[squeak-dev] Smalltalk customers

12

[squeak-dev] Smalltalk customers

Damien Cassou-3
Hi,

I would like to present Smalltalk to my colleagues because they all
think it's an old language of no interest which nobody uses. To prove
them they are false, I would like to build a list of companies who are
using Smalltalk every day. Can you please give me the names of your
companies if they are using Smalltalk?

Thank you very much

--
Damien Cassou
Peter von der Ahé: «I'm beginning to see why Gilad wished us good

Re: [squeak-dev] Smalltalk customers

Matthias Berth-2
Maybe you can also have a look at
http://stic.st/stic?content=successes and at
http://stic.st/demos/SmalltalkInIndustry.html

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 9:37 AM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to present Smalltalk to my colleagues because they all
> think it's an old language of no interest which nobody uses. To prove
> them they are false, I would like to build a list of companies who are
> using Smalltalk every day. Can you please give me the names of your
> companies if they are using Smalltalk?
>

> Thank you very much
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> Peter von der Ahé: «I'm beginning to see why Gilad wished us good
> luck». (http://blogs.sun.com/ahe/entry/override_snafu)

[squeak-dev] Re: Smalltalk customers

SergeStinckwich
Damien Cassou a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I would like to present Smalltalk to my colleagues because they all
> think it's an old language of no interest which nobody uses. To prove
> them they are false, I would like to build a list of companies who are
> using Smalltalk every day. Can you please give me the names of your
> companies if they are using Smalltalk?

Hi Damien, there is a list on new ESUG web site :

http://www.esug.org/Smaltalk/Companies

There is also a list on the french wiki :
http://community.ofset.org/index.php/Entreprises_utilisant_Smalltalk

Maybe these lists should be merged and consolidated.

--
Serge Stinckwich
http://blog.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [squeak-dev] Smalltalk customers

Janko Mivšek
Damien,

This page on ESUG website has quite complete list of companies
developing in Smalltlak:

        http://www.esug.org/Smaltalk/Companies

Do you mean also companies which use smalltalk products (and maybe even
don't know that:) ?

Best regards
Janko

Damien Cassou wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to present Smalltalk to my colleagues because they all
> think it's an old language of no interest which nobody uses. To prove
> them they are false, I would like to build a list of companies who are
> using Smalltalk every day. Can you please give me the names of your
> companies if they are using Smalltalk?
>

> Thank you very much

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [squeak-dev] Smalltalk customers

Damien Cassou-3
On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Matthias Berth
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Maybe you can also have a look at
> http://stic.st/stic?content=successes and at
> http://stic.st/demos/SmalltalkInIndustry.html

Thank you. How old is the demo on the second link?

--
Damien Cassou
Peter von der Ahé: «I'm beginning to see why Gilad wished us good
luck». (http://blogs.sun.com/ahe/entry/override_snafu)

Re: [squeak-dev] Smalltalk customers

Merik Voswinkel-2

On Jul 31, 2008, at 10:29 AM, Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Damien,
>
> This page on ESUG website has quite complete list of companies
> developing in Smalltlak:
>
> http://www.esug.org/Smaltalk/Companies
>
> Do you mean also companies which use smalltalk products (and maybe
> even don't know that:) ?

That list is very large, as more and more top websites uses Seaside.

Merik

Re: [squeak-dev] Smalltalk customers

Merik Voswinkel-2
Damien,

Auctomatic is seaside based.
The Hawthorn Center ( www.hawcenter.org) ) uses seaside.
Many universities and companies uses Croquet, ask Darius Clark, John Dougan or Julian Lombardi.
Rob Vens has a few more names I think; http://www.robvens.nl/lang-en/blog.

I have figures about the numbers of users worldwide I can digg up. Want me to do that?
I would be very interested to hear your results, and publish them if I may.

My profound thanks for the developer images, I could not imagine living without them anymore.

Merik Voswinkel

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Smalltalk customers

Damien Cassou-3
On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Serge Stinckwich
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Damien, there is a list on new ESUG web site :
>
> http://www.esug.org/Smaltalk/Companies
>
> There is also a list on the french wiki :
> http://community.ofset.org/index.php/Entreprises_utilisant_Smalltalk
>
> Maybe these lists should be merged and consolidated.

Thanks for the pointers. Once I finish my presentation, I could change
these wiki pages.

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Damien,
>
> This page on ESUG website has quite complete list of companies developing in
> Smalltlak:
>
>        http://www.esug.org/Smaltalk/Companies
>
> Do you mean also companies which use smalltalk products (and maybe even
> don't know that:) ?

Would be cool too I guess. I will separate the companies in different
categories.

--
Damien Cassou
Peter von der Ahé: «I'm beginning to see why Gilad wished us good
luck». (http://blogs.sun.com/ahe/entry/override_snafu)

Re: [squeak-dev] Smalltalk customers

John Richards

Hi Damien,

I can add that we're using Squeak at IBM Research for some exploratory projects.

John

"Damien Cassou" <[hidden email]>
Sent by: [hidden email]

07/31/08 03:37 AM

Please respond to
The general-purpose Squeak developers list        <[hidden email]>

"The general-purpose Squeak developers list" <[hidden email]>
cc
Subject

Damien Cassou a écrit :

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Serge Stinckwich
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Damien, there is a list on new ESUG web site :
>>
>> http://www.esug.org/Smaltalk/Companies
>>
>> There is also a list on the french wiki :
>> http://community.ofset.org/index.php/Entreprises_utilisant_Smalltalk
>>
>> Maybe these lists should be merged and consolidated.
>
> Thanks for the pointers. Once I finish my presentation, I could change
> these wiki pages.

Yes, it would be nice to have an updated repository of companies using
Smalltalk.

--
Serge Stinckwich
http://blog.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Smalltalk customers

Matthias Berth-2
I could not find Deutsche Bahn (german railways) on the list:

RUT-K ("Rechnerunterstütztes Trassenmanagement Konstruktion") is a
multi-user client-server system for the timetable management of big
railway systems. It is used by Deutsche Bahn Netz AG to manage
timetables of all trains on DB tracks in Germany.

There was a talk in 2006 about it:
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cincom/blogView?content=userConferenceAgenda

On Jul 31, 2008, at 10:43 AM, Damien Cassou wrote:

>> There is also a list on the french wiki :
>> http://community.ofset.org/index.php/Entreprises_utilisant_Smalltalk
>>
>> Maybe these lists should be merged and consolidated.
>
> Thanks for the pointers. Once I finish my presentation, I could change
> these wiki pages.

I could set up an new wiki for you, and I think Rob Vens could find
someone to keep it updated in the future.

As a stopgap solution you can use the two wiki's below right away,
I'll transfer them to a proper place on friday and put a domain on
them. Tell me what you need and I'll arrange it.

http://squeakphone.wiki.xs4all.nl/index.php?title=Main_Page
http://www.macmerik.nl:8080/seaside/pier

My professional Linkedin groups on Smalltalk will certainly be able to
supply more names, and be interrested in the list as a broadcast.

Do not forget the www.cmsbox.com or netstyle.ch customers.

Merik

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 10:42 AM, Merik Voswinkel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Auctomatic is seaside based.
> The Hawthorn Center ( www.hawcenter.org) ) uses seaside.
> Many universities and companies uses Croquet, ask Darius Clark, John Dougan
> or Julian Lombardi.
> Rob Vens has a few more names I think; http://www.robvens.nl/lang-en/blog.
> I have figures about the numbers of users worldwide I can digg up. Want me
> to do that?
> I would be very interested to hear your results, and publish them if I may.

Hi Merik,

thank you very much. I would really like to use your figures. I will
send the presentation once I finish it.

> My profound thanks for the developer images, I could not imagine living
> without them anymore.

No problem :-), I plan to continue working on them.

--
Damien Cassou
Peter von der Ahé: «I'm beginning to see why Gilad wished us good
luck». (http://blogs.sun.com/ahe/entry/override_snafu)

[squeak-dev] Re: Smalltalk customers

Klaus D. Witzel
We use Smalltalk, CoBSS S.A. Fribourg, Switzerland.

/Klaus

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 09:37:43 +0200, Damien Cassou wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to present Smalltalk to my colleagues because they all
> think it's an old language of no interest which nobody uses. To prove
> them they are false, I would like to build a list of companies who are
> using Smalltalk every day. Can you please give me the names of your
> companies if they are using Smalltalk?
>

> Thank you very much

Re: [squeak-dev] Smalltalk customers

Jon Hylands
On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 04:44:54 -0400, John Richards <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Damien,
>
> I can add that we're using Squeak at IBM Research for some exploratory projects.

A big chunk of the Proviso product (which IBM bought from
MicroMuse/Quallaby) is still written in Visualworks.

Later,
Jon

   Jon Hylands      [hidden email]      http://www.huv.com/jon

  Project: Micro Raptor (Small Biped Velociraptor Robot)
           http://www.huv.com/blog

RE: [squeak-dev] Smalltalk customers

Gary Chambers-4
Looks like the esug email address ([hidden email]) is being rejected...

Here's a link to our webstite since we use Squeak for product development:

http://www.pinesoft.co.uk

Regards, Gary

[squeak-dev] Re: Smalltalk customers

jarober
Damien Cassou <damien.cassou <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > http://stic.st/demos/SmalltalkInIndustry.html
>
> Thank you. How old is the demo on the second link?

That video was done about a year ago.

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Smalltalk customers

David Mitchell-10
I know from job postings and friends:

Florida Power and Light uses Smalltalk (Gemstone)
Kansas City Power and Light uses Smalltalk

Most big companies don't tell you what they use. Competitive advantage
and security are the two most common reasons.

I use it in my day job at Embarq telephone. I have a small Squeak
Seaside app that talks to a MySQL database (we don't own that). It
gets my team the reports they need and sidesteps the slow process of
working with IT or external consultants. Definitely not part of the IT
machine.

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 7:04 AM, James Robertson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Damien Cassou <damien.cassou <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> > http://stic.st/demos/SmalltalkInIndustry.html
>>
>> Thank you. How old is the demo on the second link?
>>

> That video was done about a year ago.

Re: [squeak-dev] Smalltalk customers

Randal L. Schwartz

Damien> I would like to present Smalltalk to my colleagues because they all
Damien> think it's an old language of no interest which nobody uses. To prove
Damien> them they are false, I would like to build a list of companies who are
Damien> using Smalltalk every day. Can you please give me the names of your
Damien> companies if they are using Smalltalk?

Haven't seen anyone mention seaside.gemstone.com which links to GemStone's
success stories, including OOCL, which is a giant 5-continent smalltalk
application tracking a large portion of all overseas shipping containers.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

12