[squeak-dev] Metacello

123

[squeak-dev] Metacello

Bert Freudenberg
Just found this:

http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2009/08/25/metacello-package-management-for-monticello/

Have not looked deeply yet but sounds rather interesting ...

- Bert -

Re: [squeak-dev] Metacello

garduino
Yes, exactly.

We were talking about at SqueakRos.....Couldn't be applicable to the
Squeak itself release process?

Germán.

2009/9/2 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:

> Just found this:
>
> http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2009/08/25/metacello-package-management-for-monticello/
>
> Have not looked deeply yet but sounds rather interesting ...
>
> - Bert -

Re: [squeak-dev] Metacello

Janko Mivšek
Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>Just found this:
>
>http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2009/08/25/metacello-package-management-for-monticello/
>
>Have not looked deeply yet but sounds rather interesting

Yep, I talked with Dale from Gemstone about it in the
light of finally achieving the real "one-click"
installation of Smalltalk code and it seems Metacello is a
way to go.

More when I came back from ESUG.

Best regards
Janko

Re: [squeak-dev] Metacello

keith1y
Janko Mivsek wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>> Just found this:
>>
>> http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2009/08/25/metacello-package-management-for-monticello/
>>

>> Have not looked deeply yet but sounds rather interesting ...
>
> Yep, I talked with Dale from Gemstone about it in the light of finally
> achieving the real "one-click" installation of Smalltalk code and it
> seems Metacello is a way to go.
>
> More when I came back from ESUG.
>
> Best regards
> Janko
Sake/Packages is far more likely to be able to achieve this, and has
already done so.

Keith

Re: [squeak-dev] Metacello

Randal L. Schwartz

Keith> Sake/Packages is far more likely to be able to achieve this, and has
Keith> already done so.

And if it wasn't seen as the choice, it means you need to do a better job
promoting and documenting it, not just claiming it's better.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: [squeak-dev] Metacello

keith1y
Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Keith> Sake/Packages is far more likely to be able to achieve this, and has
> Keith> already done so.
>
> And if it wasn't seen as the choice, it means you need to do a better job
> promoting and documenting it, not just claiming it's better.

I do not believe the premise of your statement.

No amount of effort announcing, documenting, and promoting makes any
difference. I have made considerable efforts on all three over the past
3 years whereas in contrast Lukas does no announcing, documenting or
promoting, yet people use his stuff without a second thought.

I have attempted to show that the community needs to move forward using
plans, proposals, and documented developments, yet the chosen path
appears to be continuous hacking. If you want to understand something
read the code for yourself; this appears to be a good enough philosophy
for Avi, Andreas, and Lukas then it should be good enough for me.

basically I don't care anymore

Keith

Re: [squeak-dev] Metacello

Eliot Miranda-2

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 12:28 PM, Keith Hodges<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Keith> Sake/Packages is far more likely to be able to achieve this, and has
>> Keith> already done so.
>>
>> And if it wasn't seen as the choice, it means you need to do a better job
>> promoting and documenting it, not just claiming it's better.
>>
> I do not believe the premise of your statement.
>
> No amount of effort announcing, documenting, and promoting makes any
> difference. I have made considerable efforts on all three over the past
> 3 years whereas in contrast Lukas does no announcing, documenting or
> promoting, yet people use his stuff without a second thought.

Simply not true.  Google Lukas Renggli and you get
   http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/

Click on the Magritte link and you get overview, installation instructions, links to mailing lists, code repositories, instructions on how to report errors, a list of publications and a tutorial.

Google Keith Hodges and Bob the Builder and you get
    http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/release/2008-October/000036.html
which, when I read it, presumes I know an awful lot of context I have no clue how to create.  There's no overview, there's no pointer to code, there's no tutorial, no hand-hlding, juts a description of how you go about things once you understand how the whole thing works.  i.e. far too demanding for a noob like myself.  I'm simply not smart enough to figure out how to use your system form that description.

Magritte on the other hand looks like it could be worth some of my ever shorter in supply time to explore. (As does Pier, Scriptaculous and the rest of Lucas's thoughtfully presented projects).

> I have attempted to show that the community needs to move forward using
> plans, proposals, and documented developments, yet the chosen path
> appears to be continuous hacking. If you want to understand something
> read the code for yourself; this appears to be a good enough philosophy
> for Avi, Andreas, and Lukas then it should be good enough for me.
>
> basically I don't care anymore

If you really care you'll try and look at the process from an outsiders perspective and document the system assuming little more than familiarity with Squeak, and you'll document it on a web site (there are Squeak wikis you can use that you don't have to pay for) so that people can find it, read it and reference it.  You'll use the work of people like Lukas as an example of how to present your stuff.  You'll ask people to read draft versions, and improve your presentation based on the feedback you receive.  Then you might find your stuff starts being used and appreciated.

> Keith

Re: [squeak-dev] Metacello

Avi Bryant-2
On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 1:49 PM, Eliot Miranda<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> No amount of effort announcing, documenting, and promoting makes any
>> difference. I have made considerable efforts on all three over the past
>> 3 years whereas in contrast Lukas does no announcing, documenting or
>> promoting, yet people use his stuff without a second thought.
>
> Simply not true.  Google Lukas Renggli and you get
>    http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/
>
> Click on the Magritte link and you get overview, installation instructions,
> links to mailing lists, code repositories, instructions on how to report
> errors, a list of publications and a tutorial.

Indeed.  And the projects (there are many) that Lukas (or myself or
Andreas, who you also named) *doesn't* take the time to document and
promote tend not to get widely used or even known about.  A recent
favorite of mine is PetitParser: http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/petit/
.

Getting community adoption of an open source project is *hard*, and it
takes a lot of careful work and not a small amount of luck.  I've been
successful exactly twice, with Seaside and with Monticello.  But when,
eg, I announced a brand new Smalltalk system on the Seaside list last
week (http://clamato.net), the thread sank without a trace. Them's the
breaks.

Avi

Re: [squeak-dev] Metacello

Igor Stasenko
2009/9/2 Keith Hodges <[hidden email]>:

>> Keith> Sake/Packages is far more likely to be able to achieve this, and has
>> Keith> already done so.
>>
>> And if it wasn't seen as the choice, it means you need to do a better job
>> promoting and documenting it, not just claiming it's better.
>>
> I do not believe the premise of your statement.
>
> No amount of effort announcing, documenting, and promoting makes any
> difference. I have made considerable efforts on all three over the past
> 3 years whereas in contrast Lukas does no announcing, documenting or
> promoting, yet people use his stuff without a second thought.
>
> I have attempted to show that the community needs to move forward using
> plans, proposals, and documented developments, yet the chosen path
> appears to be continuous hacking. If you want to understand something
> read the code for yourself; this appears to be a good enough philosophy
> for Avi, Andreas, and Lukas then it should be good enough for me.
>
> basically I don't care anymore

but i do (still)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Metacello

Bert Freudenberg

On 02.09.2009, at 23:07, Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 1:49 PM, Eliot
> Miranda<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> No amount of effort announcing, documenting, and promoting makes any
>>> difference. I have made considerable efforts on all three over the
>>> past
>>> 3 years whereas in contrast Lukas does no announcing, documenting or
>>> promoting, yet people use his stuff without a second thought.
>>
>> Simply not true.  Google Lukas Renggli and you get
>>    http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/
>>
>> Click on the Magritte link and you get overview, installation
>> instructions,
>> links to mailing lists, code repositories, instructions on how to
>> report
>> errors, a list of publications and a tutorial.
>
> Indeed.  And the projects (there are many) that Lukas (or myself or
> Andreas, who you also named) *doesn't* take the time to document and
> promote tend not to get widely used or even known about.  A recent
> favorite of mine is PetitParser: http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/petit/
> .
>
> Getting community adoption of an open source project is *hard*, and it
> takes a lot of careful work and not a small amount of luck.  I've been
> successful exactly twice, with Seaside and with Monticello.  But when,
> eg, I announced a brand new Smalltalk system on the Seaside list last
> week (http://clamato.net), the thread sank without a trace. Them's the
> breaks.

Now if you hadn't tucked this away in "btw" remark here I'd have said
"Awesome!" and shown it to all my friends ;)

- Bert -

Re: [squeak-dev] Metacello

Randal L. Schwartz

Avi> Getting community adoption of an open source project is *hard*, and it
Avi> takes a lot of careful work and not a small amount of luck.  I've been
Avi> successful exactly twice, with Seaside and with Monticello.  But when,
Avi> eg, I announced a brand new Smalltalk system on the Seaside list last
Avi> week (http://clamato.net), the thread sank without a trace. Them's the
Avi> breaks.

Is there a link from clamato.net pointing to how to get it?

That might have helped. :)

(I can hear you saying "doh!" right about now.)

2009/9/2 Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>:

>> No amount of effort announcing, documenting, and promoting makes any
>> difference. I have made considerable efforts on all three over the past
>> 3 years whereas in contrast Lukas does no announcing, documenting or
>> promoting, yet people use his stuff without a second thought.
>
> Simply not true.  Google Lukas Renggli and you get
>    http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/
>
> Click on the Magritte link and you get overview, installation instructions,
> links to mailing lists, code repositories, instructions on how to report
> errors, a list of publications and a tutorial.
> Google Keith Hodges and Bob the Builder and you get
>
>  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/release/2008-October/000036.html
> which, when I read it, presumes I know an awful lot of context I have no
> clue how to create.  There's no overview, there's no pointer to code,
> there's no tutorial, no hand-hlding, juts a description of how you go about
> things once you understand how the whole thing works.  i.e. far too
> demanding for a noob like myself.  I'm simply not smart enough to figure out
> how to use your system form that description.
> Magritte on the other hand looks like it could be worth some of my ever
> shorter in supply time to explore. (As does Pier, Scriptaculous and the rest
> of Lucas's thoughtfully presented projects).

+1

Sorry Keith, I respect your work and the time you invested as the time
and work of any person contributing
with Squeak, but I'm in a similar situation of Eliot, never understood
the whole context of all your tools with
exception of Installer.

As all of us, my free time is very limited, but I try to be acquainted
of all the Squeak news, mainly the tools and
process to build "our" Squeak and think that we need a consensus prior
to adoption of tools and, afaik, I think that
such consensus don't exist yet.

Germán S. Arduino  <gsa @ arsol.net>   Twitter: garduino
Arduino Software & Web Hosting   http://www.arduinosoftware.com
PasswordsPro  http://www.passwordspro.com

[squeak-dev] Clamato

Bert Freudenberg

On 03.09.2009, at 00:53, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Avi> Getting community adoption of an open source project is *hard*,
> and it
> Avi> takes a lot of careful work and not a small amount of luck.
> I've been
> Avi> successful exactly twice, with Seaside and with Monticello.
> But when,
> Avi> eg, I announced a brand new Smalltalk system on the Seaside
> list last
> Avi> week (http://clamato.net), the thread sank without a trace.
> Them's the
> Avi> breaks.
>
> Is there a link from clamato.net pointing to how to get it?
>
> That might have helped. :)
>
> (I can hear you saying "doh!" right about now.)

You did not actually click the "get started" link?

And you did not notice it runs in your browser?

(I can hear you saying "doh!" right about now.)

- Bert -

Re: [squeak-dev] Clamato

Ian Trudel-2
2009/9/2 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:
> You did not actually click the "get started" link?
>
> And you did not notice it runs in your browser?
>
> (I can hear you saying "doh!" right about now.)
>
> - Bert -

His question sounded more like "I'd like to have Clamato and integrate
to my very own website." Rather than playing around on clamato.net.

Doesn't work on IE 7.0.5730.13 nor Opera 10. Works on Firefox 3.5.2.

Ian.
http://mecenia.blogspot.com/

Re: [squeak-dev] Clamato

Randal L. Schwartz

>> Is there a link from clamato.net pointing to how to get it?
>>
>> That might have helped. :)
>>
>> (I can hear you saying "doh!" right about now.)

Bert> You did not actually click the "get started" link?

Bert> And you did not notice it runs in your browser?

Bert> (I can hear you saying "doh!" right about now.)

Right.  But I wanted to *download* it.  I seem to recall some link
somewhere that pointed at the source, but I can't find it now.

Also keep in mind that clamato.net got a lot of Twitter buzz
recently.  If it's not there, it doesn't exist.

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Randal L. Schwartz<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Right.  But I wanted to *download* it.  I seem to recall some link
> somewhere that pointed at the source, but I can't find it now.

Well, if you just want the source, web browsers do have a File>Save
As...  remember, there's no server side code.

But you probably want the repository, which is here:
http://bitbucket.org/avibryant/clamato/

Avi

Re: [squeak-dev] Clamato

Avi Bryant-2
On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Ian Trudel<[hidden email]> wrote:

> His question sounded more like "I'd like to have Clamato and integrate
> to my very own website." Rather than playing around on clamato.net.
>
> Doesn't work on IE 7.0.5730.13 nor Opera 10.

Yeah - those should work as deployment platforms, but I'm not that
motivated to make them work as development platforms.

> Works on Firefox 3.5.2.

Good. Chrome and Safari are better.

Avi

Re: [squeak-dev] Metacello

Igor Stasenko
2009/9/2 Germán Arduino <[hidden email]>:

> 2009/9/2 Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>:
>>

>>> No amount of effort announcing, documenting, and promoting makes any
>>> difference. I have made considerable efforts on all three over the past
>>> 3 years whereas in contrast Lukas does no announcing, documenting or
>>> promoting, yet people use his stuff without a second thought.
>>
>> Simply not true.  Google Lukas Renggli and you get
>>    http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/
>>
>> Click on the Magritte link and you get overview, installation instructions,
>> links to mailing lists, code repositories, instructions on how to report
>> errors, a list of publications and a tutorial.
>> Google Keith Hodges and Bob the Builder and you get
>>
>>  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/release/2008-October/000036.html
>> which, when I read it, presumes I know an awful lot of context I have no
>> clue how to create.  There's no overview, there's no pointer to code,
>> there's no tutorial, no hand-hlding, juts a description of how you go about
>> things once you understand how the whole thing works.  i.e. far too
>> demanding for a noob like myself.  I'm simply not smart enough to figure out
>> how to use your system form that description.
>> Magritte on the other hand looks like it could be worth some of my ever
>> shorter in supply time to explore. (As does Pier, Scriptaculous and the rest
>> of Lucas's thoughtfully presented projects).
>>

> +1
>
> Sorry Keith, I respect your work and the time you invested as the time
> and work of any person contributing
> with Squeak, but I'm in a similar situation of Eliot, never understood
> the whole context of all your tools with
> exception of Installer.
>
> As all of us, my free time is very limited, but I try to be acquainted
> of all the Squeak news, mainly the tools and
> process to build "our" Squeak and think that we need a consensus prior
> to adoption of tools and, afaik, I think that
> such consensus don't exist yet.

(wearing my Board member hat)
so, any volunteers to help Keith to document & publicize the essence
from his tools?
(wearing off the hat)

:)

> Germán S. Arduino  <gsa @ arsol.net>   Twitter: garduino
> Arduino Software & Web Hosting   http://www.arduinosoftware.com
> PasswordsPro  http://www.passwordspro.com

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Clamato

Igor Stasenko
2009/9/2 Avi Bryant <[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Ian Trudel<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> His question sounded more like "I'd like to have Clamato and integrate
>> to my very own website." Rather than playing around on clamato.net.
>>
>> Doesn't work on IE 7.0.5730.13 nor Opera 10.
>
> Yeah - those should work as deployment platforms, but I'm not that
> motivated to make them work as development platforms.
>
>> Works on Firefox 3.5.2.
>
> Good. Chrome and Safari are better.

nah, Chrome is a bit behind FF in functionality available (try
rendering animated SVG's for instance)
can't say anything about Safari
And Firebug is a #1 tool for web-dev ;)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Clamato

Casey Ransberger
The other shoe drops! Has anyone tried running this on the same page
as the Lively Kernel?

--
Ron

123