[squeak-dev] [Q] BitTorrent Implementation in Squeak

[squeak-dev] [Q] BitTorrent Implementation in Squeak

Chun, Sungjin
Hi,

are there any reference implementation for BitTorrent in Squeak/Smalltalk?

Thanks in advance.

Re: [squeak-dev] [Q] BitTorrent Implementation in Squeak

Philippe Marschall
2009/4/8 "S.J.Chun" <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
> are there any reference implementation for BitTorrent in Squeak/Smalltalk?

Tracker or peer protocol or both?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: [squeak-dev] [Q] BitTorrent Implementation in Squeak

Chun, Sungjin
Peer protocol is for downloading? Maybe I need both...

On Apr 8, 2009, at 4:51 PM, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> 2009/4/8 "S.J.Chun" <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> are there any reference implementation for BitTorrent in Squeak/
>> Smalltalk?
>
> Tracker or peer protocol or both?
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Re: [squeak-dev] [Q] BitTorrent Implementation in Squeak

Markus Gälli-3
You might also want to check out Cees de Groot's "AardWorks gossip":
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5629
Seems to be a proprietary p2p implementation.

Cheers

Markus

Am 08.04.2009 um 12:47 schrieb karl ramberg:

> I think the Croquet Teatime implementation was inspired from
> BitTorrent
>
> Karl
>

> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Chun, Sungjin <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> Peer protocol is for downloading? Maybe I need both...
>

> On Apr 8, 2009, at 4:51 PM, Philippe Marschall wrote:
>
> 2009/4/8 "S.J.Chun" <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
> are there any reference implementation for BitTorrent in Squeak/
> Smalltalk?
>
> Tracker or peer protocol or both?
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Re: [squeak-dev] [Q] BitTorrent Implementation in Squeak

Joshua Gargus-2
karl ramberg wrote:
I think the Croquet Teatime implementation was inspired from BitTorrent

There's actually no relationship between them, other than both using "P2P networking" (and each means something different by the term).  BitTorrent is focused on getting everyone all the chunks of a file efficiently, but in no particular order.  Croquet aims to maintain identical replicas of a groups of objects with minimimal latency; it does this by ensuring that each peer receives an identical stream of messages.

A BitTorrent implementation could be used in Croquet to share large, immutable data chunks (such as meshes or textures) that don't need to be available at an exact time (just ASAP).

Cheers,
Josh

On 2009-04-08 18:07, Joshua Gargus wrote:
karl ramberg wrote:
I think the Croquet Teatime implementation was inspired from BitTorrent

There's actually no relationship between them, other than both using "P2P networking" (and each means something different by the term).  BitTorrent is focused on getting everyone all the chunks of a file efficiently, but in no particular order.  Croquet aims to maintain identical replicas of a groups of objects with minimimal latency; it does this by ensuring that each peer receives an identical stream of messages.

A BitTorrent implementation could be used in Croquet to share large, immutable data chunks (such as meshes or textures) that don't need to be available at an exact time (just ASAP).

Cheers,
Josh
But would Croquet work as a BitTorrent like system as_it_ is for any file/object in a space?
(Just asking for curiosity )

Karl

Karl Ramberg wrote:
On 2009-04-08 18:07, Joshua Gargus wrote:
karl ramberg wrote:
[...]

No.  You can put an object into a space for someone else to retrieve, but the behavior is FTP-like as much as it is BitTorrent-like (eg: you don't get different chunks of the data from different people).

2009/4/8 "S.J.Chun" <[hidden email]>:
Hi,

are there any reference implementation for BitTorrent in Squeak/Smalltalk?

Tracker or peer protocol or both?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: [squeak-dev] [Q] BitTorrent Implementation in Squeak

Chun, Sungjin
Thank you. I'm using this for P2P messaging(with hole punching) but I want to
transfer large sized files but it does not work well on this case...(maybe my lack of skill)