[squeak-dev] SVI and Vim

Mark Volkmann
I'd really like to be able to use vi keystrokes when editing code in
Squeak. Does anyone know if SVI (which is supposed to provide that
capability) is compatible with Squeak 3.10? I can't get it to work. I
just yellow-clicked the latest version of SVI in a SqueakMap Package
Loader and selected install. I don't think the install worked though
because it isn't yet marked as being compatible with Squeak 3.10.

---
Mark Volkmann

Re: [squeak-dev] SVI and Vim

K. K. Subramaniam
On Wednesday 01 Oct 2008 6:53:10 am Mark Volkmann wrote:
> I'd really like to be able to use vi keystrokes when editing code in
> Squeak.
Why? Just curious.

Most methods in Squeak are small and a vi-style editing would be an overkill.
If you have large text processing needs (like sorting, regex replacement
etc.), you can cut-n-paste between Squeak and your favorite editor on the
host OS.

Subbu

Re: [squeak-dev] SVI and Vim

Jason Rogers-4
vi-like editing is not just for large text processing.  If you are
used to vi's navigation style, for instance, you are probably much
quicker using h, j, k, l, w, f(N), d(N), y, p, etc. than CMD+Arrow (or
is it CTRL+Arrow, or wait maybe it's Alt+Arrow, ah nuts -- just reach
for the mouse).

The decision to use vi or not has nothing to do with the size of the
method.  It's a productivity choice -- and for me, it's mostly muscle
memory.

--
Jason Rogers

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live;
yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life
which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of
the Son of God, who loved me, and gave
himself for me."
    Galatians 2:20

Re: [squeak-dev] SVI and Vim

Tobias Pape
Hello —,
Am 2008-10-02 um 15:00 schrieb Jason Rogers:

> vi-like editing is not just for large text processing.  If you are
> used to vi's navigation style, for instance, you are probably much
> quicker using h, j, k, l, w, f(N), d(N), y, p, etc. than CMD+Arrow (or
> is it CTRL+Arrow, or wait maybe it's Alt+Arrow, ah nuts -- just reach
> for the mouse).
>
> The decision to use vi or not has nothing to do with the size of the
> method.  It's a productivity choice -- and for me, it's mostly muscle
> memory.

+1

And (with no intention to start a flame war) emacs keybindings would be
nice, either.
This is not only influenced by using Emacs, but also by the fact that my
major OSes support such keys by default in their editing environments
(i. e. Linux and Mac OS X).

so long,
        -Tobias

PGP.sig (201 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: [squeak-dev] SVI and Vim

Brian Rice

On Oct 3, 2008, at 5:49 PM, Tobias Pape wrote:

> Hello —,
> Am 2008-10-02 um 15:00 schrieb Jason Rogers:
>
>> vi-like editing is not just for large text processing.  If you are
>> used to vi's navigation style, for instance, you are probably much
>> quicker using h, j, k, l, w, f(N), d(N), y, p, etc. than CMD+Arrow
>> (or
>> is it CTRL+Arrow, or wait maybe it's Alt+Arrow, ah nuts -- just reach
>> for the mouse).
>>
>> The decision to use vi or not has nothing to do with the size of the
>> method.  It's a productivity choice -- and for me, it's mostly muscle
>> memory.
>
> +1
>
> And (with no intention to start a flame war) emacs keybindings would
> be
> nice, either.
> This is not only influenced by using Emacs, but also by the fact
> that my
> major OSes support such keys by default in their editing environments
> (i. e. Linux and Mac OS X).

SVI has an included set of emacs-style keybindings (set up via
instructions once installed).

--
http://BrianTRice.com

Re: [squeak-dev] SVI and Vim

Mark Volkmann
On Oct 3, 2008, at 8:59 PM, Brian Rice wrote:

> On Oct 3, 2008, at 5:49 PM, Tobias Pape wrote:
>
>> Hello —,
>> Am 2008-10-02 um 15:00 schrieb Jason Rogers:
>>
>>> vi-like editing is not just for large text processing.  If you are
>>> used to vi's navigation style, for instance, you are probably much
>>> quicker using h, j, k, l, w, f(N), d(N), y, p, etc. than CMD+Arrow
>>> (or
>>> is it CTRL+Arrow, or wait maybe it's Alt+Arrow, ah nuts -- just
>>> reach
>>> for the mouse).
>>>
>>> The decision to use vi or not has nothing to do with the size of the
>>> method.  It's a productivity choice -- and for me, it's mostly
>>> muscle
>>> memory.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> And (with no intention to start a flame war) emacs keybindings
>> would be
>> nice, either.
>> This is not only influenced by using Emacs, but also by the fact
>> that my
>> major OSes support such keys by default in their editing environments
>> (i. e. Linux and Mac OS X).
>
> SVI has an included set of emacs-style keybindings (set up via
> instructions once installed).

Can anyone confirm that they have gotten SVI to work with Squeak 3.10?

---
Mark Volkmann