[squeak-dev] New smalltalk website and Smalltalk activities in Barcelona

[squeak-dev] New smalltalk website and Smalltalk activities in Barcelona

jdelgado
Hi,

My name is Jordi Delgado and I am an associate professor at the Software
Dept. of the Technical University of Catalonia
(http://www.lsi.upc.edu/~jdelgado).
I have translated to Catalan prof. Ducasse's book on the Botsinc system
and I have been giving Botsinc and Smalltalk courses for almost a year now.
The Smalltalk course is now a free elective course in our undergraduate
Computer Science degree at the Barcelona School of Informatics.

You can find information on our activities in the new smalltalk site:

http://smalltalk.cat

though the *entire site* is in catalan, not english.
However, it is pretty easy to deduce what we are talking about. The main
purpose of the smalltalk.cat site is to keep in touch with the local
(small) smalltalk community.
The site is quite simple, but good enough for the purpose it was designed
for. It is powered by Pier 1.0 and Squeak.

We have a quarterly course on Smalltalk based on SBE (http://smalltalk.cat/poos)
at the Barcelona School of Informatics (http://www.fib.upc.edu), and also, for
free, at a living lab called Citilab (http://citilab.eu).
The Citilab course is open to everybody at no cost, only with the pre-requisite
of some programming experience. And the course is identical to the one given
in the university. Thus, here in Barcelona anyone can learn Smalltalk, it is free.

The slides I use in my lectures are mainly translations of the open-source SBE
course by Prof. Oscar Nierstrasz. I used Squeak to create them, mainly to impress
the students (but with a result clearly inferior to what you get with Powerpoint,
Keynote or Sophie). We also have a weekly seminar on Smalltalk with former students
of the course (see http://smalltalk.cat/gts).
BTW if any smalltalker comes to Barcelona and wants to get in touch with us, feel
free to contact us.

That's all, just to let you know we exist.

Bests,

Jordi

PS: I am sending this to several smalltalk lists. Please, accept my
apologies if you are receiving more than one copy of this message.

Re: [squeak-dev] New smalltalk website and Smalltalk activities in Barcelona

Giuseppe
I'll don't  understand never.

If you, translate to spanish instead Catalan (is the same work, and all
catalonians speaks spanish), all spanish and catalan speakers (spanish
information is small too) could benefit of this.

Anyway, congratulations for the initiative and the work to do it.

Un saludo.

Jordi Delgado escribió:

> Hi,
>
> My name is Jordi Delgado and I am an associate professor at the Software
> Dept. of the Technical University of Catalonia
> (http://www.lsi.upc.edu/~jdelgado).
> I have translated to Catalan prof. Ducasse's book on the Botsinc system
> and I have been giving Botsinc and Smalltalk courses for almost a year now.
> The Smalltalk course is now a free elective course in our undergraduate
> Computer Science degree at the Barcelona School of Informatics.
>
> You can find information on our activities in the new smalltalk site:
>
> http://smalltalk.cat
>
> though the *entire site* is in catalan, not english.
> However, it is pretty easy to deduce what we are talking about. The main
> purpose of the smalltalk.cat site is to keep in touch with the local
> (small) smalltalk community.
> The site is quite simple, but good enough for the purpose it was designed
> for. It is powered by Pier 1.0 and Squeak.
>
> We have a quarterly course on Smalltalk based on SBE (http://smalltalk.cat/poos)
> at the Barcelona School of Informatics (http://www.fib.upc.edu), and also, for
> free, at a living lab called Citilab (http://citilab.eu).
> The Citilab course is open to everybody at no cost, only with the pre-requisite
> of some programming experience. And the course is identical to the one given
> in the university. Thus, here in Barcelona anyone can learn Smalltalk, it is free.
>
> The slides I use in my lectures are mainly translations of the open-source SBE
> course by Prof. Oscar Nierstrasz. I used Squeak to create them, mainly to impress
> the students (but with a result clearly inferior to what you get with Powerpoint,
> Keynote or Sophie). We also have a weekly seminar on Smalltalk with former students
> of the course (see http://smalltalk.cat/gts).
> BTW if any smalltalker comes to Barcelona and wants to get in touch with us, feel
> free to contact us.
>
> That's all, just to let you know we exist.
>
> Bests,
>
> Jordi
>
> PS: I am sending this to several smalltalk lists. Please, accept my
> apologies if you are receiving more than one copy of this message.

Re: [squeak-dev] New smalltalk website and Smalltalk activities in Barcelona

hernan.wilkinson
Que tal Jordi,
 lamentablemente no se Catalán pero asumo que hablás castellano :-) por eso no te escribo en inglés.
 Te felicito por la iniciativa! muy bueno lo que están haciendo. Yo soy profesor de Objetos de la Universidad de Buenos Aires (Argentina) y enseñamos OO con Smalltalk desde hace mas de 13 años ya (aunque yo estoy desde hace 8 haciendolo). Lamentablemente la educación pública no tiene los suficientes recursos como para que invirtamos tiempo en hacer un buen sitio web, etc. pero cualquier cosa que quieras conversar, ideas que quieras compartir, etc. tenenos en cuenta. Espero algún día poder visitar Barcelona, ahora hay un motivo más!

 Un abrazo,
 Hernan.

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Jordi Delgado <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

[squeak-dev] A GLASS workshop in the US

Prof David West

I realize this is not very convenient for most of you, but at least you
will know that some of us in the US are still trying to promote
Smalltalk.

If anyone on the list is able to come, I can probably arrange to have
the fee waived for ESUG members only.
dave west

classAnnounceGLASS.doc (67K) Download Attachment

Re: [squeak-dev] A GLASS workshop in the US

Randal L. Schwartz

Prof> I realize this is not very convenient for most of you, but at least you
Prof> will know that some of us in the US are still trying to promote
Prof> Smalltalk.

I'd love for you to promote Smalltalk.  I am very confused that
you'd use a .doc (Word) file to do it.  Please don't do that again.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

[squeak-dev] Re: New smalltalk website and Smalltalk activities in Barcelona

ccrraaiigg

 > Que tal Jordi, lamentablemente no se Catalán pero asumo que hablás
 > castellano :-) por eso no te escribo en inglés.

      De hecho, en línea herramientas lingüísticas parecen ser lo
suficientemente bueno para una traducción aproximada. Idealmente, las
personas que escriben en otros idiomas podría aportar el original y las
versiones Inglés. Pero si tuviera que elegir, me gustaría obtener el
texto original y traducir yo mismo.

***

 > What's up, Jordi... unfortunately I don't speak Catalan, but I assume
 > you speak Spanish. :)  So I'm not writing to you in English.

      In fact, online language tools seem to be good enough for a rough
translation. Ideally, people who write in other languages could provide
both original and English versions. But if I had to choose, I'd take the
original text and translate it myself.

      I used [1] for the above (and they have Catalan, too!)

      más tarde, :)

-C

[1] http://www.google.com/language_tools

--