[squeak-dev] SqueakPeople move to DabbleDB ?

[squeak-dev] SqueakPeople move to DabbleDB ?

Karl-19
I saw a nice demo of DabbleDB,  browsed their site and noticed that they
are offering free service. Since nobody want to touch SqueakPeople code
(implemented in C) I thought DabbleDB could be cool, maybe. Is there
stuff in SqueakPeople that DabbleDB won't handle ?

Karl

Re: [squeak-dev] SqueakPeople move to DabbleDB ?

Daniel Vainsencher-3
Interesting idea. The interesting algorithm in SqP is the flow algorithm
that decides when the certifications of a person are sufficient to
actually give him the status. That'd probably require adding some
Smalltalk code. Also, does the permissions model fit?

Daniel

karl wrote:

> I saw a nice demo of DabbleDB,  browsed their site and noticed that
> they are offering free service. Since nobody want to touch
> SqueakPeople code (implemented in C) I thought DabbleDB could be cool,
> maybe. Is there stuff in SqueakPeople that DabbleDB won't handle ?
>
> Karl

Re: [squeak-dev] SqueakPeople move to DabbleDB ?

cedreek
> Interesting idea. The interesting algorithm in SqP is the flow algorithm
> that decides when the certifications of a person are sufficient to actually
> give him the status.

I really fin this kind of model interesting, but actually I don't see
where are the subtleties of such an algorithm.

I have 5 votes as apprentice and one as Journeyer
... and my status is journeyer which is not logic to me (and not true too ;) )!

Does somebody have any clue on how this algorithm behave !
To me it's as simple as
status = better vote whatever the status of the votant is...

so, I guess I miss something, otherwise this kind of model is far too
simple... is it this site (http://people.squeakfoundation.org/) ?

Thanks

Cédrick

Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> Interesting idea. The interesting algorithm in SqP is the flow
> algorithm that decides when the certifications of a person are
> sufficient to actually give him the status. That'd probably require
> adding some Smalltalk code. Also, does the permissions model fit?

Good point, but do the different certifications mean anything anymore ?
I think the model could be that as long as someone approves someone one
can vote. So we just need Observer and Certified or something like that.
Karl

> Daniel
>

> karl wrote:
>
>> I saw a nice demo of DabbleDB,  browsed their site and noticed that
>> they are offering free service. Since nobody want to touch
>> SqueakPeople code (implemented in C) I thought DabbleDB could be
>> cool, maybe. Is there stuff in SqueakPeople that DabbleDB won't handle ?
>>
>> Karl

Re: [squeak-dev] SqueakPeople move to DabbleDB ?

Bert Freudenberg

On 29.04.2008, at 17:26, cdrick wrote:

>> Interesting idea. The interesting algorithm in SqP is the flow
>> algorithm
>> that decides when the certifications of a person are sufficient to
>> actually
>> give him the status.
>
> I really fin this kind of model interesting, but actually I don't see
> where are the subtleties of such an algorithm.
>
> I have 5 votes as apprentice and one as Journeyer
> ... and my status is journeyer which is not logic to me (and not
> true too ;) )!

See http://people.squeakfoundation.org/trust-metric.html

I think the trust metric capacities should be adapted to reflect the
smaller size of the squeak community (they were taken literally from
advogato which has way more members).

- Bert -

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 29.04.2008, at 17:26, cdrick wrote:
>
>>> Interesting idea. The interesting algorithm in SqP is the flow
>>> algorithm
>>> that decides when the certifications of a person are sufficient to
>>> actually
>>> give him the status.
>>
>> I really fin this kind of model interesting, but actually I don't see
>> where are the subtleties of such an algorithm.
>>
>> I have 5 votes as apprentice and one as Journeyer
>> ... and my status is journeyer which is not logic to me (and not true
>> too ;) )!
>
> See http://people.squeakfoundation.org/trust-metric.html
>
> I think the trust metric capacities should be adapted to reflect the
> smaller size of the squeak community (they were taken literally from
> advogato which has way more members).
Which bring us back to the beginning of this thread, that no one wants
to touch the SqueakPeople code ;-)

Karl

Re: [squeak-dev] SqueakPeople move to DabbleDB ?

Avi Bryant-2
On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 9:03 AM, karl <[hidden email]> wrote:
Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
Interesting idea. The interesting algorithm in SqP is the flow algorithm that decides when the certifications of a person are sufficient to actually give him the status. That'd probably require adding some Smalltalk code. Also, does the permissions model fit?

Good point, but do the different certifications mean anything anymore ? I think the model could be that as long as someone approves someone one can vote. So we just need Observer and Certified or something like that.

Well, what is the actual goal of SqP then - just a way to keep track of the "approved" members of the community, and some contact info etc for them?

If so, I'm happy to build/host something in Dabble DB for that purpose...

Avi

[squeak-dev] re: SqueakPeople move to DabbleDB ?

ccrraaiigg

 > ...what is the actual goal of SqP... just a way to keep track of the
 > "approved" members of the community, and some contact info etc for
 > them?
 >
 > If so, I'm happy to build/host something in Dabble DB for that
 > purpose...

      Sounds good to me!

      thanks,

-C

Re: [squeak-dev] SqueakPeople move to DabbleDB ?

Ken Causey-3
There is also the article, diary (blog), and project features.

The article and diary features could be combined into one of course:
allow comments to be added to diary entries, allow diary entries to be
shown on the front page if both desired and the poster is of sufficient
certification.

The project feature really could be moved to SqueakSource or even
SqueakMap where the projects are already listed.  What would be nice is
for a users to have a way to express an interest in a project from the
level of say, 'curious', to 'user', to interested developer or
participant.  Having it linked into the certifications though is useful.

I would like to correct Karl and say that I myself have recently added
functionality to SqP including some support for the election team to
make it easier to get a valid voter list, the ability to change your
password, and the ability to request a password reset.

Ken

Ken Causey wrote:

> There is also the article, diary (blog), and project features.
>
> The article and diary features could be combined into one of course:
> allow comments to be added to diary entries, allow diary entries to be
> shown on the front page if both desired and the poster is of sufficient
> certification.
>
> The project feature really could be moved to SqueakSource or even
> SqueakMap where the projects are already listed.  What would be nice is
> for a users to have a way to express an interest in a project from the
> level of say, 'curious', to 'user', to interested developer or
> participant.  Having it linked into the certifications though is useful.
>
> I would like to correct Karl and say that I myself have recently added
> functionality to SqP including some support for the election team to
> make it easier to get a valid voter list, the ability to change your
> password, and the ability to request a password reset.

I stand corrected.

Karl

> Ken
>
> On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 11:45 -0700, Avi Bryant wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 9:03 AM, karl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>         Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
>>                 Interesting idea. The interesting algorithm in SqP is
>>                 the flow algorithm that decides when the
>>                 certifications of a person are sufficient to actually
>>                 give him the status. That'd probably require adding
>>                 some Smalltalk code. Also, does the permissions model
>>                 fit?
>>

>>         Good point, but do the different certifications mean anything
>>         anymore ? I think the model could be that as long as someone
>>         approves someone one can vote. So we just need Observer and
>>         Certified or something like that.
>>
>> Well, what is the actual goal of SqP then - just a way to keep track
>> of the "approved" members of the community, and some contact info etc
>> for them?
>>
>> If so, I'm happy to build/host something in Dabble DB for that
>> purpose...
>>
>> Avi

Re: [squeak-dev] re: SqueakPeople move to DabbleDB ?

Karl-19
Craig Latta wrote:

> > ...what is the actual goal of SqP... just a way to keep track of the
> > "approved" members of the community, and some contact info etc for
> > them?
> >
> > If so, I'm happy to build/host something in Dabble DB for that
> > purpose...
>
>      Sounds good to me!

Another thing that Dabble could serve is like the current licensing
effort and track people who have signed. And maybe other statistic info
from the image.

Karl

Re: [squeak-dev] SqueakPeople move to DabbleDB ?

garduino
I think that the qualifications are useful at least to take in account in the circumstance of need people to work on projects. May be SqueakPeople isn't perfect but all of us can have a big picture of the project each people has worked on, led on, interested on, etc.

I developed a little app to read from time to time such data and have some sort of statistics of our community and ever thinked in do something (don't sure exactly what) to help in the payed job arena (By example that each one of us can expose if is interested in be hired, in what conditions, what prices, etc...).

Well, are only ideas.

Note: I can help also in what community decides to do.