[squeak-dev] SqueakNOS landing on OLPC's XO

[squeak-dev] SqueakNOS landing on OLPC's XO

Hilaire Fernandes-4
You may have heard of it, but better to see it live in video

http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire/index.php?post/2008/08/28/SqueakNOS-faster-than-ligh

[squeak-dev] Re: SqueakNOS landing on OLPC's XO

Hilaire Fernandes-4

[squeak-dev] Re: [Squeak-fr] SqueakNOS landing on OLPC's XO

Hilaire Fernandes-4
Le vendredi 29 août 2008 à 10:36 +0200, Serge Stinckwich a écrit :
> 2008/8/28 Hilaire Fernandes <[hidden email]>:
> > You may have heard of it, but better to see it live in video
> >
> > http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire/index.php?post/2008/08/28/SqueakNOS-faster-than-ligh
>
> I put the video on YouTube for those who have an ogg player here :

You mean, 'for those who have not a descent media player' ;-)

Thanks anyway!

> http://blog.doesnotunderstand.org/2008/08/esug-08-video-du-boot-de-squeaknos-sur-olpc/

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Squeak-fr] SqueakNOS landing on OLPC's XO

Juan Vuletich-4
Wonderful!

Congratulations, Gera!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> Le vendredi 29 août 2008 à 10:36 +0200, Serge Stinckwich a écrit :
>
>> 2008/8/28 Hilaire Fernandes <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> You may have heard of it, but better to see it live in video
>>>
>>> http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire/index.php?post/2008/08/28/SqueakNOS-faster-than-ligh
>>>
>> I put the video on YouTube for those who have an ogg player here :
>>

> You mean, 'for those who have not a descent media player' ;-)
>
> Thanks anyway!
>

>> http://blog.doesnotunderstand.org/2008/08/esug-08-video-du-boot-de-squeaknos-sur-olpc/

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: SqueakNOS landing on OLPC's XO

K. K. Subramaniam
On Friday 29 Aug 2008 1:37:53 am Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
> Will work better,
> http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire/index.php?post/2008/08/28/SqueakNOS-faster-th
>an-light
Power-on to workspace in less than 20 seconds! Fantastic!
OFW and SqueakNOS seems like a perfect fit.

Is there going to be a post on how it was done? Are all devices (e.g. camera,
wifi) functional?

Subbu

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: SqueakNOS landing on OLPC's XO

Bert Freudenberg

Am 29.08.2008 um 16:26 schrieb K. K. Subramaniam:

> On Friday 29 Aug 2008 1:37:53 am Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
>> Will work better,
>> http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire/index.php?post/2008/08/28/SqueakNOS-faster-th
>> an-light
> Power-on to workspace in less than 20 seconds! Fantastic!
> OFW and SqueakNOS seems like a perfect fit.
>
> Is there going to be a post on how it was done? Are all devices
> (e.g. camera,
> wifi) functional?

This is only a two days old, be patient ;)

I doubt much beyond keyboard/mouse/screen works, yet.

- Bert -

K. K. Subramaniam a écrit :
> On Friday 29 Aug 2008 1:37:53 am Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
>> Will work better,
>> http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire/index.php?post/2008/08/28/SqueakNOS-faster-th
>> an-light
> Power-on to workspace in less than 20 seconds! Fantastic!
> OFW and SqueakNOS seems like a perfect fit.

In fact most of the 20s is related to XO self start (openfirmware
hardware test?). As far as I remember loading and installing squeakNOS
is at most 5 s, probably less. Really impressive.

> Is there going to be a post on how it was done? Are all devices (e.g. camera,
> wifi) functional?

No yet. It is nice OLPC people are very helpful to Gera, and Gera is
going back to Argentina with an XO machine, so many reason to continue.

Hilaire

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: SqueakNOS landing on OLPC's XO

Karl Ramberg
Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> K. K. Subramaniam a écrit :
>> On Friday 29 Aug 2008 1:37:53 am Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
>>> Will work better,
>>> http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire/index.php?post/2008/08/28/SqueakNOS-faster-th
>>>
>>> an-light
>> Power-on to workspace in less than 20 seconds! Fantastic!
>> OFW and SqueakNOS seems like a perfect fit.
>
> In fact most of the 20s is related to XO self start (openfirmware
> hardware test?). As far as I remember loading and installing squeakNOS
> is at most 5 s, probably less. Really impressive.
>

>> Is there going to be a post on how it was done? Are all devices (e.g.
>> camera, wifi) functional?
>
> No yet. It is nice OLPC people are very helpful to Gera, and Gera is
> going back to Argentina with an XO machine, so many reason to continue.
>
> Hilaire

Can you snapshot the image ? That's the point of fewer returns to other
systems, then network and a so on.
/It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's a Smalltalk balloon
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_a_Bird...It%27s_a_Plane...It%27s_Superman>/

Karl

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: SqueakNOS landing on OLPC's XO

cedreek
> Can you snapshot the image ?

I think not yet but they are working as they don't manage disks... but
they started implementing SDCard and USB so...

Also since esug camp, you are able to boot every squeak image !

Cheers,
Cédrick