was it.
>>
>>  I think it would be nice to have a place to share these
>> documentations, and have a single location to look at.  Let us say if
>> we have a good "documentation and curriculum" section on
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys/lang-es, and people who have done
>> documentations in Spanish add theirs to it, that would be nice.
>>
>>  If you think it is a good idea, please start the section on the wiki
>> and add the documentations?  I will later check the page and let the
>> people who are doing deployment and contents making in these countries
>> know about it.
>>
>>  Thank you!
>>
>> -- Yoshiki

[squeak-dev] Re: [Etoys] [Squeakland] Etoys documentation in Spanish

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas
Hi all,

stéphane ducasse escribió:
> Excellent.
> I really hope that these kids will really learned a lot!
> For BotsInc I'm aware of a private spanish translation. I'm still
> trying to negociate to get the
> rights for the book.

Please, tell us when you get it back. I'm using your book with my
students, but having a free/open version would be very helpful.

> For squeakbyexample, I do not know the status of the translation.

We have finished the first chapter and preamble, but until mid-year
vacations will not be much advances. I will keep you posted in this
Spanish Squeak related pages in our FLOSS community wiki:

 * http://www.el-directorio.org/SqueakMedianteEjemplos  <-- For Squeak
By Example translation related info.
 * http://www.el-directorio.org/Squeak <-- An intro to Squeak.
 * http://www.el-directorio.org/Squeak/Enlaces <-- Links with
information about Squeak (education, programming, GUI, etc)
 * http://www.el-directorio.org/CategorySqueak <-- List all the pages in
the Squeak category: people, blogs, related projects: plopp, croquet and
so on.

I really hope to have more of the translation in the first days of July.

Cheers,

Offray

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Squeakland] Etoys documentation in Spanish

garduino
As I commented in my previous mail, the domain small-land don't exist
anymore, but the content is already on line.

2008/5/27 Victor Rodriguez <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Kim Rose <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Yoshiki,
>>
>> There is an excellent list of books in Spanish on the "Squeakoplis site"
>> here:  (Perhaps this is the same place you found the "Powerful Ideas" book,
>> though?)
>>
>> http://squeak.educarex.es/Squeakpolis/38
>
> Unfortunately many of the links on that page are to small-land.org,
> which now belongs to cybersquatters.  Hopefully the material is still
> available somewhere...
>
> Saludos,
>
> Victor Rodriguez.
>

>>  -- Kim
>>

>> On May 25, 2008, at 6:12 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
>>
>>>  Hello,
>>>
>>>  I came back from an OLPC event held in Cambridge, MA and saw a lot
>>> of people from Latin America countries.  Uruguay and Peru are
>>> officially deploying hundreds of thousands of XO laptops, and other
>>> countries are trying to do similar or smaller scale pilot test.  The
>>> "vibe" (as Alan wrote) or the feeling of "making progress" was very
>>> strong.
>>>
>>>  During the event, I was asked a lot of times about documentation in
>>> Spanish.  I know there are bunch of documentation done in Spanish (in
>>> Latin America and in Spain), but I couldn't point out many of them by
>>> myself.  I merely managed to point to the translation of the Powerful
>>> Ideas book but that was it.
>>>
>>>  I think it would be nice to have a place to share these
>>> documentations, and have a single location to look at.  Let us say if
>>> we have a good "documentation and curriculum" section on
>>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys/lang-es, and people who have done
>>> documentations in Spanish add theirs to it, that would be nice.
>>>
>>>  If you think it is a good idea, please start the section on the wiki
>>> and add the documentations?  I will later check the page and let the
>>> people who are doing deployment and contents making in these countries
>>> know about it.
>>>
>>>  Thank you!
>>>
>>> -- Yoshiki

Germán S. Arduino
http://www.arsol.biz
http://www.arsol.net

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Squeakland] Etoys documentation in Spanish

Giuseppe
Could be great.

I thinked aboyt this, but my time is limited now.

I could help with some pages.

Cheers.

On Tue, 27 May 2008 09:54:03 -0400
"Victor Rodriguez" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 10:13 AM, stéphane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > For squeakbyexample, I do not know the status of the translation.
>
> Is there an ongoing effort to translate SBE to Spanish?
>
> Victor.
>
> > Stef
> >
> > On May 26, 2008, at 3:12 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
> >
> >>  Hello,
> >>
> >>  I came back from an OLPC event held in Cambridge, MA and saw a lot
> >> of people from Latin America countries.  Uruguay and Peru are
> >> officially deploying hundreds of thousands of XO laptops, and other
> >> countries are trying to do similar or smaller scale pilot test.  The
> >> "vibe" (as Alan wrote) or the feeling of "making progress" was very
> >> strong.
> >>
> >>  During the event, I was asked a lot of times about documentation in
> >> Spanish.  I know there are bunch of documentation done in Spanish (in
> >> Latin America and in Spain), but I couldn't point out many of them by
> >> myself.  I merely managed to point to the translation of the Powerful
> >> Ideas book but that was it.
> >>
> >>  I think it would be nice to have a place to share these
> >> documentations, and have a single location to look at.  Let us say if
> >> we have a good "documentation and curriculum" section on
> >> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys/lang-es, and people who have done
> >> documentations in Spanish add theirs to it, that would be nice.
> >>
> >>  If you think it is a good idea, please start the section on the wiki
> >> and add the documentations?  I will later check the page and let the
> >> people who are doing deployment and contents making in these countries
> >> know about it.
> >>
> >>  Thank you!
> >>
> >> -- Yoshiki

Giuseppe Luigi Punzi <[hidden email]>
<http://www.lordzealon.com>

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Squeakland] Etoys documentation in Spanish

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
At Mon, 26 May 2008 23:08:31 +0200,
Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> Yoshiki Ohshima a écrit :
> >   Thank you for the information.
> >
> >   I edited the English page (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys) and made
> > a section for Spanish documentation.  Please add more, and update the
> > Spanish page as well!  (There should be tons of more Etoys related
> > documentation.  Or, perhaps linking to the presentations done at past
> > SqueakFests might be good.)
> >

> I add also a section about french documentation.

  That is good.  Senegal, some other African countries, and for some
extent Haiti will benefit from it.

-- Yoshiki

[squeak-dev] Re: [Etoys] [Squeakland] Etoys documentation in Spanish

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
>  * http://www.el-directorio.org/SqueakMedianteEjemplos  <-- For Squeak
> By Example translation related info.
>  * http://www.el-directorio.org/Squeak <-- An intro to Squeak.
>  * http://www.el-directorio.org/Squeak/Enlaces <-- Links with
> information about Squeak (education, programming, GUI, etc)
>  * http://www.el-directorio.org/CategorySqueak <-- List all the pages in
> the Squeak category: people, blogs, related projects: plopp, croquet and
> so on.

  Offray, would you mind to add them to the wiki page?  I wouldn't be
able to quite elaborate on the page which page is which.

  The name change (from mixture of "Squeak", "Etoys" in various
capitalization, "Squeak Etoys", "SqueakToys", etc. to "Etoys")
probably has been confusing the readers of existing documents a lot.
Especially when some document on "Squeak" is really on "Squeak
Smalltalk".  I put short explanation on the wiki but should be largely
expanded...

-- Yoshiki