[squeak-dev] Installing seaside in squeak trunk image

[squeak-dev] Installing seaside in squeak trunk image

Ricardo Moran
Hi, I just installed Seaside version 2.8.4.591 from Universe. It finished ok but when I tried to start the server with

WAKomEncoded startOn: 8080.

I got BlockClosure>>doesNotUnderstand: #newProcessWithBindings:

I searched a Seaside One click experience image (which is made with Pharo) and I found this method in *DynamicBindings category of BlockClosure. In order to make it work I simply filed out the whole category and loaded it in squeak. It seems to be working but I wanted to make sure I was doing it right. The thing is I want to show seaside to a friend that doesn't know anything about smalltalk so I don't want him to get frustrated with obscure bugs because of a bad installation. I suppose it would be best if I just give him the Seaside one click experience image but I really don't like Pharo.
Also, I would like to know what other package do you think I should install in order to make a good starting environment for him.
Thanks in advance.

[squeak-dev] Re: Installing seaside in squeak trunk image

Andreas.Raab
Hi Ricardo -

I have had better success with the up and coming 3.0 so you might give
that a shot. In order to install Seaside3 into a trunk image do this:

"Update all the way from the trunk"
Utilities updateFromServer.

"Install the shiny new OB 2.0.3 release"
Installer installUrl:
'http://www.wiresong.ca/static/releases/OmniBrowser-2.0.3.sar'.

"Install Seaside 3.0"
(Installer squeaksource project: 'Seaside30')
     install: 'LoadOrderTest'.

I have done this successfully as recently as a couple of weeks ago. If
you find anything that doesn't work, let us know.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Ricardo Moran wrote:

> Hi, I just installed Seaside version 2.8.4.591 from Universe. It
> finished ok but when I tried to start the server with
>
> WAKomEncoded startOn: 8080.
>
> I got BlockClosure>>doesNotUnderstand: #newProcessWithBindings:
>
> I searched a Seaside One click experience image (which is made with
> Pharo) and I found this method in *DynamicBindings category of
> BlockClosure. In order to make it work I simply filed out the whole
> category and loaded it in squeak. It seems to be working but I wanted to
> make sure I was doing it right. The thing is I want to show seaside to a
> friend that doesn't know anything about smalltalk so I don't want him to
> get frustrated with obscure bugs because of a bad installation. I
> suppose it would be best if I just give him the Seaside one click
> experience image but I really don't like Pharo.
> Also, I would like to know what other package do you think I should
> install in order to make a good starting environment for him.
> Thanks in advance.

Re: [squeak-dev] Installing seaside in squeak trunk image

radoslav hodnicak

All you need is a recent version of the package DynamicBindings from
http://www.squeaksource.com/KomHttpServer.html

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Ricardo Moran wrote:

> Hi, I just installed Seaside version 2.8.4.591 from Universe. It finished ok
> but when I tried to start the server with
> WAKomEncoded startOn: 8080.
>
> I got BlockClosure>>doesNotUnderstand: #newProcessWithBindings:
>
> I searched a Seaside One click experience image (which is made with Pharo)
> and I found this method in *DynamicBindings category of BlockClosure. In
> order to make it work I simply filed out the whole category and loaded it in
> squeak. It seems to be working but I wanted to make sure I was doing it
> right. The thing is I want to show seaside to a friend that doesn't know
> anything about smalltalk so I don't want him to get frustrated with obscure
> bugs because of a bad installation. I suppose it would be best if I just
> give him the Seaside one click experience image but I really don't like
> Pharo.
> Also, I would like to know what other package do you think I should install
> in order to make a good starting environment for him.
> Thanks in advance.

Re: [squeak-dev] Installing seaside in squeak trunk image

Ricardo Moran
Andreas instructions worked fine, thank you all for your help.
I have a question, though. What should I use to install packages? Universe? Installer?