[squeak-dev] FFI and FreeTypePlus problem?

[squeak-dev] FFI and FreeTypePlus problem?

Torsten Bergmann
I already created a bug report for this, Andreas
may be able to tell you more:

   http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6980

As a workaround you can can use FFI-Kernel-ar6.mcz
instead of FFI-Kernel-ar-8.mcz.

Bye
Torsten

[squeak-dev] Re: FFI and FreeTypePlus problem?

Andreas.Raab
Yeah, I had forgotten about the problem. The issue comes from a call to
Smalltalk>>recreateSpecialObjectsArray (which is required for the FFI to
work correctly) and which accidentally nukes the external semaphore
table. The fix is simple: Replace the following line in
SystemDictionary>>recreateSpecialObjectsArray

        newArray at: 39 put: Array new.

by
        "Preserve external semaphores when recreating splObjs"
        newArray at: 39 put: (self specialObjectsArray at: 39).

Also, saving and restarting the image after loading the FFI is good
temporary workaround for this problem.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> I already created a bug report for this, Andreas
> may be able to tell you more:
>
>    http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6980
>
> As a workaround you can can use FFI-Kernel-ar6.mcz
> instead of FFI-Kernel-ar-8.mcz.
>
> Bye
> Torsten

RE: [squeak-dev] Re: FFI and FreeTypePlus problem?

Sebastian Sastre-2
Hi Andreas,

        I was about to write to you because I suspected of the semaphores.
Thanks for the workarround I'll try it as soon as I can. A curios fact is it
wont happen in an ubuntu (32bits).

        thanks again I will provide feedback of my win32 experience,

        cheers

Sebastian Sastre

Sebastian Sastre wrote:
> I was about to write to you because I suspected of the semaphores.
> Thanks for the workarround I'll try it as soon as I can. A curios fact is it
> wont happen in an ubuntu (32bits).

There are many variations in which the problem will not show (for
example, when it comes from the cache instead from the net, or if code
is invoked in the middle which resets the network, or if the previous
lookup went to the same host, or if there is DNS failure in the middle
etc). The way to make it happen reliably is like this:

   NetNameResolver addressForName: 'www.squeak.org'.
   Smalltalk recreateSpecialObjectsArray.
   NetNameResolver addressForName: 'ftp.squeak.org'.

Without the fix to recreateSpecialObjectsArray, this should fail, no
matter where.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

> thanks again I will provide feedback of my win32 experience,
>
> cheers
>
> Sebastian Sastre

Hi Andreas, I was able to finally make my 3dot10 nicely with the patch,

        thanks,

Sebastian

[squeak-dev] Date for Squeak BoF at OOPSLA?

Sam Adams-2

Dave Ungar and I are planning to attend the Squeak BoF and demo our current multicore VM work.
Does anyone have an idea what day it will be?
Regards,
Sam

Sam S. Adams, IBM Distinguished Engineer, IBM Research
Asst: Brenda Robinson, tie 444-1497, outside 919-254-1497
Mobile: 919-696-6064, email: [hidden email]
<<Hebrews 11:6, Proverbs 3:5-6, Romans 1:16-17, I Corinthians 1:10>>

Re: [squeak-dev] Date for Squeak BoF at OOPSLA?

stephane ducasse
Hi sam

can you tell us more (some of us like me will not attend OOPSLA).
 From which VM did you started?

setf
On Sep 10, 2008, at 2:04 AM, Sam Adams wrote:

> Dave Ungar and I are planning to attend the Squeak BoF and demo our
> current multicore VM work.
> Does anyone have an idea what day it will be?
> Regards,
> Sam
>

> Sam S. Adams, IBM Distinguished Engineer, IBM Research
> Asst: Brenda Robinson, tie 444-1497, outside 919-254-1497
> Mobile: 919-696-6064, email: [hidden email]
> <<Hebrews 11:6, Proverbs 3:5-6, Romans 1:16-17, I Corinthians 1:10>>

Re: [squeak-dev] Date for Squeak BoF at OOPSLA?

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Sam Adams wrote:

> Dave Ungar and I are planning to attend the Squeak BoF and demo our current multicore VM work.

Wow, that is great to know!

> Does anyone have an idea what day it will be?

I was discussing this with Göran. Traditionally the date gets decided on
only in the week before the event, but I am trying to include a detour
to Nashville in a trip I will be taking and would really need to know
this now.

Fortunately there is another tradition that in the end almost always the
date that gets picked is Tuesday night, so for now I am supposing that
this will be the case for this year as well. Wednesday and Thursday
include official events at night and so aren't a good option. Monday
includes two interesting events all day (the Lisp 50th anniversary
celebration and the "Smalltalk Superpowers" workshop, unfortunately they
are simultaneous) but all official activities end at 5pm.

-- Jecel

Re: [squeak-dev] Date for Squeak BoF at OOPSLA?

Ken Causey-3
Declaring Tuesday Night as Squeak BOF time is fine with me.  Anyone for
whom that is a problem should speak up sooner than later.

By the way I can more or less claim to be a local for this event (I live
about an hour away) so if anyone needs some sort of assistance (I don't
have a van but can manage a certain amount of airport/taxi duty perhaps)
let me know.

Ken

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 15:00 -0300, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:

> Sam Adams wrote:
>
> > Dave Ungar and I are planning to attend the Squeak BoF and demo our current multicore VM work.
>
> Wow, that is great to know!
>
> > Does anyone have an idea what day it will be?
>
> I was discussing this with Göran. Traditionally the date gets decided on
> only in the week before the event, but I am trying to include a detour
> to Nashville in a trip I will be taking and would really need to know
> this now.
>
> Fortunately there is another tradition that in the end almost always the
> date that gets picked is Tuesday night, so for now I am supposing that
> this will be the case for this year as well. Wednesday and Thursday
> include official events at night and so aren't a good option. Monday
> includes two interesting events all day (the Lisp 50th anniversary
> celebration and the "Smalltalk Superpowers" workshop, unfortunately they
> are simultaneous) but all official activities end at 5pm.
>
> -- Jecel

Squeak OOPSLA-BOF at tuesday! (was Re: [squeak-dev] Date for Squeak BoF at OOPSLA?)

Göran Krampe
Howdy all!

Ken Causey wrote:
> Declaring Tuesday Night as Squeak BOF time is fine with me.  Anyone for
> whom that is a problem should speak up sooner than later.

So then it is DECIDED. :) I will bring my video recorder as usual and
later serve up the talks as torrents. Mmmm, aha, here is already a swiki
page for OOPSLA 2008, let people sign up who wants to present something:

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6080

Ken, do you have a projector you could bring? Just in case, see the wiki
page for info on how it went last year. :)

Remember the user/pass is "squeak/viewpoints".

regards, Göran

Re: Squeak OOPSLA-BOF at tuesday! (was Re: [squeak-dev] Date for Squeak BoF at OOPSLA?)

Ken Causey-3
On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 10:12 +0200, Göran Krampe wrote:

> Howdy all!
>
> Ken Causey wrote:
> > Declaring Tuesday Night as Squeak BOF time is fine with me.  Anyone for
> > whom that is a problem should speak up sooner than later.
>
> So then it is DECIDED. :) I will bring my video recorder as usual and
> later serve up the talks as torrents. Mmmm, aha, here is already a swiki
> page for OOPSLA 2008, let people sign up who wants to present something:
>
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6080
>
> Ken, do you have a projector you could bring? Just in case, see the wiki
> page for info on how it went last year. :)
Unfortunately I don't; I don't do presentations.  I could look into the
possiblity of renting own locally.

Ken

> Remember the user/pass is "squeak/viewpoints".
>
> regards, Göran

Re: Squeak OOPSLA-BOF at tuesday! (was Re: [squeak-dev] Date for Squeak BoF at OOPSLA?)

Clayton Cottingham-2
went to find out more info on the BoF

and the squeak.org site seems down

can anyone confirm this?

and/or post info on when and where the BOF will be

thanks!

� wrote:

> Howdy all!
>
> Ken Causey wrote:
>
>> Declaring Tuesday Night as Squeak BOF time is fine with me.  Anyone for
>> whom that is a problem should speak up sooner than later.
>>

> So then it is DECIDED. :) I will bring my video recorder as usual and
> later serve up the talks as torrents. Mmmm, aha, here is already a swiki
> page for OOPSLA 2008, let people sign up who wants to present something:
>
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6080
>
> Ken, do you have a projector you could bring? Just in case, see the wiki
> page for info on how it went last year. :)
>
> Remember the user/pass is "squeak/viewpoints".
>
> regards, G�ran

Re: Squeak OOPSLA-BOF at tuesday! (was Re: [squeak-dev] Date for Squeak BoF at OOPSLA?)

Tobias Pape

Am 2008-10-20 um 19:50 schrieb Clayton Cottingham:

> went to find out more info on the BoF
>
> and the squeak.org site seems down
>
> can anyone confirm this?

Affirmative.

And, for you information, list.squeakfoundation.org/squeakfoundation.org
had no DNS as well as squeak-dev/sqeuak-beginners were out of order
from at
least October 17th to October 21th.

Greets
        -Tobias