[squeak-dev] http://source.squeak.org/trunk is now at 3.10.2

12

[squeak-dev] http://source.squeak.org/trunk is now at 3.10.2

Andreas.Raab
Folks -

Just as a short update the repository at http://source.squeak.org/trunk
is now at 3.10.2. I have copied the original packages from 3.10 and
created commits from the deltas that were in 3.10.2. I would appreciate
if some of you could test the update process by doing the following:

* Download the "original" 3.10 release at
   http://ftp.squeak.org/3.10/Squeak3.10-7159-basic.zip

* Point Monticello to http://source.squeak.org/trunk and load the latest
version of MonticelloConfigurations to ensure you have the needed fixes
for the next step.

* Execute the following doIt:
   MCMcmUpdater updateFromRepositories: #(
     'http://source.squeak.org/trunk'
   )

Sit back, fetch a cup of coffee, read the newspaper, relax ;-) A little
while later the process should complete and you should be in the same
state as the 3.10.2 release. In addition, your version has been updated
so that the next time you can just go to the World menu, Help, and
choose "update code from server" (or use the Squeak flap) and you will
update automatically from source.squeak.org (thanks Edgar!).

The next step will be integrating the fixes that are already marked for
3.11. I did a quick test and it looks like Installer is the ticket here
but unfortunately, I ran into some issues with the actual fixes so this
will have to wait just a little while longer. (I'm hoping I'll get
around to most of it on the weekend)

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] http://source.squeak.org/trunk is now at 3.10.2

Ian Trudel-2
2009/7/3 Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:

> Folks -
>
> Just as a short update the repository at http://source.squeak.org/trunk is
> now at 3.10.2. I have copied the original packages from 3.10 and created
> commits from the deltas that were in 3.10.2. I would appreciate if some of
> you could test the update process by doing the following:
>
> * Download the "original" 3.10 release at
>  http://ftp.squeak.org/3.10/Squeak3.10-7159-basic.zip
>
> * Point Monticello to http://source.squeak.org/trunk and load the latest
> version of MonticelloConfigurations to ensure you have the needed fixes for
> the next step.
>
> * Execute the following doIt:
>  MCMcmUpdater updateFromRepositories: #(
>    'http://source.squeak.org/trunk'
>  )
>
> Sit back, fetch a cup of coffee, read the newspaper, relax ;-) A little
> while later the process should complete and you should be in the same state
> as the 3.10.2 release. In addition, your version has been updated so that
> the next time you can just go to the World menu, Help, and choose "update
> code from server" (or use the Squeak flap) and you will update automatically
> from source.squeak.org (thanks Edgar!).
>
> The next step will be integrating the fixes that are already marked for
> 3.11. I did a quick test and it looks like Installer is the ticket here but
> unfortunately, I ran into some issues with the actual fixes so this will
> have to wait just a little while longer. (I'm hoping I'll get around to most
> of it on the weekend)
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

Hello, Andreas!

I did as you said but it went so fast that I hadn't had time to sit
back. Is that normal?

When shall we expect http://source.squeak.org/tests ?

Regards,
Ian.

http://mecenia.blogspot.com/

[squeak-dev] Re: http://source.squeak.org/trunk is now at 3.10.2

Andreas.Raab
Ian Trudel wrote:
> I did as you said but it went so fast that I hadn't had time to sit
> back. Is that normal?

Ah, no. Not exactly. It takes about a minute here so even if you had a
really fast connection you should definitely see it. Can you check that
you've actually loaded the relevant packages from Monticello? You should
have several packages that are tagged as "auto", for example
Collections-auto.92, or Tools-auto.86 (these are the ones generated from
3.10.2).

> When shall we expect http://source.squeak.org/tests ?

Already there. World-writable. You can submit new tests today ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: http://source.squeak.org/trunk is now at 3.10.2

Ian Trudel-2
2009/7/3 Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:

> Ian Trudel wrote:
>>
>> I did as you said but it went so fast that I hadn't had time to sit
>> back. Is that normal?
>
> Ah, no. Not exactly. It takes about a minute here so even if you had a
> really fast connection you should definitely see it. Can you check that
> you've actually loaded the relevant packages from Monticello? You should
> have several packages that are tagged as "auto", for example
> Collections-auto.92, or Tools-auto.86 (these are the ones generated from
> 3.10.2).

All right. It took about a minute and there is several packages tagged
as "auto". Therefore, I confirm it works as intended here.

Gee, you really have time to grab a coffee and read newspaper in a minute? =)

>> When shall we expect http://source.squeak.org/tests ?
>
> Already there. World-writable. You can submit new tests today ;-)

o_O. Cool!

Thanks,
Ian
http://mecenia.blogspot.com/

Re: [squeak-dev] http://source.squeak.org/trunk is now at 3.10.2

Michael Haupt-3
Hi Andreas,

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 9:31 AM, Andreas Raab<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just as a short update the repository at http://source.squeak.org/trunk is
> now at 3.10.2. I have copied the original packages from 3.10 and created
> commits from the deltas that were in 3.10.2. I would appreciate if some of
> you could test the update process by doing the following: ...

no problems. :-)
(Mac, VM is 3.8.19beta1U)

Best,

Michael

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: http://source.squeak.org/trunk is now at 3.10.2

Steven Elkins
Worked for me.  Guess I'm old-fashioned since I opened a Transcript.  :)

========== Collections-auto.92 ==========

This is an automatic commit from the 3.10.2 to cover the delta between
3.10 and 3.10.2 in the repositories

========== CollectionsTests-auto.75 ==========

This is an automatic commit from the 3.10.2 to cover the delta between
3.10 and 3.10.2 in the repositories
a MCClassDefinition(SortedCollectionTest)
========== Graphics-auto.44 ==========

========== Installer-Core-auto.87 ==========

========== Kernel-auto.172 ==========

========== KernelTests-auto.63 ==========

========== Monticello-auto.313 ==========

========== Morphic-auto.130 ==========

========== MorphicExtras-auto.34 ==========

This is an automatic commit from the 3.10.2 to cover the delta between
3.10 and 3.10.2 in the repositories
a MCOrganizationDefinition(#(#'MorphicExtras-Demo'
#'MorphicExtras-AdditionalSupport' #'MorphicExtras-AdditionalMorphs'
#'MorphicExtras-Widgets' #'MorphicExtras-Books'
#'MorphicExtras-Postscript Filters' #'MorphicExtras-Support'
#'MorphicExtras-ST80' #'MorphicExtras-SoundInterface'
#'MorphicExtras-Undo' #'MorphicExtras-Components'
#'MorphicExtras-Postscript Canvases' #'MorphicExtras-PartsBin'
#'MorphicExtras-AdditionalWidgets' #'MorphicExtras-Flaps'
#'MorphicExtras-Navigators' #'MorphicExtras-GeeMail'
#'MorphicExtras-Palettes' #'MorphicExtras-Leds'
#'MorphicExtras-SqueakPage' #'MorphicExtras-AdditionalWorlds'
#'MorphicExtras-Text Support' #'MorphicExtras-Obsolete'
#'MorphicExtras-EToy-Download'))
========== Multilingual-auto.30 ==========

========== Tests-auto.35 ==========

This is an automatic commit from the 3.10.2 to cover the delta between
3.10 and 3.10.2 in the repositories
a MCClassDefinition(RenderBugz)
========== Tools-auto.86 ==========

This is an automatic commit from the 3.10.2 to cover the delta between
3.10 and 3.10.2 in the repositories

========== Morphic-ar.131 ==========

Merge SystemProgressMorph labelling so we have better progress
notifications during updates from trunk.

========== Exceptions-ar.9 ==========

Allow ProgressNotifications to change the label of a SystemProgressMorph.

========== System-ar.107 ==========

Utilities updateFromServer now uses MCM updater from

--
How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment
before starting to improve the world.       -- Anne Frank
right now...only much, much better.    -- Laurie Anderson

Re: [squeak-dev] http://source.squeak.org/trunk is now at 3.10.2

Edgar J. De Cleene

On 7/3/09 4:31 AM, "Andreas Raab" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * Execute the following doIt:
>    MCMcmUpdater updateFromRepositories: #(
>      'http://source.squeak.org/trunk'
>    )
>
> Sit back, fetch a cup of coffee, read the newspaper, relax ;-) A little
> while later the process should complete and you should be in the same
> state as the 3.10.2 release. In addition, your version has been updated
> so that the next time you can just go to the World menu, Help, and
> choose "update code from server" (or use the Squeak flap) and you will
> update automatically from source.squeak.org (thanks Edgar!).

Time now 7:03:22 am
MCMcmUpdater updateFromRepositories: #(
     'http://source.squeak.org/trunk'
   )
Time now 7:04:42 am

So I say BRAVO Andreas, seeing is believing.

Now I ask in public how I could have some of my crazy ideas I testing in
SqueakLightII for going to 3.11

List of the ideas.

Rip as many packages as we know at some point we could load again (this
exclude Traits as I don not have the slight idea of how load it again)
This moves 3.11 closer to MinimalMorphic and (I hope) to Cuis simplified
Morphic

Having a "class repository" which I have for long time as you know with all
classes we have into 3.7, 3.8,3.8, 3.10.

Improve the DNU I using now for the image just load what need from this
repositories

Having a modify Monticello for load any file a package need as picts,
sounds, morphs, etc ("ProcustesEnd" idea)

The last SqueakLightII was in
http://ftp.squeak.org/various_images/SqueakLight/SqueakLightII.7228.zip

Some videos I posted in both list

http://www.morphle.com/~edgar/UsingSqueakSource.mov
http://www.morphle.com/~edgar/StarBrowserAgain.mov
http://www.morphle.com/~edgar/CreatingaProcustesEnd.mov
http://www.morphle.com/~edgar/CreatingaProcustesEnd2.mov

Edgar

Re: [squeak-dev] http://source.squeak.org/trunk is now at 3.10.2

Bert Freudenberg
On 03.07.2009, at 12:19, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 7/3/09 4:31 AM, "Andreas Raab" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> * Execute the following doIt:
>>   MCMcmUpdater updateFromRepositories: #(
>>     'http://source.squeak.org/trunk'
>>   )
>>
>> Sit back, fetch a cup of coffee, read the newspaper, relax ;-) A
>> little
>> while later the process should complete and you should be in the same
>> state as the 3.10.2 release. In addition, your version has been
>> updated
>> so that the next time you can just go to the World menu, Help, and
>> choose "update code from server" (or use the Squeak flap) and you
>> will
>> update automatically from source.squeak.org (thanks Edgar!).
>

> Time now 7:03:22 am
> MCMcmUpdater updateFromRepositories: #(
>     'http://source.squeak.org/trunk'
>   )
> Time now 7:04:42 am
>
> So I say BRAVO Andreas, seeing is believing.

Indeed - for me it just took 20 seconds (on a fast internet connection
and a 3 year old laptop).

Look into the package-cache on your disk to witness the magic that
makes Monticello fly :)

Just for fun I disabled the diff optimization and re-ran the upgrade.
It took *200* seconds!

The only package for which the server could not optimize was
"Multilingual-auto.30(edc.29).mcd". Wonder why.

- Bert -

Re: [squeak-dev] http://source.squeak.org/trunk is now at 3.10.2

garduino
Tried and worked ok here. Not so fast, but....worked.

2009/7/3 Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:

> Folks -
>
> Just as a short update the repository at http://source.squeak.org/trunk is
> now at 3.10.2. I have copied the original packages from 3.10 and created
> commits from the deltas that were in 3.10.2. I would appreciate if some of
> you could test the update process by doing the following:
>
> * Download the "original" 3.10 release at
>  http://ftp.squeak.org/3.10/Squeak3.10-7159-basic.zip
>
> * Point Monticello to http://source.squeak.org/trunk and load the latest
> version of MonticelloConfigurations to ensure you have the needed fixes for
> the next step.
>
> * Execute the following doIt:
>  MCMcmUpdater updateFromRepositories: #(
>    'http://source.squeak.org/trunk'
>  )
>
> Sit back, fetch a cup of coffee, read the newspaper, relax ;-) A little
> while later the process should complete and you should be in the same state
> as the 3.10.2 release. In addition, your version has been updated so that
> the next time you can just go to the World menu, Help, and choose "update
> code from server" (or use the Squeak flap) and you will update automatically
> from source.squeak.org (thanks Edgar!).
>
> The next step will be integrating the fixes that are already marked for
> 3.11. I did a quick test and it looks like Installer is the ticket here but
> unfortunately, I ran into some issues with the actual fixes so this will
> have to wait just a little while longer. (I'm hoping I'll get around to most
> of it on the weekend)
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

[squeak-dev] Re: http://source.squeak.org/trunk is now at 3.10.2

Klaus D. Witzel
On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 09:31:24 +0200, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Folks -
>
> Just as a short update the repository at http://source.squeak.org/trunk
> is now at 3.10.2. ...
> ... In addition, your version has been updated

Just a quick note: after updating, world -> help -> about, claims that it
is a 3.10beta.

/Klaus

On 03.07.2009, at 14:33, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 09:31:24 +0200, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> Folks -
>>
>> Just as a short update the repository at http://source.squeak.org/trunk
>>  is now at 3.10.2. ...
>> ... In addition, your version has been updated
>
> Just a quick note: after updating, world -> help -> about, claims
> that it is a 3.10beta.

This also bears the question of how to tag releases in general ...

- Bert -

On 7/3/09 9:33 AM, "Klaus D. Witzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just a quick note: after updating, world -> help -> about, claims that it
> is a 3.10beta.
And was my fault when I do it , forget to change version.

>From Squeak3.10beta of 22 July 2007 , long time of only talk, but now things
could move on

Edgar

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: http://source.squeak.org/trunk is now at 3.10.2

Ian Trudel-2
Question: someone registered on http://source.squeak.org/ can use its
login/pass to sync with the trunk, tests, and so on? All the same when
we commit? Just curious about it...

Ian.
http://mecenia.blogspot.com/

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: http://source.squeak.org/trunk is now at 3.10.2

Ken Causey-3
No password is required, all repositories are world-readable.  That
said, if you have one then just specify it when you create the
repository entry in MC and forget about it.  It either will work or not,
it won't actually be used when reading from any repository.

Also, as far as syncing goes, generally just sync with trunk.  You might
well check out things from inbox and tests for testing, but you should
save before doing so and plan to just throw away the image after you
load in for testing.

Ken

2009/7/3 Ken Causey <[hidden email]>:
> No password is required, all repositories are world-readable.  That
> said, if you have one then just specify it when you create the
> repository entry in MC and forget about it.  It either will work or not,
> it won't actually be used when reading from any repository.

There have been few suggestions in regard to have a rating system,
which should help to reward good contributors and punish the bad ones.
Then those who would want to benefit from anything more than anonymous
contribution would have to register and login.

The most important right now is to keep the momentum, as you said, and
make things simple. This was just some food for thought. I don't think
that we should enforce login whatsoever but it doesn't mean that we
shouldn't support it at all. You know, something in the spirit of
Wikipedia... maybe.

Regards,
Ian

http://mecenia.blogspot.com/

Re: [squeak-dev] http://source.squeak.org/trunk is now at 3.10.2

keith1y

> The next step will be integrating the fixes that are already marked
> for 3.11. I did a quick test and it looks like Installer is the ticket
> here but unfortunately, I ran into some issues with the actual fixes
> so this will have to wait just a little while longer. (I'm hoping I'll
> get around to most of it on the weekend)
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
Whats the point of developing a continuous integration server if you are
going to manually perform the integration?

Keith

On Sat, 04 Jul 2009 01:30:08 +0200, Ian Trudel wrote:

> 2009/7/3 Ken Causey :
>> No password is required, all repositories are world-readable.  That
>> said, if you have one then just specify it when you create the
>> repository entry in MC and forget about it.  It either will work or not,
>> it won't actually be used when reading from any repository.
>
> There have been few suggestions in regard to have a rating system,
> which should help to reward good contributors and punish the bad ones.

Hi Ian,

the source.squeak.org model is centered "around" small units, packages
(the thing supported by the MC tool). So a handful of developers can and
do work with/in the same package, usually without disturbing other teams.

You always know who's with you in "your" package(s), and resolve "bad"
contributions within the team, example: delete an unwanted contribution.

This is the same as in the Pharo fork, an identical copy (up to
isomorphism, of course ;) of tools and organization. And it is the same
for non-core packages, with developers using the www.squeaksource.com
repository (or a local repository in their shop/at home).

And then there are the release-team people, the "gods" who pull together
 from the various teams.

/Klaus

> Then those who would want to benefit from anything more than anonymous
> contribution would have to register and login.
>
> The most important right now is to keep the momentum, as you said, and
> make things simple. This was just some food for thought. I don't think
> that we should enforce login whatsoever but it doesn't mean that we
> shouldn't support it at all. You know, something in the spirit of
> Wikipedia... maybe.
>
> Regards,
> Ian

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: http://source.squeak.org/trunk is now at 3.10.2

keith1y

> Hi Ian,
>
> the source.squeak.org model is centered "around" small units, packages
> (the thing supported by the MC tool). So a handful of developers can
> and do work with/in the same package, usually without disturbing other
> teams.

Ok lets take an example.... I have a package "Logging" one  possible way
forward is to replace every instance of Transcript show: with a call to
the logging framework.  e.g. self log this.  What are the chances that
this little project will be focused upon one package where I can do my
changes "without disturbing other teams"

> You always know who's with you in "your" package(s), and resolve "bad"
> contributions within the team, example: delete an unwanted contribution.
>
> This is the same as in the Pharo fork, an identical copy (up to
> isomorphism, of course ;) of tools and organization. And it is the
> same for non-core packages, with developers using the
> www.squeaksource.com repository (or a local repository in their
> shop/at home).
>
> And then there are the release-team people, the "gods" who pull
> together from the various teams.

Which is an entirely different development model to the one proposed and
accepted by the board.

It is well known that the attrition rate for squeak release teams is
extremely high. Notice how Stephane and Marcus didnt come back for
another go, the way was open for them to at the time. Doesn't look to me
like anyone has learned that particular lesson from history.

Keith

On Sat, 04 Jul 2009 12:14:14 +0200, Keith Hodges wrote:

>> the source.squeak.org model is centered "around" small units, packages
>> (the thing supported by the MC tool). So a handful of developers can
>> and do work with/in the same package, usually without disturbing other
>> teams.
>>
> Ok lets take an example.... I have a package "Logging" one  possible way
> forward is to replace every instance of Transcript show: with a call to
> the logging framework.

There can only be one package which contains the implementation for
Transcript, so just go ahead with changing that implementation.

> e.g. self log this.  What are the chances that
> this little project will be focused upon one package where I can do my
> changes "without disturbing other teams"

What was this part of your question about? users of Transcript ?

>> You always know who's with you in "your" package(s), and resolve "bad"
>> contributions within the team, example: delete an unwanted contribution.
>>
>> This is the same as in the Pharo fork, an identical copy (up to
>> isomorphism, of course ;) of tools and organization. And it is the
>> same for non-core packages, with developers using the
>> www.squeaksource.com repository (or a local repository in their
>> shop/at home).
>>
>> And then there are the release-team people, the "gods" who pull
>> together from the various teams.
>>

> Which is an entirely different development model to the one proposed and
> accepted by the board.

[... snip, Ian proposed "punishment" for future contributors, that's what
I responded to ...]

/Klaus

Klaus D. Witzel wrote:

> On Sat, 04 Jul 2009 12:14:14 +0200, Keith Hodges wrote:

>>> the source.squeak.org model is centered "around" small units, packages
>>> (the thing supported by the MC tool). So a handful of developers can
>>> and do work with/in the same package, usually without disturbing other
>>> teams.
>>>
>> Ok lets take an example.... I have a package "Logging" one  possible way
>> forward is to replace every instance of Transcript show: with a call to
>> the logging framework.
>
> There can only be one package which contains the implementation for
> Transcript, so just go ahead with changing that implementation.
Are you kidding me?

Look for senders of #show:  I think you will find more than one caller

Keith

12