[squeak-dev] VM section on www.squeak.org / in particular for Debian / Ubuntu

Hannes Hirzel
John M McIntosh wrote:

> On 12-Aug-09, at 9:05 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> Hi John -
>>
>> Sounds good, but I'm not sure what exactly you are proposing. Are you
>> thinking about the VM download links on www.squeak.org? In this case
>> we should talk to the web team which maintains the web site. Or do
>> you mean to update the 3.10.2 release to ship with more modern VMs?
>> In this case we should ask Edgar if he can help us with that. Or
>> both? Or something entirely different?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>  - Andreas
>
> All of the above, it's also the process of feeding the VMs from the
> folks that build them to
> squeak.org for distribution.
>
> Just check squeak.org and see what you get if you download squeak

Yes, thank you John, for bringing up the VM issue. Let me add something
specific.

On http://www.squeak.org/Download/
Section 'Virtual Machine' / Link 'Debian/GNU Linux' points to
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3616 which does not tell me anything about
the following VM

http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-3.10-6.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz

which I used yesterday finally with success on Ubuntu Jaunty (see
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2009-August/138228.html
- the problem there was resolved when I tried it later).

I currently do not feel comfortable updating the wiki page
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3616  (Squeak for Debian Users) myself.
However the person doing that should hold on a bit until Ian /Piumarta /
puts out
http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-3.10-7.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz
which is supposed to have some plugin issues fixed (see
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2009-August/138196.html,
description about Squeak-3.10-6.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz is there)

Personally I would like to see a page which tells Ubuntu users what to
do as there are quite a number.

Maybe the whole section on  http://www.squeak.org/Download/ about VMs
should just be replaced by one pointer to
http://www.squeakvm.org/index.html and that page should be updated
accordingly?

Regards
Hannes

[squeak-dev] Re: VM section on www.squeak.org / in particular for Debian / Ubuntu

Andreas.Raab
hannes.hirzel wrote:
> Maybe the whole section on  http://www.squeak.org/Download/ about VMs
> should just be replaced by one pointer to
> http://www.squeakvm.org/index.html and that page should be updated
> accordingly?

Can you make a proposal for the contents of that page? Regardless of
whether it's on squeak.org or squeakvm.org we'll need some content to
put there.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: VM section on www.squeak.org / in particular for Debian / Ubuntu

Hannes Hirzel
Andreas Raab wrote:

> hannes.hirzel wrote:
>> Maybe the whole section on  http://www.squeak.org/Download/ about VMs
>> should just be replaced by one pointer to
>> http://www.squeakvm.org/index.html and that page should be updated
>> accordingly?
>
> Can you make a proposal for the contents of that page? Regardless of
> whether it's on squeak.org or squeakvm.org we'll need some content to
> put there.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

Unfortunately not because I am do not know all what is happening on the
Linux and Mac VM side. I just run Squeak on MSWindows and Ubuntu 9.04
and for that the instructions on

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2009-August/138214.html
and
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2009-August/138227.html

together with your answers
worked fine yesterday.

Actually the whole thing probably would gain if somebody knowledgeable
would start _deleting_  outdated information (in particular on the wiki)
so that the more important information stands out.

Regards
Hannes

Re: [squeak-dev] VM section on www.squeak.org / in particular for Debian / Ubuntu

Bert Freudenberg
On 13.08.2009, at 07:46, hannes.hirzel wrote:
> Personally I would like to see a page which tells Ubuntu users what
> to do as there are quite a number.

If there is indeed a number, perhaps someone will finally step up and
properly maintain the distro vm package? José's latest in Debian is
3.10-3, which automatically went into Ubuntu but got slightly broken
when re-built (no xshm support). Help is needed to get the latest VM
releases into Debian, and make sure the Ubuntu packages are built
properly.

Then all you need to get the latest VM would be

        apt-get update squeak-vm

- Bert -