[squeak-dev] FW: [UI] Call to arms

Gary Chambers-4

-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email]
[mailto:[hidden email]]On Behalf Of Gary Chambers
Sent: 29 March 2008 9:50 PM
To: Squeak's User Interface
Subject: [UI] Call to arms

Right, I think we want to improve Squeak in terms of user interaction.
This may be far-ranging to start with. This is a call for discussion.

Where do we want to be with Squeak, anybody with an investment it the way it currently works is welcome.

We are looking at re-engineering the basics, the VM teams are welcome to add their 2 (cents, pennies, etc).

I think we envisage a framework (for want of a better word)  that is rather fundamental, upon which existing Morphic can live, along with opportunities for radical new ui frameworks.

Hands up, and we'll see who can form a team.

Gary.

Re: [squeak-dev] FW: [UI] Call to arms

Derek O'Connell-2
Count me in. Don't know exactly how I can contribute yet but this is
an area I am keen to be involved in. ATM I am trying to collect my
thoughts on an alternative UI for Nokia Internet Tablets that I call
"STack Fusion".

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 12:43 AM, Gary Chambers

> [...]

Cool, have an N810 myself :-)

Trygve
Gary,
Interesting!

I am working on an object oriented programming paradigm (as opposed to the class oriented programming of Simula, C++, Java and others).
The goal is readable code.
This work may or may not be relevant to what you have in mind.
A first shot at the programming paradigm is ready with its roles and classes and is documented, see
see this book chapter at http://folk.uio.no/trygver/2007/babyUML.pdf or my home page

A first read-only version of this IDE is emerging. I plan to demo it in Bergen at the end of the month.
A Role isA Trait enabling classless coding of the system interaction methods,
A role is represented in the code as a Pragma, so the Trait isn't quite stateless
I have not needed to change Morphic or any other fundamental feature)

I hope to have a first bleeding edge version of this IDE ready in the not too distant future so that you can play with it.

In haste
--Trygve

Sent: 29 March 2008 9:50 PM
To: Squeak's User Interface

Right, I think we want to improve Squeak in terms of user interaction.
This may be far-ranging to start with. This is a call for discussion.

Where do we want to be with Squeak, anybody with an investment it the way it currently works is welcome.

We are looking at re-engineering the basics, the VM teams are welcome to add their 2 (cents, pennies, etc).

I think we envisage a framework (for want of a better word)  that is rather fundamental, upon which existing Morphic can live, along with opportunities for radical new ui frameworks.

Hands up, and we'll see who can form a team.

Gary.

Trygve Reenskaug       mailto: [hidden email]

Morgedalsvn. 5A         http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver

N-0378 Oslo               Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27

Norway

Re: [squeak-dev] FW: [UI] Call to arms

garduino
Hi:

I'm wondering about the role of Tweak. I know ins't strictly an UI, but I'm interested in know what do you think about.

Cheers.