[squeak-dev] Porting Monticello

Udo Schneider
All,

I'm currently considering porting Monticello to Dolphin ... but where to
start? Which version is the "latest" one ... where is it hosted?

Does it make sense to stick with 1.x or directly proceed to 2.x?

Best Regards,

Udo

Re: [squeak-dev] Porting Monticello

Lukas Renggli
> I'm currently considering porting Monticello to Dolphin ... but where to
> start? Which version is the "latest" one ... where is it hosted?

Unfortunately Monticello 1 is not designed for portability, but
GemStone and recently also VisualWorks successfully ported Monticello
to their platform. I suggest that you ask them what was needed and how
they got started.

> Does it make sense to stick with 1.x or directly proceed to 2.x?

Monticello 1 has become pretty much of a standard in the Smalltalk
world. Monticello 2 has no users yet. It would certainly be easier to
port Monticello 2 as it has a separate platform layer.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [squeak-dev] Porting Monticello

Eliot Miranda-2

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 9:18 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm currently considering porting Monticello to Dolphin ... but where to
> start? Which version is the "latest" one ... where is it hosted?

I would also check out MC 1.5 & MC 1.6.  My understanding is that MC 1.5 has lots of bugs fixed and 1.6 supports atomic loading but both are compatible with the external format of MC 1.0.

Unfortunately Monticello 1 is not designed for portability, but
GemStone and recently also VisualWorks successfully ported Monticello
to their platform. I suggest that you ask them what was needed and how
they got started.

> Does it make sense to stick with 1.x or directly proceed to 2.x?

Monticello 1 has become pretty much of a standard in the Smalltalk
world. Monticello 2 has no users yet. It would certainly be easier to
port Monticello 2 as it has a separate platform layer.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [squeak-dev] Porting Monticello

marcelo Cortez

Udo, folks

I've start to port Monticello to Dolphin5 at 2004, but is unfinalized work.
comes to my mind a number of packages required for this

GZipConstants.cls
Monticello-Base.xml.pac
Monticello-Chunk Format.xml.pac
Monticello-Modeling.xml.pac
Monticello-Repositories.xml.pac
Monticello-Versioning.xml.pac
Network-Url.xml.pac
Network-UUID.xml.pac
SharedPool.cls
SqueakSupport.pac
System-Archives.xml.pac
System-Compression.xml.pac
ZipConstants.cls
ZipFileConstants.cls

and others.

i don't remember what version of monticello is.
SqueakSupport.pac is my "glue" package for Dolphin compatiblity.
at this time , i've port rosetta proyect
of Joseph Pelrine to Squeak to port many packages to Dolphin ,
VW other languages.
TestCase is very helpful.
I would be happy to help in this project in my spare time.
best

mdc

> I'm currently considering porting Monticello to Dolphin ...
> but where to start? Which version is the "latest" one ...
> where is it hosted?
>
> Does it make sense to stick with 1.x or directly proceed to
> 2.x?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Udo

¡Viví la mejor experiencia en la web!
Descargá gratis el nuevo Internet Explorer 8
http://downloads.yahoo.com/ieak8/?l=ar