[squeak-dev] How to read PDF files?

Dan Ingalls
Is there code available in the Squeak universe for reading .PDF
files?  In particular I wish to read a multi-page file produced by a
text scanner -- ie probably compressed black-and-white images.

Thanks in advance

        - Dan

Re: [squeak-dev] How to read PDF files?

David T. Lewis
On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 05:16:39PM -0700, Daniel Ingalls wrote:
> Is there code available in the Squeak universe for reading .PDF
> files?  In particular I wish to read a multi-page file produced by a
> text scanner -- ie probably compressed black-and-white images.

There is an overview of PDF writers (not readers) for Seaside here:
  http://www.seaside.st/documentation/pdfs

The overview points to SPDF, a "low-level, not very complete smalltalk
library" here:
  http://map.squeak.org/package/d8fd5e1a-2bb7-4c99-a77e-f945dfce01eb

I am not aware of any PDF readers, so hopefully someone else can
point to something.

Dave

[squeak-dev] Re: How to read PDF files?

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Dan,

>Is there code available in the Squeak universe for reading .PDF
>files?  In particular I wish to read a multi-page file produced by a
>text scanner -- ie probably compressed black-and-white images.
>Thanks in advance
> - Dan

Recently, in a Smalltalk new group,

Alejandro Reimondo
aleReimondo at smalltalking dot net
http://www.aleReimondo.com

announced "a PDF Framework capable to parse PDF files and construct a fine
grained object model of text (also unicode), images, lineArt, fonts, colors
and other features of each element contained in a PDF document."

I believe this is a product for sale.

Lou
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon
mailto:[hidden email] http://www.Keystone-Software.com

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: How to read PDF files?

Franz Josef Konrad-2
In the same news group (comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin) you can find this
message from david at gorisek.com:

This is precisely what we have been doing in our on-line ERP at
http://www.e-racuni.com for the last 6 years.

For this purpose I have developed a PDF parser/generator in Smalltalk
which allows you to parse any PDF document so that you can add text
objects to it. Then you can also merge multiple PDF documents with various
forms together into a single document, and then finally you can
re-recreate PDF document and send it to the user over the web to be
printed using Adobe PDF or FoxIt Reader. If anybody is interested then
send me a private e-mail.

 > Interesting! What Smalltalk dialect?

The code is just manipulating strings and streams. So it should work
anywhere. We have it in production using Dolphin and VAST. The only
non-portable part is the ZLIB library interface but this is taken care by
our dialect abstraction layer.

---
Franz Josef

Louis LaBrunda schrieb:

> Hi Dan,
>

>> Is there code available in the Squeak universe for reading .PDF
>> files?  In particular I wish to read a multi-page file produced by a
>> text scanner -- ie probably compressed black-and-white images.
>> Thanks in advance
>> - Dan
>>

> Recently, in a Smalltalk new group,
>
> Alejandro Reimondo
> aleReimondo at smalltalking dot net
> http://www.aleReimondo.com
>
> announced "a PDF Framework capable to parse PDF files and construct a fine
> grained object model of text (also unicode), images, lineArt, fonts, colors
> and other features of each element contained in a PDF document."
>
> I believe this is a product for sale.
>
> Lou
> Louis LaBrunda
> Keystone Software Corp.
> SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon
> mailto:[hidden email] http://www.Keystone-Software.com

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: How to read PDF files?

Russell N Hyer
I've written some very general purpose scripts for this purpose. They
would allow you to modify and build certain pdfs.

2009/5/27, Franz Josef Konrad <[hidden email]>:

> In the same news group (comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin) you can find this
> message from david at gorisek.com:
>
> This is precisely what we have been doing in our on-line ERP at
> http://www.e-racuni.com for the last 6 years.
>
> For this purpose I have developed a PDF parser/generator in Smalltalk
> which allows you to parse any PDF document so that you can add text
> objects to it. Then you can also merge multiple PDF documents with various
> forms together into a single document, and then finally you can
> re-recreate PDF document and send it to the user over the web to be
> printed using Adobe PDF or FoxIt Reader. If anybody is interested then
> send me a private e-mail.

>  > Interesting! What Smalltalk dialect?
>
> The code is just manipulating strings and streams. So it should work
> anywhere. We have it in production using Dolphin and VAST. The only
> non-portable part is the ZLIB library interface but this is taken care by
> our dialect abstraction layer.
>
> ---
> Franz Josef
>

> Louis LaBrunda schrieb:
>> Hi Dan,
>>

>>> Is there code available in the Squeak universe for reading .PDF
>>> files?  In particular I wish to read a multi-page file produced by a
>>> text scanner -- ie probably compressed black-and-white images.
>>> Thanks in advance
>>> - Dan
>>>

>> Recently, in a Smalltalk new group,
>>
>> Alejandro Reimondo
>> aleReimondo at smalltalking dot net
>> http://www.aleReimondo.com
>>
>> announced "a PDF Framework capable to parse PDF files and construct a fine
>> grained object model of text (also unicode), images, lineArt, fonts,
>> colors
>> and other features of each element contained in a PDF document."
>>
>> I believe this is a product for sale.
>>
>> Lou
>> Louis LaBrunda
>> Keystone Software Corp.