[squeak-dev] Window resize

Torsten Bergmann
Hi Mariano,

>I think I asked the same some time ago.

No, you asked on how to manipulate the size of  the
surrounding native window directly from your code.

Thats easy on Windows using SetWindowPos() API [1] with FFI,
but there is no generalized platform independent solution
in all VM's yet. Maybe you should suggest it on vm-dev or
do it with FFI by calling OS API's for resizing.

I asked how one can REACT when the user changes the size of the
surrounding native window. (React within morphic when user resizes,
so hook into an external resize event)

For instance on Win32 you get a WM_SIZE notification [2] and
there are similar notifications on other UI frameworks, so
it could be dispatched from an (event driven) VM into a morphic
event.

However this is also not there as of today.

>Do we have a solution now?

As Bert suggested for my question in [3] - one can hook into the
Morphic mainloop.

Bye
T.

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms633545(VS.85).aspx
[2] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms632646(VS.85).aspx
[3] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-February/144668.html

Re: [squeak-dev] Window resize

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano,

>I think I asked the same some time ago.

No, you asked on how to manipulate the size of  the
surrounding native window directly from your code.

Thats easy on Windows using SetWindowPos() API [1] with FFI,
but there is no generalized platform independent solution
in all VM's yet. Maybe you should suggest it on vm-dev or
do it with FFI by calling OS API's for resizing.

I asked how one can REACT when the user changes the size of the
surrounding native window. (React within morphic when user resizes,
so hook into an external resize event)

Ok....now I understand the difference. Thanks Torsten. I will then ask in VM list.

Cheers

Mariano

For instance on Win32 you get a WM_SIZE notification [2] and
there are similar notifications on other UI frameworks, so
it could be dispatched from an (event driven) VM into a morphic
event.

However this is also not there as of today.

>Do we have a solution now?

As Bert suggested for my question in [3] - one can hook into the
Morphic mainloop.

Bye
T.

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms633545(VS.85).aspx
[2] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms632646(VS.85).aspx
[3] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-February/144668.html

Re: [squeak-dev] Window resize

johnmci
Maybe you can find one of those rare (no-existant?) windows developers who can implement: Areithfa Ffenestri
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3862
on windows.

On 2010-02-19, at 4:40 AM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> Hi Mariano,
>
>> I think I asked the same some time ago.
>
> No, you asked on how to manipulate the size of  the
> surrounding native window directly from your code.
>
> Thats easy on Windows using SetWindowPos() API [1] with FFI,
> but there is no generalized platform independent solution
> in all VM's yet. Maybe you should suggest it on vm-dev or
> do it with FFI by calling OS API's for resizing.
>

> I asked how one can REACT when the user changes the size of the
> surrounding native window. (React within morphic when user resizes,
> so hook into an external resize event)
>
> For instance on Win32 you get a WM_SIZE notification [2] and
> there are similar notifications on other UI frameworks, so
> it could be dispatched from an (event driven) VM into a morphic
> event.
>
> However this is also not there as of today.
>
>> Do we have a solution now?
>
> As Bert suggested for my question in [3] - one can hook into the
> Morphic mainloop.
>
> Bye
> T.
>
> [1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms633545(VS.85).aspx
> [2] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms632646(VS.85).aspx
> [3] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-February/144668.html

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882