[squeak-dev] GStreamer progress

johnmci
I've mostly completed the GStreamer implementation for the OLPC and
for 32bit linux machines.

The Squeak source code exists on http://www.squeaksource.com/GStreamer.html
The C source code for the GStreamer plugin was committed to the OLPC
branch on http://www.squeakvm.org.

This software was not written for 64bit linux, but could of course be
adapted, I have no plans to do so.
This software was not written for Windows, anyone who wants to port,
feel free.

If you are using os-x you can install GStreamer (after much work) via
MacPorts.

The GStreamer Morphic player that is installed has an OLPC viewpoint,
16 bits and slow frame rate, but
it could be adapted for proper frame rates and enabled to adapt to
many more feeds from
so called BAD GStreamer plugins aka MP3 etc, and of course allow feeds
from the internet versus
assuming media exists only on the current file system.

Some work was done to enable squeak as a Gstreamer source for audio
and video but that requires
more work by someone who really wants that feature.

--
=
=

Re: [squeak-dev] GStreamer progress

Karl-19
John M McIntosh wrote:

> I've mostly completed the GStreamer implementation for the OLPC and
> for 32bit linux machines.
>
> The Squeak source code exists on
> http://www.squeaksource.com/GStreamer.html
> The C source code for the GStreamer plugin was committed to the OLPC
> branch on http://www.squeakvm.org.
>
> This software was not written for 64bit linux, but could of course be
> adapted, I have no plans to do so.
> This software was not written for Windows, anyone who wants to port,
> feel free.
>
> If you are using os-x you can install GStreamer (after much work) via
> MacPorts.
>
> The GStreamer Morphic player that is installed has an OLPC viewpoint,
> 16 bits and slow frame rate, but
> it could be adapted for proper frame rates and enabled to adapt to
> many more feeds from
> so called BAD GStreamer plugins aka MP3 etc, and of course allow feeds
> from the internet versus
> assuming media exists only on the current file system.
>
> Some work was done to enable squeak as a Gstreamer source for audio
> and video but that requires
> more work by someone who really wants that feature.

> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Cool.
Do you know when this gets pushed into the Etoys updates ?

Karl

Re: [squeak-dev] GStreamer progress

Takashi Yamamiya
Great!

I compiled current olpc branch and it seems to be fine on my fedora
7. But how to test the plugin from a squeak image? I have loaded
GStreamer-Base-JMM.28.mcz into etoys developer's image, but I couldn't
find example codes.

Cheers,
- Takashi

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 3:02 AM, John M McIntosh
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've mostly completed the GStreamer implementation for the OLPC and for 32bit linux machines.
>
> The Squeak source code exists on http://www.squeaksource.com/GStreamer.html
> The C source code for the GStreamer plugin was committed to the OLPC branch on http://www.squeakvm.org.
>
> This software was not written for 64bit linux, but could of course be adapted, I have no plans to do so.
> This software was not written for Windows, anyone who wants to port, feel free.
>
> If you are using os-x you can install GStreamer (after much work) via MacPorts.
>
> The GStreamer Morphic player that is installed has an OLPC viewpoint, 16 bits and slow frame rate, but
> it could be adapted for proper frame rates and enabled to adapt to many more feeds from
> so called BAD GStreamer plugins aka MP3 etc, and of course allow feeds from the internet versus
> assuming media exists only on the current file system.
>
> Some work was done to enable squeak as a Gstreamer source for audio and video but that requires
> more work by someone who really wants that feature.

> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: [squeak-dev] GStreamer progress

Bert Freudenberg
Load GStreamer-UI, too, open a file list, and select an ogg video file
to play.

- Bert -

On 02.04.2008, at 19:56, Takashi Yamamiya wrote:

> Great!
>
> I compiled current olpc branch and it seems to be fine on my fedora
> 7. But how to test the plugin from a squeak image? I have loaded
> GStreamer-Base-JMM.28.mcz into etoys developer's image, but I couldn't
> find example codes.
>
> Cheers,
> - Takashi
>
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 3:02 AM, John M McIntosh
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've mostly completed the GStreamer implementation for the OLPC and
>> for 32bit linux machines.
>>
>> The Squeak source code exists on http://www.squeaksource.com/GStreamer.html
>> The C source code for the GStreamer plugin was committed to the
>> OLPC branch on http://www.squeakvm.org.
>>
>> This software was not written for 64bit linux, but could of course
>> be adapted, I have no plans to do so.
>> This software was not written for Windows, anyone who wants to
>> port, feel free.
>>
>> If you are using os-x you can install GStreamer (after much work)
>> via MacPorts.
>>
>> The GStreamer Morphic player that is installed has an OLPC
>> viewpoint, 16 bits and slow frame rate, but
>> it could be adapted for proper frame rates and enabled to adapt to
>> many more feeds from
>> so called BAD GStreamer plugins aka MP3 etc, and of course allow
>> feeds from the internet versus
>> assuming media exists only on the current file system.
>>
>> Some work was done to enable squeak as a Gstreamer source for audio
>> and video but that requires
>> more work by someone who really wants that feature.
>>
>> --
>> =
>> =
>> =
>> =
>> =
>> =
>> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
>> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com
>> =
>> =
>> =
>> =
>> =
>> =

Re: [squeak-dev] GStreamer progress

johnmci
Lots of tests in

GStreamer-Tests

The *.ogg player doesn't expose the full features of the api.

In the tests we do:

a) copy ogg audio file from the internet to /tmp for testing
b) read ogg audio directly from the internet for playback
c) create an ogg audio/video clip using the ogg encoder inputting
video/audio.

Other things that could be done.

a) grabbing a png or video from the olpc camera.
b) recording audio/video from the olpc camera/mic and making an ogg
file.
c) having a more generic interface to let you stream ogg from
http://www.gutenberg.org/files

--
=
=
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
=
=
=

Re: [squeak-dev] GStreamer progress

Takashi Yamamiya
Thanks!

The result was:

35 run, 30 passes, 0 expected failures, 2 failures, 3 errors, 0 unexpected passes
failures:
        GStreamerTest>>#testHttpPlayBin
        GStreamerTest>>#testPlaySeek
errors:
        GStreamerTest>>#testPipeCheckPadHookupoggAudioNormalToSqueakAudioSink
        GStreamerTest>>#testPipeCheckPadHookupoggAudioNormalToSqueakAudioSinkSeek
        GStreamerTest>>#testPipeCheckPadHookupToSqueakAudioAndVideo)

I'll test ogg files later.

Cheers,
- Takashi

On Apr 2, 2008, at 3:49 PM, Takashi Yamamiya wrote:

> Thanks!
>
> The result was:
>
> 35 run, 30 passes, 0 expected failures, 2 failures, 3 errors, 0
> unexpected passes
> failures:
>       GStreamerTest>>#testHttpPlayBin

I don't believe playbin works on olpc.  See
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/4827 the issue of playing speex files
from http:

>       GStreamerTest>>#testPlaySeek

Not sure if this is a seek error, or we should be waiting a bit longer
for the state to change, I need to look into this.

Ok I added a new call in the plugin and rewrote how we look for the
last state-changed message.
You'll need to pickup the latest changes, then build a new plugin and
retest..

> errors:
>
> GStreamerTest>>#testPipeCheckPadHookupoggAudioNormalToSqueakAudioSink
>
> GStreamerTest
> >>#testPipeCheckPadHookupoggAudioNormalToSqueakAudioSinkSeek
>       GStreamerTest>>#testPipeCheckPadHookupToSqueakAudioAndVideo)

These were disable on purpose when I was trying to figure out why
playback to squeak video did not work.
Which was related to 16 bit versus 32 bit video.  We then migrated
from using GStreamer plugins
for squeak audio/video sinks to using the pipeline peeking via
fakesink and I've not re-tested.

But I have updated MC and re-enabled them. As I'm building a sugar
environment at the moment I can't confirm if they
work on the OLPC.

> I'll test ogg files later.
>
> Cheers,
> - Takashi
>
> John M McIntosh wrote:
>> Lots of tests in
>> GStreamer-Tests
>> The *.ogg player doesn't expose the full features of the api.
>> In the tests we do:
>> a) copy ogg audio file from the internet to /tmp for testing
>> b) read ogg audio directly from the internet for playback
>> c) create an ogg audio/video clip using the ogg encoder inputting
>> video/audio.
>> Other things that could be done.
>> a) grabbing a png or video from the olpc camera.
>> b) recording audio/video from the olpc camera/mic and making an ogg
>> file.
>> c) having a more generic interface to let you stream ogg from
>> http://www.gutenberg.org/files

--
=
=
=
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
=
=
=

Re: [squeak-dev] GStreamer progress

Joshua Gargus-2
Hi John,

In the interest of compatibility between various Squeak forks (Croquet
in particular), could I ask that you use ':=' instead of '_' for
assignment?  I can do it if you want.

Looks cool at a glance, I'll have a better idea once I fix the
assignments.

Cheers,
Josh

On Apr 2, 2008, at 3:02 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> I've mostly completed the GStreamer implementation for the OLPC and
> for 32bit linux machines.
>
> The Squeak source code exists on http://www.squeaksource.com/GStreamer.html
> The C source code for the GStreamer plugin was committed to the OLPC
> branch on http://www.squeakvm.org.
>
> This software was not written for 64bit linux, but could of course
> be adapted, I have no plans to do so.
> This software was not written for Windows, anyone who wants to port,
> feel free.
>
> If you are using os-x you can install GStreamer (after much work)
> via MacPorts.
>
> The GStreamer Morphic player that is installed has an OLPC
> viewpoint, 16 bits and slow frame rate, but
> it could be adapted for proper frame rates and enabled to adapt to
> many more feeds from
> so called BAD GStreamer plugins aka MP3 etc, and of course allow
> feeds from the internet versus
> assuming media exists only on the current file system.
>
> Some work was done to enable squeak as a Gstreamer source for audio
> and video but that requires
> more work by someone who really wants that feature.
>
> --
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://
> www.smalltalkconsulting.com
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =

Re: [squeak-dev] GStreamer progress

johnmci
I used := in all the code I wrote.
The UI/player code is based on the mpeg player code from the current
etoy development image and likely has the "_" you encountered.

On Apr 12, 2008, at 4:19 PM, Joshua Gargus wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> In the interest of compatibility between various Squeak forks
> (Croquet in particular), could I ask that you use ':=' instead of
> '_' for assignment?  I can do it if you want.
>
> Looks cool at a glance, I'll have a better idea once I fix the
> assignments.
>
> Cheers,
> Josh
>

> On Apr 2, 2008, at 3:02 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:
>
>> I've mostly completed the GStreamer implementation for the OLPC and
>> for 32bit linux machines.
>>
>> The Squeak source code exists on http://www.squeaksource.com/GStreamer.html
>> The C source code for the GStreamer plugin was committed to the
>> OLPC branch on http://www.squeakvm.org.
>>
>> This software was not written for 64bit linux, but could of course
>> be adapted, I have no plans to do so.
>> This software was not written for Windows, anyone who wants to
>> port, feel free.
>>
>> If you are using os-x you can install GStreamer (after much work)
>> via MacPorts.
>>
>> The GStreamer Morphic player that is installed has an OLPC
>> viewpoint, 16 bits and slow frame rate, but
>> it could be adapted for proper frame rates and enabled to adapt to
>> many more feeds from
>> so called BAD GStreamer plugins aka MP3 etc, and of course allow
>> feeds from the internet versus
>> assuming media exists only on the current file system.
>>
>> Some work was done to enable squeak as a Gstreamer source for audio
>> and video but that requires
>> more work by someone who really wants that feature.
>>
>> --
>> =
>> =
>> =