[squeak-dev] Fwd: Problem with fonts on Linux with compositing activated

[squeak-dev] Fwd: Problem with fonts on Linux with compositing activated

laurent laffont
Hi,

I've switched to KDE4 and played with composite rendering.  With last squeak dev images some fonts are not rendered: it seems to be interpreted as a transparent region by the composite manager (see screenshot). I've tested this on my two debian boxes.

This problem is not present in sq3.9.1-7075dev08.07.1 image, so I suppose it's due to NiceFont integration ?

Regards,
--
Laurent Laffont

--
Laurent Laffont <[hidden email]>

TEMIS
48, Avenue Jean Jaurès
74800 La Roche sur Foron
Tél. : 04 50 97 49 91
Fax : 04 50 97 49 94
http://www.temis-france.com

squeak_font_problem.jpg (65K) Download Attachment

Re: [squeak-dev] Fwd: Problem with fonts on Linux with compositing activated

Bert Freudenberg

Am 17.08.2008 um 11:29 schrieb laurent laffont:

> Hi,
>
> I've switched to KDE4 and played with composite rendering.  With
> last squeak dev images some fonts are not rendered: it seems to be
> interpreted as a transparent region by the composite manager (see
> screenshot). I've tested this on my two debian boxes.
>
> This problem is not present in sq3.9.1-7075dev08.07.1 image, so I
> suppose it's due to NiceFont integration ?

Maybe it occurs more often with nice fonts, but it actually is a
combined VM/image problem.

The VM prefers a 32 bit X visual (with alpha channel) over a 24 bit
one. If a compositing window manager is used, the alpha channel is
used for transparency, but the image generally does not care about the
alpha channel in its frame buffer.

The olpc branch in the SVN repository has a fix for that, see

http://tinyurl.com/6fhqmw

- Bert -

Re: [squeak-dev] Fwd: Problem with fonts on Linux with compositing activated

Ken Causey-3
On Sun, 2008-08-17 at 17:04 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Am 17.08.2008 um 11:29 schrieb laurent laffont:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've switched to KDE4 and played with composite rendering.  With
> > last squeak dev images some fonts are not rendered: it seems to be
> > interpreted as a transparent region by the composite manager (see
> > screenshot). I've tested this on my two debian boxes.
> >
> > This problem is not present in sq3.9.1-7075dev08.07.1 image, so I
> > suppose it's due to NiceFont integration ?
>

> Maybe it occurs more often with nice fonts, but it actually is a
> combined VM/image problem.
>
> The VM prefers a 32 bit X visual (with alpha channel) over a 24 bit
> one. If a compositing window manager is used, the alpha channel is
> used for transparency, but the image generally does not care about the
> alpha channel in its frame buffer.
Does that mean there is some core location(s) where the alpha channel
needs to be defaulting to full opacity but currently it is not?

Ken

Am 17.08.2008 um 17:56 schrieb Ken Causey:

> On Sun, 2008-08-17 at 17:04 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> Am 17.08.2008 um 11:29 schrieb laurent laffont:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've switched to KDE4 and played with composite rendering.  With
>>> last squeak dev images some fonts are not rendered: it seems to be
>>> interpreted as a transparent region by the composite manager (see
>>> screenshot). I've tested this on my two debian boxes.
>>>
>>> This problem is not present in sq3.9.1-7075dev08.07.1 image, so I
>>> suppose it's due to NiceFont integration ?
>>

>> Maybe it occurs more often with nice fonts, but it actually is a
>> combined VM/image problem.
>>
>> The VM prefers a 32 bit X visual (with alpha channel) over a 24 bit
>> one. If a compositing window manager is used, the alpha channel is
>> used for transparency, but the image generally does not care about
>> the
>> alpha channel in its frame buffer.
>
> Does that mean there is some core location(s) where the alpha channel
> needs to be defaulting to full opacity but currently it is not?

Yes, that is where the transparent areas are under a compositing
window manager. I also remember partly translucent menus in (old
versions of) Croquet, and having to fix the alpha channel after taking
a screenshot.

- Bert -

>> The olpc branch in the SVN repository has a fix for that, see
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6fhqmw
>>
>> - Bert -

Re: [squeak-dev] Fwd: Problem with fonts on Linux with compositing activated

laurent laffont

Maybe it occurs more often with nice fonts, but it actually is a combined VM/image problem.

The VM prefers a 32 bit X visual (with alpha channel) over a 24 bit one. If a compositing window manager is used, the alpha channel is used for transparency, but the image generally does not care about the alpha channel in its frame buffer.

The olpc branch in the SVN repository has a fix for that, see

http://tinyurl.com/6fhqmw

- Bert -

Thank you. Any chance to have this patch included soon in an official squeak release (as more people use compositing on linux) ?

--
Laurent Laffont

Re: [squeak-dev] Fwd: Problem with fonts on Linux with compositing activated

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi! I have the same problem here. I am using Ubuntu 8.04 with compiz and an ati video driver. With sq3.10.2-7179dev08.08.1.image it works perfect, but with sq3.9.1-7075web08.06.1.image I have this error.

I tried changing color depth to 16, 24 and 32, but it doesnt work.

Bert: Sorry but I didn't understand your comment. Is there a fix? How can I do it? Can someone help me?

many thanks,

mariano

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Damien Cassou-3
Hi,

I will remove NiceFonts in future squeak-dev until these problems are fixed.

--
Damien Cassou
Peter von der Ahé: «I'm beginning to see why Gilad wished us good

Re: [squeak-dev] Fwd: Problem with fonts on Linux with compositing activated

Mariano Martinez Peck
I am sorry. It happens to me in both distribution: dev and web.

Is there any way of "uninstalling" a package through Universe ? I mean, can I uninstall NiceFonts for example ?

thanks,

mariano

--
Damien Cassou
Peter von der Ahé: «I'm beginning to see why Gilad wished us good
luck». (http://blogs.sun.com/ahe/entry/override_snafu)

Re: [squeak-dev] Fwd: Problem with fonts on Linux with compositing activated

Damien Cassou-3
On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am sorry. It happens to me in both distribution: dev and web.

I will remove NiceFonts from the web images also.

> Is there any way of "uninstalling" a package through Universe ? I mean, can
> I uninstall NiceFonts for example ?

You can't uninstall it but you can use an older version of the image.
Download it from http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/?group_id=1299. For
example, you can download
http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/5299/sq3.9.1-7075dev08.07.1.zip.

--
Damien Cassou
Peter von der Ahé: «I'm beginning to see why Gilad wished us good
luck». (http://blogs.sun.com/ahe/entry/override_snafu)

Re: [squeak-dev] Fwd: Problem with fonts on Linux with compositing activated

Mariano Martinez Peck

> Is there any way of "uninstalling" a package through Universe ? I mean, can
> I uninstall NiceFonts for example ?

You can't uninstall it but you can use an older version of the image.
Download it from http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/?group_id=1299. For
example, you can download
http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/5299/sq3.9.1-7075dev08.07.1.zip.

Ok, thanks for the tip.

--
Damien Cassou
Peter von der Ahé: «I'm beginning to see why Gilad wished us good
luck». (http://blogs.sun.com/ahe/entry/override_snafu)

Re: [squeak-dev] Fwd: Problem with fonts on Linux with compositing activated

Adrian Lienhard

On Aug 18, 2008, at 09:20 , Damien Cassou wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am sorry. It happens to me in both distribution: dev and web.
>
> I will remove NiceFonts from the web images also.
>

>> Is there any way of "uninstalling" a package through Universe ? I
>> mean, can
>> I uninstall NiceFonts for example ?
>
> You can't uninstall it but you can use an older version of the image.

NiceFonts just import new strike fonts. So, you can just change the
font used.

Adrian

Am 18.08.2008 um 15:16 schrieb Adrian Lienhard:

> On Aug 18, 2008, at 09:20 , Damien Cassou wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I am sorry. It happens to me in both distribution: dev and web.
>>
>> I will remove NiceFonts from the web images also.
>>

>>> Is there any way of "uninstalling" a package through Universe ? I
>>> mean, can
>>> I uninstall NiceFonts for example ?
>>
>> You can't uninstall it but you can use an older version of the image.
>
> NiceFonts just import new strike fonts. So, you can just change the
> font used.

IIUC NiceFonts uses anti-aliased strike fonts, which uses another
bitblt rule than normal font rendering. Possibly that bitblt rule
clobbers the destination alpha channel? In any case, it is not the
only artifact so the VM fix is a catch-all workaround if you will.

- Bert -

Yes there is a fix, as I wrote:

> The olpc branch in the SVN repository has a fix for that, see
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6fhqmw

It involves (as usual under Linux) compiling your own Squeak VM:

$ svn co http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/olpc squeak-vm
$ cd squeak-vm/platforms/unix
$ make
$ sudo make install

... which installs in /usr/local

- Bert -

Am 18.08.2008 um 08:58 schrieb laurent laffont:

> Maybe it occurs more often with nice fonts, but it actually is a
> combined VM/image problem.
>
> The VM prefers a 32 bit X visual (with alpha channel) over a 24 bit
> one. If a compositing window manager is used, the alpha channel is
> used for transparency, but the image generally does not care about
> the alpha channel in its frame buffer.
>
> The olpc branch in the SVN repository has a fix for that, see
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6fhqmw
>
> - Bert -
>

> Thank you. Any chance to have this patch included soon in an
> official squeak release (as more people use compositing on linux) ?

Sure. We sync regularly with the trunk.

- Bert -

Re: [squeak-dev] Fwd: Problem with fonts on Linux with compositing activated

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Folks,

Please see the mail I've just sent, with subject: "Problems with
NiceFonts and composite window managers Re: [squeak-dev] Re:
[ANN][Squeak-dev Images] September 2008 versions".

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich