[squeak-dev] Squeak and MySQL?

Andreas.Raab
Folks -

Is anyone out there using Squeak with MySQL? If so, what are you using
to connect the two? The only thing that I've found that looks remotely
applicable is http://map.squeak.org/packagebyname/mysql but it looks
rather outdated (last supported Squeak version appears to be 3.7) and
it's licensed under GPL which is an issue.

Any pointers would be greatly welcome. Please note that I'm not looking
for a persistence solution - I'm looking for something which I can use
to dump a few entries into MySQL so that they can be digested elsewhere.

Thanks,
   - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak and MySQL?

Damien Cassou-3
Hi Andreas,

you can have a look at the GestionImmo project on SqueakSource. It's a
Pier application which tries to map Magritte to Sql in a very simple
way. Looking at the source code, I have a method:

GISql>>openConnection
| spec |
Socket initializeNetwork.
spec := JdmConnectionSpec new initialize
        user: GIUser; password: GIPasswd;
        host: (NetNameResolver addressForName: GIHost);
        database: GIDataBase;
        port: GIPort.
connection := JdmConnection on: spec.

I don't remember where JdmConnection comes from but you can probably
find out by yourself.

--
Damien Cassou
Peter von der Ahé: «I'm beginning to see why Gilad wished us good

[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak and MySQL?

Paolo Bonzini-2
Damien Cassou wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> you can have a look at the GestionImmo project on SqueakSource. It's a
> Pier application which tries to map Magritte to Sql in a very simple
> way. Looking at the source code, I have a method:
>
> GISql>>openConnection
> | spec |
> Socket initializeNetwork.
> spec := JdmConnectionSpec new initialize
>         user: GIUser; password: GIPasswd;
>         host: (NetNameResolver addressForName: GIHost);
>         database: GIDataBase;
>         port: GIPort.
> connection := JdmConnection on: spec.
>
> I don't remember where JdmConnection comes from but you can probably
> find out by yourself.

It's from the package that Andreas was talking about (and that is also
on SqueakSource).

Paolo

[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak and MySQL?

EstebanLM
Well, you certainly can use "SqueakDBX" if you are not afraid of using
a very-alpha state package.
Oh, wait... the package is MIT licenced, but the library (opendbx) is
LGPL, so maybe you have the same problem :)

Cheers,
Esteban

On 2008-07-30 01:04:22 -0300, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> said:

Folks -

Is anyone out there using Squeak with MySQL? If so, what are you using to connect the two? The only thing that I've found that looks remotely applicable is http://map.squeak.org/packagebyname/mysql but it looks rather outdated (last supported Squeak version appears to be 3.7) and it's licensed under GPL which is an issue.

Any pointers would be greatly welcome. Please note that I'm not looking for a persistence solution - I'm looking for something which I can use to dump a few entries into MySQL so that they can be digested elsewhere.

Thanks,
  - Andreas

--
David Zmick
/dz0004455\
http://dz0004455.googlepages.com
http://dz0004455.blogspot.com

Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak and MySQL?

garduino
Also ODBC permit to connect and send commands.

Cheers.

Germán Arduino wrote:
> Also ODBC permit to connect and send commands.

Interesting - where is the code?

Cheers,
    - Andreas

> Cheers.
>

> 2008/7/30 Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:
>> Folks -
>>
>> Is anyone out there using Squeak with MySQL? If so, what are you using to
>> connect the two? The only thing that I've found that looks remotely
>> applicable is http://map.squeak.org/packagebyname/mysql but it looks rather
>> outdated (last supported Squeak version appears to be 3.7) and it's licensed
>> under GPL which is an issue.
>>
>> Any pointers would be greatly welcome. Please note that I'm not looking for
>> a persistence solution - I'm looking for something which I can use to dump a
>> few entries into MySQL so that they can be digested elsewhere.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>  - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak and MySQL?

keith1y
Andreas Raab wrote:

> Folks -
>
> Is anyone out there using Squeak with MySQL? If so, what are you using
> to connect the two? The only thing that I've found that looks remotely
> applicable is http://map.squeak.org/packagebyname/mysql but it looks
> rather outdated (last supported Squeak version appears to be 3.7) and
> it's licensed under GPL which is an issue.
>
> Any pointers would be greatly welcome. Please note that I'm not
> looking for a persistence solution - I'm looking for something which I
> can use to dump a few entries into MySQL so that they can be digested
> elsewhere.
>
> Thanks,
>   - Andreas
Latest avaiable is in http://www.squeaksource.com/MySQL

I use it in combination with some classes in Magritte-RDB available from
mc.lukas-renggli.ch/magritteaddons

regards

Keith

Keith Hodges wrote:
> Latest avaiable is in http://www.squeaksource.com/MySQL
>
> I use it in combination with some classes in Magritte-RDB available from
> mc.lukas-renggli.ch/magritteaddons

Thanks for the pointers. Unfortunately, it appears from SqueakMap that
the driver is GPLed and since we sell our enterprise server solution
this is a no-go. I think I'll go with ODBC.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Squeak and MySQL?

garduino
Only install the ODBC package.

Some doc, here: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2480

HTH.
gsa.

2008/7/30 Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:

> Germán Arduino wrote:
>>
>> Also ODBC permit to connect and send commands.
>
> Interesting - where is the code?
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
>

>> Cheers.
>>

>> 2008/7/30 Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Folks -
>>>
>>> Is anyone out there using Squeak with MySQL? If so, what are you using to
>>> connect the two? The only thing that I've found that looks remotely
>>> applicable is http://map.squeak.org/packagebyname/mysql but it looks
>>> rather
>>> outdated (last supported Squeak version appears to be 3.7) and it's
>>> licensed
>>> under GPL which is an issue.
>>>
>>> Any pointers would be greatly welcome. Please note that I'm not looking
>>> for
>>> a persistence solution - I'm looking for something which I can use to
>>> dump a
>>> few entries into MySQL so that they can be digested elsewhere.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>  - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Squeak and MySQL?

Rob Rothwell
I would also recommend ODBCEnh, which lets you use DSN-less connections, and implements doesNotUnderstand to look for common types of field names in the collections it returns (so that  ARecord firstName can find field names like "firstName, or "FIRST_NAME," etc...).

The ODBC package is a change set, which, if I recall, loads some global constants and things which made the TimeStamp class not work in Aida, I think.  Anyway, if you have problems, let me know; I have a version I patched many months ago which seems to work...although I didn't know enough at the time to turn it into a Monticello package and wrap ODBCEnh up with it!

Take care,

Rob

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
Keith Hodges wrote:
Latest avaiable is in http://www.squeaksource.com/MySQL

I use it in combination with some classes in Magritte-RDB available from mc.lukas-renggli.ch/magritteaddons

Thanks for the pointers. Unfortunately, it appears from SqueakMap that the driver is GPLed and since we sell our enterprise server solution this is a no-go. I think I'll go with ODBC.

Cheers,
 - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Squeak and MySQL?

garduino
We should joint efforts to have an up-to-date and complete ODBC package.

I can help with Monticello stuffs....

Let me know.

Cheers.

2008/7/30 Rob Rothwell <[hidden email]>:

> I would also recommend ODBCEnh, which lets you use DSN-less connections, and
> implements doesNotUnderstand to look for common types of field names in the
> collections it returns (so that  ARecord firstName can find field names like
> "firstName, or "FIRST_NAME," etc...).
> The ODBC package is a change set, which, if I recall, loads some global
> constants and things which made the TimeStamp class not work in Aida, I
> think.  Anyway, if you have problems, let me know; I have a version I
> patched many months ago which seems to work...although I didn't know enough
> at the time to turn it into a Monticello package and wrap ODBCEnh up with
> it!
> Take care,
> Rob
>
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Keith Hodges wrote:
>>>
>>> Latest avaiable is in http://www.squeaksource.com/MySQL
>>>
>>> I use it in combination with some classes in Magritte-RDB available from
>>> mc.lukas-renggli.ch/magritteaddons
>>
>> Thanks for the pointers. Unfortunately, it appears from SqueakMap that the
>> driver is GPLed and since we sell our enterprise server solution this is a
>> no-go. I think I'll go with ODBC.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>  - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Squeak and MySQL?

Benoit St-Jean
Good idea.  I'd be willing to put some time and effort in such a project.  I'm on Windows and can test for DB/2, Oracle, InterBase, MySQL and SQL Server if need be.  It would be cool to have a complete coverage of the ODBC API and have a package that is "self-contained" (no dependency on a particular TimeStamp implementation defined elsewhere for instance).  We should use/fix whatever is broken/missing in the "base" image.

Is this the start of a new project?  ;)

-----------------
Benoit St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
Blog: lamneth.wordpress.com
A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
(Albert Einstein)

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 7:10 PM, Benoit St-Jean <[hidden email]> wrote:
Good idea.  I'd be willing to put some time and effort in such a project.  I'm on Windows and can test for DB/2, Oracle, InterBase, MySQL and SQL Server if need be.  It would be cool to have a complete coverage of the ODBC API and have a package that is "self-contained" (no dependency on a particular TimeStamp implementation defined elsewhere for instance).  We should use/fix whatever is broken/missing in the "base" image.

Is this the start of a new project?  ;)

I'd be happy to help improve the current ODBC state, keeping in mind that I already asked for (and received!) the start of a new project, FlexDB (http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6051) in order to implement Threaded ODBC connections.  Granted, when Klaus and Igor get going, I can hardly keep up, but I am very excited about the possibility!  The goal of FlexDB was to do most of the work in Smalltalk with a minimal "mini-driver" layer.

In the meantime, however, it would be great for others to have an up-to-date version of the basic ODBC capabilities if they need it!

In terms of "complete coverage of the ODBC API," it would be great to add some functionality at the primitive level (I still haven't gone THERE yet!) in order to be able to get schema information, etc...  My big interest is a "dream" development tool in my mind that would combine the best of data warehousing tools, straight database tools, spreadsheets, and at the bottom of it all, Smalltalk, in an environment that could seamlessly allow you access to external data with the ability to drop down into the underlying collections and manipulate them at will as required!

Anyway...yes?  Keeping in mind that I WANT to lots of things and am not as fast as I'd like to be so I tend to sort of "over commit" a bit, but I'd be happy to share my understanding and test things out as well.  I work in a hospital with LOTS of data sources and plenty of things to practice on.

Take care,

Rob

Benoit St-Jean wrote:
> Good idea.  I'd be willing to put some time and effort in such a
> project.  I'm on Windows and can test for DB/2, Oracle, InterBase, MySQL
> and SQL Server if need be.  It would be cool to have a complete coverage
> of the ODBC API and have a package that is "self-contained" (no
> dependency on a particular TimeStamp implementation defined elsewhere
> for instance).  We should use/fix whatever is broken/missing in the
> "base" image.
>
> Is this the start of a new project?  ;)

I am certainly game but I can't lead the project (too much stuff on my
plate). In the meantime I've done a bit of work with ODBC and besides
fixing various issues in the ODBC library (there were plenty of wrong
declarations) I've removed the old Timestamp stuff (and speed up reading
datetimes by about 5x), added support for prepared statements, did some
refactoring (there is lots more to be done) and brought everything into
MC (i.e., using proper SharedPools).

Since I've got the code already in MC if someone registers a project
I'll be happy to contribute the changes. Oh, and I'll be mostly using
unixODBC here so we'll get coverage on this end as well.

Cheers,
   - Andreas