[squeak-dev] histogram-based profiling tools on Mac OS X?

[squeak-dev] histogram-based profiling tools on Mac OS X?

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi All,

    I'm badly in need of a histogram-based profiler for the VM I'm working on.  This is something that produces a histogram of time taken against PC, insead of time taken against function.  The interpreter is a very large function and so function-centric tools aren't (IME) that useful.  I've written ones for BrouHaHa and VisualWorks and will write one again if pushed.  But I wonder whether anyone knows of anything off-the-shelf or close enough to be wroth using as a starting point.  For example, has anyone written a graphing tool in Squeak using Morphic that I could steal for the UI?  Yes I could start with gprof and/or gcov but I find graphical histograms much more immediate and helpful.

TIA
Eliot

Re: [squeak-dev] histogram-based profiling tools on Mac OS X?

Avi Bryant-2
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're asking for, you already have
one installed:
/Developer/Applications/Performance Tools/Shark.app

Eg:
http://developer.apple.com/tools/images/codeProfile.jpg

Avi

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 6:16 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>     I'm badly in need of a histogram-based profiler for the VM I'm working
> on.  This is something that produces a histogram of time taken against PC,
> insead of time taken against function.  The interpreter is a very large
> function and so function-centric tools aren't (IME) that useful.  I've
> written ones for BrouHaHa and VisualWorks and will write one again if
> pushed.  But I wonder whether anyone knows of anything off-the-shelf or
> close enough to be wroth using as a starting point.  For example, has anyone
> written a graphing tool in Squeak using Morphic that I could steal for the
> UI?  Yes I could start with gprof and/or gcov but I find graphical
> histograms much more immediate and helpful.
> TIA
> Eliot

Re: [squeak-dev] histogram-based profiling tools on Mac OS X?

Colin Putney

On 11-Jul-08, at 6:23 PM, Avi Bryant wrote:

> Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're asking for, you already have
> one installed:
> /Developer/Applications/Performance Tools/Shark.app
>
> Eg:
> http://developer.apple.com/tools/images/codeProfile.jpg
>
> Avi
>
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 6:16 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>    I'm badly in need of a histogram-based profiler for the VM I'm
>> working
>> on.  This is something that produces a histogram of time taken
>> against PC,
>> insead of time taken against function.

Another option would be DTrace/Instruments, if you're running Leopard.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/InstrumentsUserGuide/Introduction/chapter_1_section_1.html

Re: [squeak-dev] histogram-based profiling tools on Mac OS X?

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Avi,

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 6:23 PM, Avi Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're asking for, you already have
one installed:
/Developer/Applications/Performance Tools/Shark.app

Eg:
http://developer.apple.com/tools/images/codeProfile.jpg

Shark looks OK for a text-based tool.  But its still line based.  I prefer something more immediately graphical.  e.g. here's my own tool  for Windows (terrible UI)

But looks like Shark is minimal effort.  Thanks!

Re: [squeak-dev] histogram-based profiling tools on Mac OS X?

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Colin,

    this is much closer to (and nicer than) what I had in mind.  But it seems time-based.  Does it include tools to relate to PC?
(e.g. a la http://www.mirandabanda.org/images/oeprofiler.jpg)

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 6:36 PM, Colin Putney <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 11-Jul-08, at 6:23 PM, Avi Bryant wrote:

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're asking for, you already have
one installed:
/Developer/Applications/Performance Tools/Shark.app

Eg:
http://developer.apple.com/tools/images/codeProfile.jpg

Avi

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 6:16 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,
  I'm badly in need of a histogram-based profiler for the VM I'm working
on.  This is something that produces a histogram of time taken against PC,
insead of time taken against function.

Another option would be DTrace/Instruments, if you're running Leopard.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/InstrumentsUserGuide/Introduction/chapter_1_section_1.html

[squeak-dev] Re: histogram-based profiling tools on Mac OS X?

Simon Michael

[squeak-dev] Re: histogram-based profiling tools on Mac OS X?

Simon Michael
And I should have included http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2626
(PlotMorph), which links to some apps using it.